DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi there,
I've just had a Nest 3rd Gen installed onto my Si30 boiler, first time round the installer couldn't get it talking to the heat link. Second time round with a replacement the installer got it setup and working, moving the nest temperature up and down put the boiler on and off as expected. Hot water still worked fine too.
So I've been round a couple of days later and removed the batteries from the wireless thermostat and the nest now seems to be useless. The boiler display sits there flashing the green led on and off and the flashing mast on the display. Shortly after I put the batteries back in the wireless thermostat it comes back to life again and moving the nest temperature up and down works as expected, I've done this several times to make sure I'm not going mad but it's repeatable.

Surely the wireless thermostat isn't necessary? Is it just a matter of disconnecting something within the boiler?
I've got the DT20RF wireless thermostat as in the amazon link below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORCESTER-DIGISTAT-DIGITAL-WIRELESS-THERMOSTAT/dp/B009SKYYDW

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:37 pm 

As far as I am aware the Si30 boiler does not support Open Therm so the Nest thermostat replaces the programmer and old thermostat but will only switch boiler on/off so all it really does is enable a remote control of the boiler normally using a follow command either eTRV to Nest or Nest to eTRV and in most cases the old thermostat is removed.

However yours is built into the boiler and I have been reading the instructions. I says how to fit the thermostat a blanking plate must be removed, to to remove the thermostat you would need that blanking plate. It does not say removed and discard a blanking plug where it fits into the boilers circuit board but it would seem likely that there is a blanking plug which to remove the thermostat would need replacing.

As far as I can tell the WORCESTER DT20RF DIGISTAT DIGITAL WIRELESS THERMOSTAT only turns the boiler on/off in same way as the Nest will do, it does not adjust flame height, however can't see how unless you have the original blanking plates how it can be removed.

I suppose you could get the replacement parts, but likely you would need a gas safe registration to be able to order the parts.

So the big question what will Nest do that the WORCESTER DT20RF DIGISTAT DIGITAL WIRELESS THERMOSTAT will not do? Well if will pair with eTRV's so as said either if follows valves or valves follow it but after that not much.

I had the same consideration, is it really worth installing Nest? I can with the phone control the eTRV in each room but they will not actually switch boiler on/off. However they will cause the boiler flame height to vary and also cause the boiler to cycle.

Hang on for a time, maybe some one will know how to get blanking plate and convert boiler to not have WORCESTER DT20RF DIGISTAT DIGITAL WIRELESS THERMOSTAT but I have that feeling the parts will be hard to obtain?

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:20 am 
Newly registered Member

Yes the Si30 doesn't support OpenTherm.
The main driver for me was to be able to stop the heating coming on if I'm not going to be in for the night, and to have the heating run at a lower temperature in the morning so it's warm enough to get up but not steaming hot in bed! I can do all of that with the Nest which is good.
I was also banking on being able to remove the batteries from the existing thermostat though! So I understand that the boiler has inbuilt electronics that wirelessly communicates with the existing thermostat. I guess I was on the assumption that without being able to communicate with the existing thermostat the boiler would still accept the commands to turn on from the Nest, that doesn't seem to be the case though.
If the existing wireless thermostat still needs to stay connected (unless I can find, get hold of and fit the backing plate pieces of you reference) is the only solution to set the existing thermostat to a really low temperature so it doesn't influence the Nest? It seems like the existing wireless thermostat doesn't influence when the boiler comes on right now, just that it needs to be connected to come on.
I'm concerned that I now have two things telling the boiler when to come on!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:15 pm 

ericmark wrote:
As far as I am aware the Si30 boiler does not support Open Therm ... the old thermostat is removed.

What relevance has Opentherm and e-TRVs to CFLEC's problem?