DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:15 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all
I used to use a Tacwise 191el nail gun for nailing beading when doing laminate flooring which lasted 3 years. So when I replaced it I bought the Tacwise Duo 50 thinking I could use it for beading and maybe Architraves.
Anyway it broke after 6 months and I found it too powerful for beadings and dented them and not powerful enough for architraves (Useless Thing) Anyway they have sent me a brand new replacement which I am planning on selling for about £100. Was going to go back to the Tacwise 191el but now thinking of putting that £100 to a better nail gun.
I don't min if it is corded or cordless (Don't want air compressor one). Ideally I would like to be able to adjust the power on it and it will mainly be used for beading laminate flooring, MDF/wood architraves and a bonus would be if it could also do Skirting boards to block. Looking to spend around £250-£300 approx.
Anyone use a nail gun that can do this or can recommend one?
Thanks Girls & Guys

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:14 pm 

I think you are sort of asking for two different things, there. For small mouldings (e.g. glazing beads, etc) I tend to use an 18ga nailer - for architraves and skirtings I generally use a 16ga gun. The 16ga gun will drive up to 63mm, but will split small mouldings, especially hardwoods, whilst the 18ga gun will handle brads up to 50mm but isn't man enough to hold things like architraves in place unless you glue them as well. BTW these are fairly standard lengths for the gauges stated across the market. I actually use DW cordless guns, having changed from Passlodes about 6 years ago, but I wouldn't recomend them unless you already have DW 18volt NiMH gear because they haven't yet made it into lithium-powered versions (and may not do so, the rate DW are going!). There are some very interesting guns ariound, like the Senco Fusion, but overall the market is still predominently gas guns or compressor driven guns (which can be a pain to lug around a job - tried that and gave up a long time back). Sorry that's not a positive recommendation.

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:24 pm 

I've owned both the paslode and dewalt finish nailers. The dewalt are good,especially in winter as you have not got the cold gas issue to worry about. I'd say the only drawback is the dewalt ability to shoot larger nails(50mm plus) into hardwood.
My paslode finish nailers haven't really skipped a beat,really reliable compared to the 1st fix nailers but you do get issues in very cold weather as the gas doesn't work very well and you constantly need to warm it up. It manages the bigger nails no problem tho.
Both my guns are 1.6g,as job and knock says you'll need a 1.8g for smaller beading etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:24 pm 

ive got the passlode 16g straight gun. angled maybe better i guess.

for lam mouldings theres headless pin guns available but they need a compressor to work. ya can get really small compressors though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:52 am 

fin wrote:
for lam mouldings theres headless pin guns available but they need a compressor to work. ya can get really small compressors though.

You're a bit out of date there, Fin. Makita actually do a 23 gauge cordless pinner, the BPT351 (and have done for 4 or 5 years):

but NOT cheap at £320 (bare!). There's also a 14.4 volt version as well. Perhaps ideal for on-site work where dragging a hose around over polished surfaces could cause damage, but 23ga pins are really only used to hold the moulding whilst the glue goes off and I reckon only really iseful for furniture mouldings, not flooring stuff

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!