DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:28 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all

We've got 1930's house with simulated slate which has asbestos in it. Its generally fine but six slates in a row have slipped down.

Without sounding over the top, can I just slide these back and fix then in place? I've looked on the web and it sayes don't break them etc but if I damp them down first and wear a mask should I be ok?

Also the tiles have lots of growth on them, should I be ok just to jet wash them? I've had a flyer through the door about having the roof sealed in a grey sealant - would you bother?

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

Adey

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:48 pm 

To just slide them back up from on top, out of doors is no problem at all. No precautions at all should be needed. (Although gloves wouldn'd do any halm.)
Drilling, cutting or smashing them up is when the fibers tend to be released and precautions inluding wetting them down are required.
Jet washing is also OK, in so far as no worse for your roof and the tiles than on a roof made of any other material.
Many people are of the opinion that jetwashing any type of roof can cause more halm than good.
Sorry I know nothing about sealing the roof but I would not have thought it was needed unless the roof is leaking and the sealing process claims to seal leaks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:59 pm 

They would only be around 4-6% asbestos content, absolutely nothing to worry about unless you intend on smashing a load to bits on a dry day.
Re-fixing a few slipped ones will present no risk unless cutting etc.
As for sealing a roof, this can be a very very big mistake.
Builder mate of mine went to look at a simple job on a roof, thought maybe get it done in a day, the problem was evident from the outside. No, they had had the underside sprayed with that crap foam, had to tell the client that the only solution was to strip the entire slate roof.
You may be talking about some externally applied sealant? In my opinion don't bother, if the 'slate' has become porous (never heard of that) then it's time to re-slate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:06 am 

Agree with marksson sealing your roof is an absolute no-no, basically if it does'nt leak then it's fine also you have 2 options with the slipped slates
1. fix with a lead or copper strap 2. fix with a good sealant ie leadmate or a polysulphide based sealant , personally i would fix with a sealant, just push the nex or existing slates back into position and lift up and apply the sealant underneath, you will find that these are dusty underneath so i would wear a P3 mask when doing it, just to be on the safe side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

thanks very much for the info - all sounds good advice, i'll get some adhesive to repair the slates - nice one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:14 pm 

Just in case anyone else comes across this thread, adhesive, silicone etc is no good for natural slate.
The slate can de-laminate, better to use tingles, jenny twins etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 am 

marksson wrote:
if the 'slate' has become porous (never heard of that)

It happens to natural slate after 40-50+ years. Obviously most of todays roof coverings, from the older asbestos slates to the modern day fibre slates, have not been tested for that long so no one knows what will happen to them. I have come across some porous older asbestos type slates though, which must be getting on for 40+ years old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:14 pm 

I have to say, jet-washing a roof with loose slates sounds like an impending disaster!