DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:17 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Mould Removal After Leak
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:44 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello, I unfortunately discovered a leak behind the sink in one of my bathrooms the other day. The water has had time to soak the floor where it couldn't be seen and also flow to an adjacent bedroom under an interior wall. Black mould has grown on the floor of both rooms up to a couple of feet from where the leak occurred. I'm now letting the floorboards dry out and have had a go at removing the mould using bleach, vinegar and a mould remover product. However, I've managed to get rid of half of it at best so far, and the black stain seems to go beneath the surface of the wooden boards (which look to be made of chipboard, and they still seem structurally strong). Additionally, the mould in the bathroom is in difficult-to-reach places - inside a wooden enclosure for the pipes behind the sink and between the bathtub and the wall. I think removing it fully will require taking all of this apart.

I was wondering how necessary is it to remove all of the mould? Would it be sufficient to dry out the affected areas so that the mould would become inactive? We only use the bathroom in question for toileting and using the sink, so it doesn't get very humid and has never required any effort to keep mould at bay before.

Also, should I be concerned about the wall between the bathroom and bedroom? I can see signs of water ingress reaching just above the skirting board in the bedroom.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:11 pm 

Spray bleach on any inaccessible areas of mould. As for the damp the other side of the wall from the bathroom ? might just be worth keeping an eye on.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks very much. Bleach didn't seem to much affect a large chunk of the mould in my bedroom when I tried it. But it sounds like you don't think there's a need to do anything drastic?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 pm 

Pagw wrote:
Thanks very much. Bleach didn't seem to much affect a large chunk of the mould in my bedroom when I tried it. But it sounds like you don't think there's a need to do anything drastic?

Detol mould and mildew cleaner(green spray bottle) can be had in most supermarkets for about 4 quid.
Spray it on affected area and leave for an hour,repeat on badly affected areas. Great stuff. Make sure you ventilate room as it’s strong stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:50 am 
Newly registered Member

Quote:
Detol mould and mildew cleaner(green spray bottle) can be had in most supermarkets for about 4 quid.
Spray it on affected area and leave for an hour,repeat on badly affected areas. Great stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. The stuff I've found online is apparently not suitable for wood, though (I'm looking at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dettol-Anti-Bacterial-Mould-Mildew-Remover/dp/B00QIIKJJK ). Is there another product you meant, or have you used it on wood before and got good results?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 pm 
Newly registered Member

I thought I would report back on what I found to be helpful for the problem. The most helpful thing just seemed to be blowing air over the surface with a fan, which dried the wood out much more quickly - I had avoided doing that at first because a lot of web pages warn against distributing spores that way. But I got a bit fed up with trying to clean it, and had bought a HEPA vacuum cleaner to hoover up spores after the cleaning was done, so I just figured I could use that to hoover any spores distributed by the fan (I had the room's door closed). I've not noticed any ill effects from spores since (it could be a different situation for anybody who is sensitive to spores I suppose). Before that, I tried using bleach, vinegar and Polycell 3-in-1 mould killer on different patches of the wood - only the bleach seemed to have a discernible impact, lightening the colour after a few applications, although I don't know if it was really affecting the mould. I bought some trisodium phosphate too, which I saw suggested as a mould killer that could penetrate porous surfaces, but I didn't notice this making a big difference either.