DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:13 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:09 pm 

Is there not the chance that he may have told a.n other to come back at half 12, and he has told you the time he thinks he will have done their job. Perhaps if you had of gone back you would have found out. Just saying.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:11 pm 

I fix punctures myself now. Got sick of being charged 20-25 quid or forking out for a new tyre because
the tyre fitter claimed it was not fixable.
You get a nice kit off eBay for 12 or 13 quid that's supposed to be a temporary fix but I've ran tyres for over a year on one of the fixes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:13 pm 

fitzy wrote:
kellys_eye wrote:

Staff generally treat the customers the way they're treated by the management.

Do you really believe that?

Bosses not been nice so I'll alienate customers and get the sack?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Again, I agree with kellys_eye.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:13 pm 

someone-else wrote:
Is there not the chance that he may have told a.n other to come back at half 12, and he has told you the time he thinks he will have done their job. Perhaps if you had of gone back you would have found out. Just saying.

No, he said he was having his "lunch hour" and wouldn't be doing anything while 1 o'clock.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:19 pm 

someone-else wrote:
fitzy wrote:
kellys_eye wrote:

Staff generally treat the customers the way they're treated by the management.

Do you really believe that?

Bosses not been nice so I'll alienate customers and get the sack?

Again, I agree with kellys_eye.

Each to their own, but that's certainly not my way of thinking.

How badly do you think national tyres treat this guy to make him so inflexible?

Do you think they avoid paying him on time because the account lady was eating?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:21 pm 

An hours a long lunch break is it not? Half an hour is the norm at work and a ten minute tea break in the morning.
You've got to laugh at folk who work in a place that's not busy or they can spend periods where no customers are in so they are getting paid whilst doing hee haw and still insist on having a break when a customer pops in.
I'm with you fitzy,I'd have f*cked off elsewhere too and wouldn't be going back either. Customer service goes a long way and you'll always go back to places that treat you well.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:22 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
An hours a long lunch break is it not? Half an hour is the norm at work and a ten minute tea break in the morning.
You've got to laugh at folk who work in a place that's not busy or they can spend periods where no customers are in so they are getting paid whilst doing hee haw and still insist on having a break when a customer pops in.
I'm with you fitzy,I'd have f*cked off elsewhere too and wouldn't be going back either. Customer service goes a long way and you'll always go back to places that treat you well.

Exactly mate. I drive past that place on many an occasion and there are no cars in the bays.

Just a little bit of flexibility goes a long way.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:28 pm 

If employees have been given short-shrift by the management then they'll certainly not respect that management and do what they can to subvert his position - ideally without dropping themselves in it but, in today's climate it's often difficult to sack someone on-the-spot and especially so if all they're doing is abiding by the terms and conditions of their employment (which surely provides for a lunch break).

Had the staff had respect for management and the job itself they would indeed have been more accommodating to the customer - why wouldn't they?

There appears to be more to the situation than is readily apparent but speculation on what that may be is pointless without inside information.

As a (former) customer all you can do is take your business elsewhere and the management will have to answer to the bosses for why business is in decline - the employee (unless on a shareholding basis) probably couldn't give a flying version.

I've found that in 99% of all cases that poor service is directly due to management incompetence/indifference. And if it isn't, it should be - that's what their job is supposed to be.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:39 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
If employees have been given short-shrift by the management then they'll certainly not respect that management and do what they can to subvert his position - ideally without dropping themselves in it but, in today's climate it's often difficult to sack someone on-the-spot and especially so if all they're doing is abiding by the terms and conditions of their employment (which surely provides for a lunch break).

Had the staff had respect for management and the job itself they would indeed have been more accommodating to the customer - why wouldn't they?

There appears to be more to the situation than is readily apparent but speculation on what that may be is pointless without inside information.

As a (former) customer all you can do is take your business elsewhere and the management will have to answer to the bosses for why business is in decline - the employee (unless on a shareholding basis) probably couldn't give a flying version.

I've found that in 99% of all cases that poor service is directly due to management incompetence/indifference. And if it isn't, it should be - that's what their job is supposed to be.

I don't think these guys are treated badly by their superiors. They're probably left so much to their own devices that they've just become complacent.

All this is besides the point though really. The crux of the matter is that I wasn't happy with the lack of service offered and why.

If you guys think that acceptable customer behaviour, for whatever reason then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't care if they're treated too well, badly or given pet names by the manager.

I was just a regular customer that was turned away in favour of an almost finished fish and chip dinner.

Without mentioning names or a branch I've emailed the company and told them of my experience. Will see what they say.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:47 pm 

fitzy wrote:

Without mentioning names or a branch I've emailed the company and told them of my experience. Will see what they say.

They'll probably ask if it was Cod or Haddock...

Seriously Fitzy; if it hadn't been for the guy with attitude at a national company.. you wouldn't have found the local company with a "can do" attitude. and they are more competitive on pricing... I'd call that a bonus.

As to every-one defending the guys attitude... :sad:

There is no excuse for that.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:51 pm 

fitzy wrote:

If you guys think that acceptable customer behaviour, for whatever reason then we'll have to agree to disagree.

I don't think it's acceptable AT ALL.

But considering you walked away and (still?) haven't taken a complaint to the management then how can you expect anything to change?

Most management would be horrified to learn of such behaviour and, had it been me, I'd have given the disgruntled customer a discount voucher for their next visit by way of compo - then gone and reamed out the to$$er who brought 'my' business into disrepute.

So, will you go back and make a difference or will you leave it be and let someone else do it?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:51 pm 

wine~o wrote:
fitzy wrote:

They'll probably ask if it was Cod or Haddock...

Seriously Fitzy; if it hadn't been for the guy with attitude at a national company.. you wouldn't have found the local company with a "can do" attitude. and they are more competitive on pricing... I'd call that a bonus.

Correct mate! I did come out of it well in the end. Turns out I know the other guy from years ago as well, and he also does repairs and servicing.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 pm 

wine~o wrote:

I hope you're not including me in that generalisation? :lol: I don't think 'anyone' was defending the attitude, just trying to decipher it.

Last edited by kellys_eye on Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:55 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:

So, will you go back and make a difference or will you leave it be and let someone else do it?

I vote with my feet and my £ notes..

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:57 pm 

wine~o wrote:
kellys_eye wrote:

I vote with my feet and my £ notes..

I agree - to a point. You are thereby allowing (potentially) one arrogant and disrespectful employee from ruining what could be half a dozen other peoples lives.

Sure, take your business elsewhere but the right thing to do would be to make your grievance known too - if only to save an innocent persons job.