DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys,

I'm planning the above (see attached pics). The lintel I'm planning on using is 1000mm long x 65mm high (which fits in perfectly as shown in pic). Is there anything different I should be doing considering how close the new doorway will be to the corner (see pics)? The wall directly above seems to be a stud wall so I don't think the block wall continue upwards (I'm hoping there isn't a load bearing issue being as it's so close to a corner).

The lintel will have a 15mm bearing on each side. Also I'm going to use acrows with strongboys but unsure of the placement. What would you suggest? I'm thinking two underneath the one central block above the hole however the red line in the pic shows where there are some settling cracks (I can't get a £1 coin in them), should one strongboy maybe hold up the end of the block on that side? Would I also possibly need a prop for the ceiling or is this overkill?

I think this wall could be block/cavity/timberframe(?) as the wall itself is only around 260mm thick (could it be 100mm block/cavity/100mm block but with a small cavity area?). If it does consist of two 100mm blockwork walls, do I install two separate 100mm deep lintels for each wall or source one wide concrete lintel to go all the way through?

Any/all advice is welcome.

Attachments:
Floor plans.png
Floor plans.png [ 164.12 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]
WALL.png
WALL.png [ 594.9 KiB | Viewed 116 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:08 am 

I'm pretty sure that's notifiable work, I've got all sorts of paper work relating to an internal door being installed to connect my integral garage to the hallway from when I boughty house. I'd check with your local council.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:14 am 
Newly registered Member

Yes I know it is, thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:03 am 

A bit further from the corner (300mm) would be better, but Building Control can advise on that.

I think you mean 15cm bearing not 15mm, at least I hope you do.

260mm thick sounds right for a cavity wall, a standard cavity will be 50mm.

Is there a step down into the garage? Building regs will require it, iirc it's a minimum of 150mm.

692mm seems a bit small for the opening, the door will need a proper frame (complete with intumescent strips etc.), not just a lining, (regs again), although it could work with a 600mm door.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:40 am 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
A bit further from the corner (300mm) would be better, but Building Control can advise on that.

I think you mean 15cm bearing not 15mm, at least I hope you do.

260mm thick sounds right for a cavity wall, a standard cavity will be 50mm.

Is there a step down into the garage? Building regs will require it, iirc it's a minimum of 150mm.

692mm seems a bit small for the opening, the door will need a proper frame (complete with intumescent strips etc.), not just a lining, (regs again), although it could work with a 600mm door.

Hi ayjay,

Yes 150mm (haha!). There is a step down however BCO previously told me it needs to be a min of 100mm.

I've purchased a complete external fire door kit, the open aperture needs to be 692 x 2031mm for the kit. The door is only 608mm wide (only needed a small door).

I'm trying to get some sense out of the BCO but nothing as of yet (with regards to the distance from the corner). I only have 150mm to play with otherwise it obstructs something on the kitchen side of the door. My original idea was to have it under the stairs from the living room (see plan pics) so i may have to go back to that. This is more disruptive though and I'm worried that the stairs won't be supported correctly.