DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Nest 3rd Gen & Heatlink
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm interested in installing a nest 3rd Gen in my house now it can cope with Hot water and heating but really keen that its done properly and I'm not sure whats what. Had a look at the current setup which is a Honeywell Timer for Hot water and Heating which seems to be wired as follows.

N - Negative / black
L - Live / red
1 - Blue Wire (heating / satisfied *optional ?)
2 - nothing
3 - Red Wire (call for heat ?)
4 - Yellow wire (hot water / satisfied *optional?)

I managed to get the labeling from this image below provided by Nest (I have no idea if I can literally just hook up the same number to the same number or do I need to do more?)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

there is also a Honeywell Thermostat in the Living room which I was hoping I could install the new digital NEST thermostat in place of using what seems to be 3 wires going in to it. Labeled 1, 4 and 3. Should I assume these are the same as the 1, 4 and 3 connected to the back of the unit in the post above or would that be way off?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:24 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

:welcomeuhm: I'll move this to central heating.

For this message the author moderator2 has received gratitude : chris-w
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:44 pm 

chris-w wrote:
there is also a Honeywell Thermostat in the Living room which I was hoping I could install the new digital NEST thermostat in place of using what seems to be 3 wires going in to it. Labeled 1, 4 and 3. Should I assume these are the same as the 1, 4 and 3 connected to the back of the unit in the post above or would that be way off?

Way off. The 1,3 & 4 terminals in the programmer are HW satisified, HW demand, and CH demand. The three terminals in the room stat are most likely Live In (from terminal 4 on the programmer), a Neutral and the switched live out.

I'm guessing, from the HW satisified connection in the programmer, that this is a Y-plan system?

There should be wiring centre somewhere where these wires from the programmer, thermostat and zone valve meet up. That is likely the best place to locate your heatlink. There's a little wiring diagram for Y-plan included in the Nest installation guide (page 25) that you can follow... You can take a permanent live and neutral feed from the wiring centre to the heatlink, jumper the live wire to terminals 2 and 5 in the heatlink itself and terminals 3 (CH demand), 4 (HW satified) and 6 (HW demand) to the wiring center as per the Nest wiring diagram (they will connect, variously, to your 3 port valve and hot water tank).

After you've done that, you can re-purpose 2 of the 3 wires that go from the wiring centre to the old room thermostat to power the Nest thermostat. To do this, move the them from the terminals in the wiring centre to terminals T1 and T2 in the heatlink. Then the other ends can be removed from the old stat and connected to the backplate for the Nest thermostat (either way around, it doesn't matter). Don't connect up the Nest thermostat to the old thermostat wires until you've checked and double checked that the other ends of the wires go to T1 and T2 in the heatlink. If you put 230V through the Nest stat, you'll turn it into an expensive paperweight!

This is all based on the assumption you have a Y-plan setup (which I'm only guessing at due to the HW satisfied connection in the photo of the programmer you posted). Basically, you need to work out what you have currently, by either following the wires visually and/or using a meter. Y-plan is probably the most convoluted setup from a wiring point of view, as you've got the HW satisfied connection to go back to power the zone valve. If in any doubt about what goes where, get a heating engineer or a Nest Pro to do it. It's easy to get it wrong - best case scenario is you blow a fuse, worst case is you brick your shiny new Nest :-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:05 am 
Newly registered Member

Chrrris, thanks so much for taking the time to write that. I did some digging last night as well and pulled out the instructions for the interval timer & programmer and circled the 'Y Plan' as it was the only electrical diagram with the wires in the terminals like mine.

I'm going to have a further examination later reading through your instructions as I go through ti all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

chris-w wrote:
Chrrris, thanks so much for taking the time to write that. I did some digging last night as well and pulled out the instructions for the interval timer & programmer and circled the 'Y Plan' as it was the only electrical diagram with the wires in the terminals like mine.

I'm going to have a further examination later reading through your instructions as I go through ti all.

Hi Chris I do have similar set up at home. Did you manage to fix nest thermostat installation on this basis? Could you please share it here?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

I just signed up to say thanks to this post, I managed to resolve an issue with my Nest.

I essentially have the same setup as discussed (Honeywell thermostat and wiring centre) and wired my Nest up in October. A couple of weeks ago I realised that the hot water was coming on with the heating everyday. I had it wired incorrectly.

Now resolved, thanks to the above and all seems correct now. Happy to share info if you need it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi MrBrow, Been trying for the last couple of days to install my Nest 3rd Gen. Like you I have a Y-plan system. Like you I can control the heating, but not without also turning on hot water, and vice-versa. I have taken the whole system out now, and reverted back to my Honeywell programmer/controller. Can you give me any tipes? I should add my Nest Thermostat was controlling temperature perfectly, so no problem connecting the thermostat with the existing wiring.

Can you, or anyone help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

AlanRW wrote:
Hi MrBrow, Been trying for the last couple of days to install my Nest 3rd Gen. Like you I have a Y-plan system. Like you I can control the heating, but not without also turning on hot water, and vice-versa. I have taken the whole system out now, and reverted back to my Honeywell programmer/controller. Can you give me any tipes? I should add my Nest Thermostat was controlling temperature perfectly, so no problem connecting the thermostat with the existing wiring.

Can you, or anyone help.

Hi,

Do you have a Honeywell wiring centre as well?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:22 am 
Newly registered Member

mrbrow wrote:
AlanRW wrote:

Can you, or anyone help.

Hi,

Do you have a Honeywell wiring centre as well?

Thanks for replying. No, I just have a standard 10 connection wiring box.
1,2,3 are all standard (L, N, E);
4 is now not in use since I removed the room thermostat
5 is where my nest output 3 (call for heat) connects with White cable of the 3 port valve
6 is where my Nest output 6 call for heat) connects with the cylinder thermostat
7 is where my Nest output 4 (satisfied optional) connects with Grey cable of the 3 port valve and one of the cylinder thermostat connections

Does this help?

PS With the heating running, if I now turn on the hot water, the heating goes off. To get the heating back on I have to turn off the hot water.

PPS I'm wondering whether I have 6 and 7 the wrong way round?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:30 am 
Newly registered Member

OK, think I have fixed this. This seems to have been the problem:

When I moved into this house 11 years ago, the radiators would come on when the hot water only was selected. I was having new bathrooms at the time, so asked the plumber for a solution. For some unknown reason he decided to fit an additional 2 port on the hot water side of the 3 port! Needless to say it did not solve the problem.

When I developed more understanding of our heating system, I spotted a wrong wire connection. When I corrected this, it solved the problem.

So, 11 years later I am trying to install Nest. I have port wires everywhere! I have eventually decided that the best solution is to switch the 2 port to manual open and remove all of its wires. So in effect it is now just a pipe. The 3 port should now be able to function exclusively and control CH/HW/Cylinder stat/pump/boiler etc.

Although this all seems to work properly now, I didn't really understand why the 'two valve' solution worked with the old ST6400 programmer. I can only assume that in the Nest process I had left a poor connection. All connections are now secure, and I have the benefit of a standard Y-plan installation.

Happy......for the moment!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:21 am 
Newly registered Member

I have installed Nest 3rd gen. It is working perfectly. In fact just been away for a few days and the 'Away' function was fantastic. Lovely to come back to a warm house with hot water.

However, I have the thermostat/display unit connected via USB. If I connect using T1 and T2 with wires, the Heat Link will not power up (no green lights at all). I have even tried disconnecting the old thermostat wires in the wall, taking the new Nest thermostat to the Heat Link box, and connecting with short 'jumper wires' directly to T1 and T2. Still no power up on the Heat Link.

Anyone got any suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

So, here's a heartwarming story. Not having found a solution to my problem, I finally decided to drop Nest an e-mail. They were back in touch by phone the next day. The customer service agent listened to my problem, but didn't have a solution. He transferred me to one of their technical engineers. Having explained to him, he was also perplexed. He decided to dispatch a replacement HeatLink box, and arrange for an engineer to install the new box. All at their expense. I was subsequently contacted by a Nest representative who gave me chapter and verse of what would now happen, including how the installation engineer would make contact.

It all went like clockwork. The box arrived after 3 days, and the installation engineer turned up the following morning.

Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. So both the engineer and I agreed it had to be the thermostat base unit. I notified Nest, and they dispatched a new unit.

It arrived today. I fitted it and SUCCESS! Everything is now working exactly as it should.

I can't tell you what a pleasure it has been dealing with Nest. Their customer service is THE best I have ever experienced.

Well done Nest.