DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:09 am 

What i'm after is a pair of pliers similar to this example:

I need a sturdier version with a longer handle and 2 lathed parts to screw into each side.

I can illustrate the parts I need on computer, but don't have the skills or the tools to do it
for real.

One part is pretty straight forward, it simply has a dished head, the other part has been
lathed into a spike then grinded a bit to make a knife point.

The purpose of this tool relates to wedge riveted chainmaile making, the tool creates a slit
in a chainmaile ring wherein a wedge rivet is then placed and closed shut.

Can anyone make this tool?
Cheers
Noel.C
Belfast.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:47 am 

I am sure a machine shop could. They would also need to be hardened by the sound of it for the purpose intended.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Noel32Belfast
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:18 am 

Thank you for response.

I don't buy into the requirement of the 'Drifting' part of the tool needing to be tempered
or made from exotic materials. My reasoning for this is due to the fact that
a chainmaile ring does not have a uniform thickness. The area of the ring
prepped for riveting is considerably thinner by comparison to the rest.

I intend to work with 18 gauge Black Iron wire so that's 1.27mm beaten down to about 0.8mm
with a riveting area of about 0.4mm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:28 am 

That and the fact that I already went to a machine shop, got 6 months of my time wasted,
got £50 of my money stole and received no service. I'm a bit peeved at that and would rather
just not go through it again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:56 am 

Yes it might not need to be hardened for doing a few holes, but on a mail shirt you would be doing thousands of holes and any material is going to wear doing that. If you are using a ground hand drift to make the holes this is not a problem as you can re-shape and sharpen the edge an infinite number of times as needed, on those plier heads though you only have one shot at it, maybe a couple of re-sharpens at most before the spike will have worn away and then you need a whole new plier head.
I think you would be looking at an expensive little bit of kit since they are going to be very small, requiring a small thread and accurate grinding. Special mandrels would need to be made to aid in manufacture. What is the diameter on those heads for instance?

If you really don't want to go for hardened steel then you might just be able to get a set made using an appropriately sized and shape grade 8 bolt, this would just need the head modifying. The anvil would be easy, I could knock that up in a few minutes, it's the cutter/drift that would be harder.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Noel32Belfast
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:08 am 

I understand what you are saying.
Let me see if I can rethink my approach regarding the drift and try to simplify it.

Cheers
Noel.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:24 am 

The only thing that springs to mind right now is the elimination of the drifting tool and
instead use a common nail, with a thumb screw to hold it in place. I can then
grind the nail head into the correct shape.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:33 am 

Let me see if I have this right.

You said
Noel32Belfast wrote:
Can anyone make this tool?

So you want some one that you do not know, to make you a tool that you have designed with equipment you hope they may have?

And when you went (as suggested) to a machine shop who have all the correct tools etc to make your design, you then said

Noel32Belfast wrote:
That and the fact that I already went to a machine shop, got 6 months of my time wasted,
got £50 of my money stole and received no service. I'm a bit peeved at that and would rather just not go through it again.

I would have to ask exactly what happened. No one in business is going to look at your drawings and do any type of work on them for free. If the company you went to did nothing for £50 why did you not ask for it back?

Also there is the question of insurance, a "machine shop" company will have insurance should anything go wrong / get damaged etc. I suggest that you should go to another "machine shop" and get a 2nd opinion from them.

If a forum member does attempt what you want and you are not happy, no doubt you will complain on here about them too, I just don't think a forum is the place to ask for some one to do a job, but it is a place to ask for recommendations or help.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:44 am 

I don't want to discuss what happened at the machine shop and I have had bits bobs made online before, I have no problem with it.

Why would I complain about getting something made based on specifications I have provided, what on earth are you talking about.

Right now, this job requires a pair of pliers, a bolt, a drill press and tapping set and I AM on a forum called the ultimate bloody handyman
aren't I. How about being quiet, its a bit too early in the morning to be listening to you being a moany git.

For this message the author Noel32Belfast has received thanks - 6: Chris Skilbeck, Gadget, Job and Knock, philprime, steviejoiner74, wine~o
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:14 am 

Noel32Belfast wrote:
Why would I complain about getting something made based on specifications I have provided, what on earth are you talking about.

This

Noel32Belfast wrote:
got £50 of my money stole and received no service.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:29 am 

Sounds like a job Colin could do :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received thanks - 2: Noel32Belfast, Retired
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:43 am 

someone-else he was a marijuana smoking ass hat that took my money and buggered off with it and I don't want to talk about it
so just knock it on the head.

Who's Colin?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:53 am 

Col did some machining for me and a bloody good job he did too.

I did have others offering their services too so the willingness is there, that's for sure! This may be as a result of me being a regular contributor though as newcomers could be seen as just using the forum for 'convenience' (not that I'm making that assumption about the OP).

There is an obvious need for such one-off 'amateur' services and someone looking to make a small business out of it could do quite well (IMHO).

As for the modifications required, the OPs own idea for a nail through the jaw of the tool seems workable but using a bolt in a threaded hole would remove the need for the nail retainer.....:dunno:

For this message the author kellys_eye has received thanks - 2: Noel32Belfast, Retired
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:01 pm 

Nails are a bit more easy to fashion into the drift by comparison. The only worry I
would have about the nail and retainer idea would be the forces exerted on the retainer
might strip away the threading after a while, not sure, I suppose that's all dependent
on the depth it can be screwed down to and so dependent on the type of plier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:16 pm 

I have PM'd Colin to have a look at this thread :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Noel32Belfast
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 179 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next