DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Need to add power point
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:25 pm 

Hi
I am going to put washing machine in the under stair case area. I have everything plumb wise except mains. The kitchen is next to the washing machine place, single skin brick wall between them and there is a kitchen ring point on the wall. Can I just take a spur from there for the washing machine? How do I run the mains cable from one side of the wall to the other side? I can always use surface mount socket for the washing machine.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:18 pm 

Providing where you take the mains from is not itself a spur, then yes you can spur off of it. (Also so long as its not the cooker cable)

How you get the cable there is up to you. Most would drill a hole through the wall, then run the cable elsewhere as the hole is too small. :lol:

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:03 pm 

Electrics not a problem however considering the number of fires with washing machines, are you sure under the stairs is a good idea? I know we had a tumble drier above the stairs, but that was before all the fires.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:31 am 

ericmark wrote:
Electrics not a problem however considering the number of fires with washing machines

:scratch:

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:55 am 

ericmark wrote:
Electrics not a problem however considering the number of fires with washing machines, are you sure under the stairs is a good idea? I know we had a tumble drier above the stairs, but that was before all the fires.

I called it under stair case but it is a proper toilet room already as house built with water and sewage and wall light, tiled over concrete floor, 2.0m height plasterboard square ceiling about 0.9m width by 1.2m depth but I am putting washing machine there and have 2 other WCs and this one never used because next to kitchen.... Do you agree it is OK?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 am 

someone-else wrote:
Providing where you take the mains from is not itself a spur, then yes you can spur off of it. (Also so long as its not the cooker cable)

No it's not cooker. just normal double 13A socket currently used for fridge and doorbell. It seems it is last socket in the kitchen ring. Will it be OK to spur off?

For this message the author yartin has received thanks - 2: james232, multiman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:23 am 
BANNED

Yes won't be a problem to spur off, however I advise to have ring tested for continuity, insulation resistance and safety test after completing.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 am 

multiman wrote:
Yes won't be a problem to spur off, however I advise to have ring tested for continuity, insulation resistance and safety test after completing.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

I have RCD fuse box for the main house but also considering to install double rcd 13A switched socket for extra safety for this spur socket, will that be ok?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:47 pm 

Not point in second RCD you can get 10 mA but very expensive and not really required, yes I see in your case under stairs not a problem, and as long as it is off a ring which is intact then not problem.

The testing of a ring is easy with a meter, with your power off, you will have two of each wire to existing socket on the ring final, on continuity it should show less than 4 ohms between each pair of wires, the earth will likely be a bit higher than line and neutral but as long as they show connected to each other i.e. red should be connected to red, black to black and green/yellow to green/yellow then it's a ring. Or with new colours. You should really unplug everything to test, it the isolator is off then there will be no connection between line and neutral, line and earth and earth and neutral. However if you only switch off the MCB then very likely you will find neutral and earth seem connected. Also even with MCB off touching neutral to earth can trip the RCD, so expect that RCD will trip and warn people to log off computers before you start.

Because a washing machine takes a lot of current it is very important to ensure the ring is intact.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : yartin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:17 pm 

ericmark wrote:
Not point in second RCD you can get 10 mA but very expensive and not really required, yes I see in your case under stairs not a problem, and as long as it is off a ring which is intact then not problem.

The testing of a ring is easy with a meter, with your power off, you will have two of each wire to existing socket on the ring final, on continuity it should show less than 4 ohms between each pair of wires, the earth will likely be a bit higher than line and neutral but as long as they show connected to each other i.e. red should be connected to red, black to black and green/yellow to green/yellow then it's a ring. Or with new colours. You should really unplug everything to test, it the isolator is off then there will be no connection between line and neutral, line and earth and earth and neutral. However if you only switch off the MCB then very likely you will find neutral and earth seem connected. Also even with MCB off touching neutral to earth can trip the RCD, so expect that RCD will trip and warn people to log off computers before you start.

Because a washing machine takes a lot of current it is very important to ensure the ring is intact.

I was thinking of 30mA RCD double socket around £10.

The testing sounds straight forward which will do, may thanks.

For this message the author yartin has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:13 pm 

yartin wrote:

I called it under stair case but it is a proper toilet room already as house built with water and sewage and wall light, tiled over concrete floor, 2.0m height plasterboard square ceiling about 0.9m width by 1.2m depth but I am putting washing machine there and have 2 other WCs and this one never used because next to kitchen.... Do you agree it is OK?

Nope. Putting a socket in a room that small that contains a toilet and presumably a basin is not OK.

However if there is a socket on the other side of the single skin wall then you can drill through with a 3/4 inch bit, remove the molded plug from the washing machine, line the hole that you've just drilled with say a few inches of garden hose ...

Pass the cut supply cable through the hose and wire a new plug..

whether this complies to the 17th edition regs (Part 3) :dunno: :hiding:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:29 pm 

Removing the factory fitted plug is NEVER a good idea.

The reason is that often a "well its a plug isn't it" will be fitted. It needs a good quality plug and secure connections, also if the plug is in another room you can't isolate the w/m from the room it is in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:04 pm 

Would the flex of the washer reach the socket on the other side of the wall if a small hole was drilled through the wall next to the socket?.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:17 pm 

someone-else wrote:
Removing the factory fitted plug is NEVER a good idea.

You do talk sh1t sometimes someone-else ... and this is one of those "sometimes" :salute:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:31 pm 

wine~o wrote:
yartin wrote:

Nope. Putting a socket in a room that small that contains a toilet and presumably a basin is not OK.

However if there is a socket on the other side of the single skin wall then you can drill through with a 3/4 inch bit, remove the molded plug from the washing machine, line the hole that you've just drilled with say a few inches of garden hose ...

Pass the cut supply cable through the hose and wire a new plug..

whether this complies to the 17th edition regs (Part 3) :dunno: :hiding:

Toilet and wash basin will be taken off/ cancelled.