DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:49 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:07 pm 

Attachment:
Wet-and-Dry-Bench-Grinder.jpg
Wet-and-Dry-Bench-Grinder.jpg [ 74.32 KiB | Viewed 1041 times ]

I have this type of bench grinder but the tool rest is rubbish so would anyone know what I could replace it with but It needs to work with both stones. I was thinking of buying this type of rest but it's a bit expensive.
Attachment:
Welded.jpg
Welded.jpg [ 162.69 KiB | Viewed 1041 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 pm 
Old School Chippie

That is a generic grinder sold by qite a few people. Take a look at the Axminster Power Tool website to see some of the options available. The second photo looks like a Tru-Grind jig, although many similar jigs are available. Having two differently mounted stones like that will probably meanthat two separate rests will be required. If the grinder is permanently fixed to a plywood base it should be possible to build two hardwood or plywood jigs at fixed angles to do the primary grinding and fix those to the sub-base as well

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : curtains
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:30 am 

If I was to buy or make a jig for the wet stone it would need to be higher than 8½" to clear the water tank. Something like the tormek bgm-100 bench grinder mounting kit would be ok but then I would need to find a way to fit it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:58 pm 
Old School Chippie

Why? Fix the grinder onto a piece of plywood and pack-up your jigs atop pieces of plywood. Trying to find an off the shelf jig to work (unmodified) with your wetstone and is cheapish will probably be doomed to failure. The Tormek holders (and for that matter the equivalent items from Jet, Scheppach and Record wetstone grinders) can all be purchased separately, but AFAIK they aren't cheap and will require some modification to work with a grinder such as yours - having owners Tormek at one time I can say that the jigs are OK but that a home made holder could easily be made from some pieces of hardwood or built-up from pieces of ply or welded together then screwed onto the plywood base. It isn'f that difficult. Hence my original suggestion to DIY

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : curtains
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 pm 

:withstupid:

Nine times out of ten, bought in jigs that are designed to fit something else end up being more trouble to modify than it is to make something from scratch for the job

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : curtains
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
Why? Fix the grinder onto a piece of plywood and pack-up your jigs atop pieces of plywood. Trying to find an off the shelf jig to work (unmodified) with your wetstone and is cheapish will probably be doomed to failure. The Tormek holders (and for that matter the equivalent items from Jet, Scheppach and Record wetstone grinders) can all be purchased separately, but AFAIK they aren't cheap and will require some modification to work with a grinder such as yours - having owners Tormek at one time I can say that the jigs are OK but that a home made holder could easily be made from some pieces of hardwood or built-up from pieces of ply or welded together then screwed onto the plywood base. It isn'f that difficult. Hence my original suggestion to DIY
I don't have a welder so it looks like I will have to make a jig out of wood unless I can bolt a few angle brackets together.