DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:40 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 pm 

Hi

Hope this is not too far outside the topic boundary of this sub forum....

I'm moving to rural Wales soon and will be looking to buy a new vehicle. I'm looking for something that:

- Can handle bad weather (mainly snow and ice); especially with regard to hills
- Has good road clearance for when driving poorly maintained country roads (or the odd forestry track etc)
- Can get out of the way of other cars easily (i.e. when having to get onto the side of the road, where again good clearance will help)
- Is still ok for long distances. I have family in Norfolk/Suffolk and so will be making the trip home 3 - 4 times a year.
- Is reasonably economical to run.
- Will cost around the £7-8k mark.

I've already done a bit of reading about, and probably the most important thing I've learnt so far is that a set of winter tyres will serve you much better in poor weather than a 4x4 with normal tyres. But will be interested to hear what anyone thinks about that.

I'll show my hand... I do like the Dacia Duster. Gets pretty good reviews on the whole, and is an amazing price. The clearance seems really good and seems to beat other vehicles of the type. I also like the size.

But now it's over to you guys... What do you think would be a good choice and are there other things I have overlooked.

Cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:28 pm 

The most important thing is how much you want to spend? A Duster is a cheap vehicle but it does not have the refinements of more modern cars based on old Renault technology. However, it will do the job and at an affordable price. Look for a demo model in March when the best deals are around as dealers try to increase their volume related bonus from the manufacturers on shifting as many cars as possible.

DWD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:44 am 

Your budget is not a lot, you can pickup a lot of Landrovers for that type of money, however I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole, :lol: The Duster is very popular here in France, but I dont know their second hand prices, I have a new Hilux, everything you want but at the wrong price, they tend to be bullet prove and they keep their values, also had a 2005 L200, again never any problem with it. I would join one or two of the owners forums, you will get a better understanding of that particular model.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:15 am 

Have you considered a Subaru Forester?
Not the best ground clearance in it's class but quite a bit more than a 'car' and a very capable 4wd system.
Yes winter tyres make a massive difference in the snow and ice.
A set of snow chains take it to the next level and will pretty much take you anywhere a tractor can go, ground clearance permitting.
You'll get around 35 mpg average from an older, petrol, non-turbo model.
Oh and pulling the ABS fuse will half your stopping distance on snow and ice in just about any vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:29 am 

I would say forester but the diesel isn't good and the petrols can be a bit fragile, anything 4 wheel drive will do the trick

Hubnut on youtube seems to cope well with his fleet of odd cars in them there hills, decent wipers are a must

edit. off the top of my head for your money

Yeti
Rav4
Cr-v
Freelander
Cherokee
Kuga ?
Tiguan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm 

What was that 4x4 the (old) Top Geaer team tried to destroy but couldn't? The one the terrorists all use to mount anti-aircraft guns on? Toyota summat?

Maybe simply the 'Toyota Pickup'.

We had (briefly, before Mrs k_e turned it upside down in a ditch (3,000 miles on the clock ::b ) a Ford Ranger which was very comfortable, 4-door cab version, good ground clearance, excellent carrying capacity (we'd go logging with it), good mpg (35mpg average and a 2.1 litre motor) and supposedly good all-round. You can get a good quality one with a rear cab fitted for the money you're quoting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:01 pm 

I think the OP definitely needs a "Stolly" (Alvis Stalwart) :mrgreen:

Otherwise do what most of the rest of us rural types do, drive a normal car, and reverse to the nearest passing space rather than pull off onto soft verges.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
I think the OP definitely needs a "Stolly" (Alvis Stalwart) :mrgreen:

Otherwise do what most of the rest of us rural types do, drive a normal car, and reverse to the nearest passing space rather than pull off onto soft verges.

A Unimog will do, it manages the Dakar fine, plus there's room for a flock of sheep

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:13 pm 

I was going to suggest putting wheels on a sheep but the OP's price range didn't mention 'per kg'.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:25 am 

[quote="kellys_eye"]What was that 4x4 the (old) Top Geaer team tried to destroy but couldn't? The one the terrorists all use to mount anti-aircraft guns on? Toyota summat?

Maybe simply the 'Toyota Pickup'.

It was a Hilux, exactly what I would recommend. :huray:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:32 pm 

I have a Kuga all wheel drive. I do not think it is an off roader though, you need a four wheel drive. The Kuga diesel auto I have is very comfortable and is giving a constant 37.5 mpg. Okay for the long journeys you do, it will probably cope well with the ice and perhaps snow with chains or winter tyres on. Not that cheap second hand but far superior to the Duster.

8k will see you get a 2014 Dacia reasonably specced and for the same money a you would get a 2012 Kuga. Get as new and as low mileage as you can.

DWD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
Get as new and as low mileage as you can.

I don't worry about the mileage on diesels (so long as they've been properly serviced).

As an example, I bought a Passat with 135k miles on it and sold it at 195k - (I only had one mechanical failure in that time, a part that cost £80) - I checked it's mot results subsequently and it was still going at 235k.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:41 pm 

Yep I put a question mark on the Kuga as its soft-roader just like the Mokka - what is a nice place to be (must be se/elite spec tho)

Saying that there always a farmer about to pull you out a ditch or snow drift

Hubnut's vid from last December, iirc he is in devils bridge area

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:28 pm 

Thanks for all the replies and input – much appreciated!

I’ve posted the same on some other forums and it is interesting to hear such varied responses there too, ranging from those who seem to recommended 4x4 Hilux’s and the like, to those who say a car with decent (and/or winter) tyres will suffice.

As with so many things in life, I find the middle ground is often the place to be. And putting all the responses together I think a 2WD Duster with suitable tyres in winter hits that spot. I also like the no thrills aspect of the Dacia. The simpler and more basic the better for me. I’d still be interested to hear any more views though...

Regarding the Duster, what would also be helpful to know is:

- Petrol vs Diesel. I’d prefer the former due to the environmental (and longevity) concerns of the latter, but I’m still open at this stage.
- mpg. I currently drive an Skoda Fabia Estate 2003, 1.2, petrol). How would a newish Duster compare?
- Are there any particular models, eras, etc to go for or avoid?

Huge thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 am 

Given the current situation and future plans I think you would be mad to buy a diesel vehicle now. It's 10p per litre more expensive for fuel and the MOT's are getting stricter all the time.