DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: My first router table
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:05 pm 

Built my first little router table, just something basic to make using my new Katsu router a bit safer and more convenient with dust extraction. Made entirely from scraps I just wanted something small and easy to store that could be setup in a workmate. MFC for the table top and some framing lumber for the fence which I trued up with a jack plane so it is straight and square to the table. Could do with putting some melamine or something on the face so it slides a bit easier, I may re-visit the fence in the future. Happy with the table top though. And happy with the single pivot principle of the fence.
Works a treat, nice and stable and feels very safe. Dust extraction is superb, nothing seemed to escape once the cutter was in the workpiece, the auto socket on my parkside vac makes it super simple to use and I don't have to reach under to switch the router on and off.

Attachments:
IMG_20171103_130955.jpg
IMG_20171103_130955.jpg [ 173.49 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]
IMG_20171103_131147.7 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20171103_131147.7 - Copy.jpg [ 219.77 KiB | Viewed 486 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Rorschach has received thanks - 2: Job and Knock, multiman
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:21 pm 
Old School Chippie

Nice one! :thumbright:

Thanks for sharing

It's the sort of thing I've made up on job sites a few times over the years (albeit a bit neater in the execution!), the main differences being that my fence would generally either be a straight rip of 18 to 25mm ply or a bit of 3 x 2 PSE softwood and that mine sit on top of two trestles or sometimes a box. BTW a quick rub with the nub of a wax candle on the bed and face of the fence can work wonders in terms of "slideability". Works on the soles of hand planes and bottoms of routers and power planers, too

How'r you finding the Katsu? I notice that they've recently added an offset base to the range of accessories but at under half the price of the OEM version. The Katsu bases fit the RT0700 as well. Bit of a niche market item but nevertheless good to see they've done it.
Attachment:
Katsu offset base 001-01.jpg
Katsu offset base 001-01.jpg [ 92.53 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

The plastic sub-base on that offset base together with a handle makes a good extended base for extra stability, something AIM Tools must know as they offer a complete unit now
Attachment:
Katsu fixed base with extended sub base 001-01.jpg
Katsu fixed base with extended sub base 001-01.jpg [ 111.95 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 pm 

This is far from neat as it is only made from scraps I had laying around but the important things are there, the router is square to the table and the fence is also square to the table and locks securely in place.
I am really quite pleased with the Katsu, sure it has a few rough areas here and there but the motor is quiet and very smooth, everything works as it should and it seems to have enough power as long as you are conservative with your cuts. Dust extraction using the trimmer base is superb, even better when using it on my little table. For the price I think it's a stonking bargain.

I did see those offset bases, not something I think I will use but good to have such an accessory available.

I think the first thing I will use this table and router to build is a base that will slide along my track saw tracks as I reckon that would be really good for doing dados.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:27 am 
Old School Chippie

If it's any hep Makita already do a guide rail adapter which fits and might be the right thing for housings providing your cutter matches the timber thickness:

Attachment:
Makita guide rail adapter for RT0700 001-01.jpg
Makita guide rail adapter for RT0700 001-01.jpg [ 49.02 KiB | Viewed 393 times ]

One of the good features of the RT0700/Katsu is that the fence rod diameter (8mm), spacings, etc are identical to those on the Makita RP1110C, deWalt DW615/621/622, Elu MOF96/OF97, Trend T5, etc. so there are many options open to you for expansion in that direction

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:40 am 

That's good to know. I was thinking of just making my own since I am pretty sure I have rods of the right size and I I would just make my own little guide block from wood. Something to research anyway.
From what you say about accessories I think getting the Katsu and selling the Bosch was a good plan.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:17 pm 

Looked through my collection and I found I have a couple of feet of 5/16th Chromed rod which will do very nicely for making up a guide rail adaptor I think.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:49 pm 

I made my first router table around my Blacker and Decker drill stand as my first B&D router (1979) was more like a drill fitting. Mounted overhead I used a variety of guide pins and fences to do what I wanted. Necessity is the mother of invention and looking back I managed quite a lot. My purpose made router table has been great though and I have done loads of different routing work.

I am sure you will move forward to a shop bought table in due course but what you have made will do plenty of jobs to broaden your experience. :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:54 pm 
BANNED

Nice work

Sent from my LG-K100 using Tapatalk