DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:31 pm 

My neighbour is doing a side extension in his house and he has put scaffolding on my land. He said it will stay there for 4-5 weeks but now is been 3 months. He also removed my side gate to gain access his building works. Will these invalidate my home insurance?
I don't think he has scaffolding liability or builders insurance. He is doing most of the works himself.

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:36 pm 

Did you give him permission to put the scaffolding on your land and remove your gate? He can work without insurance if he wants to but will be personally liable if anything goes wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
Did you give him permission to put the scaffolding on your land and remove your gate? He can work without insurance if he wants to but will be personally liable if anything goes wrong.

Yes. He asked me 3 months ago verbally and I said yes and asked for how long and he said for 4-5 weeks. Are you saying he will personally be liable? If so and if he can't afford it when something goes wrong, doesn't mean much to me. The important matter for me whether his scaffolding on my land invalidates my home insurance?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:17 pm 

Ask your insurance company ? I would imagine that his (your neighbours) insurance would cover any damage though.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:56 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Ask your insurance company ? I would imagine that his (your neighbours) insurance would cover any damage though.

Scaffolding liability insurance or builder insurance is required according to a surveyor I just spoke to and my neighbour won't have it. I am now worried if it affects my home insurance in case something happens. It's been 3 months and it's time to ask him to remove it as soon as. The reason being he is only working on the house two days a week and i'ts a big extension and will take another 6 months at least to finish at this rate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:21 pm 

My neighbour is now becoming too much of a nuisance. I spoke to him 2 weeks ago and explained to him to remove the scaffolding from my land and he told me it will be taken off by Thursday or Friday this week but still there. I spoke to a party wall surveyor and he said if all fails then head to courts and get court injunction to be removed. My neighbour is a lying tosser. I should have made a written contract and charge him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:44 pm 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Write to him with an ultimatum and then start court proceedings.