DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:27 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi multiman thanks for replies. The 2or 3 if possible double switched sockets I'm wanting to run from the spare mcb in house cu going to new garage cu would draw 1900w. Max that's constant over periods of 19 hours each day everyday. I am running this load now through unused socket in spare room using 3metre extensions from each double socket. they run to a 26amp 8way contractor it on 1 & 13amp 4way relay it both have inbuilt timers. From the 8way I am using around 900w and the 4way using 800w. There is only ever our daughters laptop and iPhone dock station alarm plugged in using the same curcuit. The Hoover is used on that curcuit each day and had no problems with any of it. That is ran on 32amp mcb for lower ground sockets. The upper ground level sockets have also 32amp mcb kitchen on separate mcb also cooker on own mcb no shower installed. Does this give any help to calculate loads etc? I have many earth connections on pipes around our home there is 1 on gas pipe just after gas meter around 10m away from cu and earth wires on water pipes under sink and on pipes from boiler.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:38 am 
Newly registered Member

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 111.32 KiB | Viewed 110 times ]
Can I run earth cable around 15m and use a lead water pipes in bathroom cupboard. There is an old unused switch I'm assuming was for old water heater long since gone but this is wired into upstairs lighting curcuit as I've switched breaker off and my voltage pen doesn't detect it anymore. It has an old thermostat that was obviously earthed to the water pipes in the cupboard so am I correct in assuming that I can run my earth to the same pipe that's now capped off but still full water as shown in pic with earth clamp still attached. Sorry about quality restricted to iPad at min daughter took control of pc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:41 am 
BANNED

YAM MAN wrote:
Hi multiman thanks for replies. The 2or 3 if possible double switched sockets I'm wanting to run from the spare mcb in house cu going to new garage cu would draw 1900w. Max that's constant over periods of 19 hours each day everyday. I am running this load now through unused socket in spare room using 3metre extensions from each double socket. they run to a 26amp 8way contractor it on 1 & 13amp 4way relay it both have inbuilt timers. From the 8way I am using around 900w and the 4way using 800w. There is only ever our daughters laptop and iPhone dock station alarm plugged in using the same curcuit. The Hoover is used on that curcuit each day and had no problems with any of it. That is ran on 32amp mcb for lower ground sockets. The upper ground level sockets have also 32amp mcb kitchen on separate mcb also cooker on own mcb no shower installed. Does this give any help to calculate loads etc? I have many earth connections on pipes around our home there is 1 on gas pipe just after gas meter around 10m away from cu and earth wires on water pipes under sink and on pipes from boiler.
You are missing the point just adding load to consumer unit is both the way to go have you calculated total load used on each breaker and then total load then added total load of garage which must be less than 100a and balanced I suggest an electrician using 10mmm twin and earth cable with no protection is not a correct suggestion from any decent electrician.
Just because it works does not meant it's wiring is right do you have a certificate of safety ?

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 am 
Newly registered Member

All loads that intend to be used are been used now using extension cables there is no more load going to be put on top of currently used now. Just we want the power points closer and if supplied from its own mcb or cu then it's even better. If I'm still missing what you're saying sorry I'll get it eventually. I'm far from sparky but have enough confidence in my own abilities to do what I want I'm just asking for other people that understand this more for any advise thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:05 pm 
BANNED

Can you give a list of breaker and load connected easiest way to calculate is to look on each appliance get total watts for device then watts/voltage = amps
Let me know loads sorry if I am coming across harsh but personally I believe the spark who gave you advice is a cowboy if he did not ask you to calculate too many of these people around ripping people off

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Don't mind harsh words sometimes they save lives. Appreciate the input will get loads when return home and update thanks

For this message the author YAM MAN has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:49 pm 
BANNED

YAM MAN wrote:
Don't mind harsh words sometimes they save lives. Appreciate the input will get loads when return home and update thanks
Thanks will await results you will have to go round house and switch breakers on and off to see what is on that circuit, this forum is very friendly when I first posted years a go on a electric forum got absolutely grilled had to stand my ground and fight my way up to get reputation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Not gonna get home tonight took last minute job today and am now doing a double shift overtime ££££ so will get the loads after couple hours shut eye when I get home in morning. Thanks for all help I've had amazing forum I think if we don't ask we will never know cheers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:14 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for all help. Multiman I've hired sparx who worked on my previous business address he will have it done properly but thanks for you're help greatly apprieciated but I was never very confident with 230v I'm sticking with 12v.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:52 am 
BANNED

Great that sounds like good idea.