Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:19 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:00 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, small conundrum. Have a garage but it has NO power supply.

Qn: What portable device can I use to enable me to keep a trickle charge going for 12v motorbike battery because it has an alarm and tracker fitted?

Would like a device that will supply power for 4-5 days before it requires recharge.

See loads of portable AC devices online e.g. Webetop Portable Power Generator Inverter 100W 42000mAh, but don't think this will give me 4-5 days charge.

Open to any solar panel suggestions.

Tks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:31 am 

Solar panel is probably your best bet. Either that or some spare batteries you can hook up. A generator is no good as it requires supervision and will be overkill anyway for the small amount of power you will actually need.

A solar panel (maybe with a buffer battery for overnight/dull days) will do the job with no supervision. They do make specific trickle charger solar panels for this purpose that already have the circuitry to control the volts/amps.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm 

In my (Limited) experience of solar panels it would be cheaper to run a mains cable than use solar.

The idea is great in principal - free electricity
But to g'tee enough electricity on a normal day would mean quite a lot of solar panels, decent solar panels are not cheap.

I would suggest take the battery home and charge it there.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:29 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
I would suggest take the battery home and charge it there.

And the alarm and tracker?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:33 pm 

...........well he wont need them as the bike wont start :lol:

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:34 pm 

On a serious note buy another battery and swap them over every X days. it may be "hassle" but at least it will work, unlike solar panels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:43 pm 

As an aside, if the garage is away from the house, having solar panels might advertise to the light fingered that there is something interesting in there.
If only the solar panels!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks all. I think the Oxford Solar Optimiser is worth a go based on reviews https://bit.ly/2HJIw6p
It would be extremely onerous in changing battery given location behind fairing notwithstanding no cover from insurers because tracker is not working should somebody choose to lift bike into a van.
Alternatively I could ride the bike more often and all year round to keep battery in good shape but my wife will probably want to see me with her lawyer! :huray:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

Link edited.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:13 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
...........well he wont need them as the bike wont start :lol:

They did not start my mates pickup when they stole it from his drive. They turned up with a recovery truck and pulled the pick up onto it.

How did my mate know this?

Well the next door neighbour that made cups of tea for the blokes stealing it told him.....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm 

DukeSingh wrote:
Thanks all. I think the Oxford Solar Optimiser is worth a go based on reviews https://bit.ly/2HJIw6p

You know what they say............you get what you pay for.
I wouldn't waste my money on that, but then its not my money.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:29 am 

I bought a small solar panel to keep caravan battery topped up, it didn't work, now I remove the battery to charge it. I did look at battery to battery chargers, it seemed cheaper to get a battery charger and an inverter so around the £40 mark for the 2 and you can also use them for other things.

The question is how much power does it use when doing nothing? Likely at least around 0.05A just to sit there doing nothing, so a 60 Ah leisure battery would last the month, any longer and the leisure battery would get sulphated, however although the good quality Sterling battery to battery charger states 2mA on stand by, most the adverts simply don't say how much they use. The ring 120W inverter states 0.2A standby current, now down to 5 days on standby, so the battery size jumps to at least 90Ah.

Now one gets to the point, would it not be cheaper to just swap the bikes battery once a week? OK you could simply link a 12 volt battery to bikes 12 volt battery without any charging, but that would mean the bike battery slowly goes flat with the second battery and both would need recharging at least once a month.

You can buy units like this Image which will generate 12 volt from as little as 2.5 volt, I would say best option visit your local hobby shop, these are used to charge things like drone batteries from a car battery.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:09 am 
Newly registered Member

okay thanks for this. Seems solar option may me a gimmick. I don't have the figures but both the alarm/tracker state "almost nothing" draw when on standby. I'm not too savvy on electrical talk but do I need an inverter? If I get a 12v 90Ah leisure battery and do a battery to battery connection with say a full recharge on leisure battery say twice a month - would this do the trick? Tks :dunno:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:13 am 

Its not your bike that concerns me (Since what ever current it requires is what ever current it requires, and that can not be changed) its the solar panel.

You can't charge a 12v battery with a 12v battery, try it and all you will end up with is two flat 12v batteries.

In plain English it would be like a tug of war between two identical cars, since they are both the same neither can win, but after a while both will be "tired"

You need a bigger / permanent supply which a tiny solar panel can not give.

An inverter changes DC current / voltage to AC current at a higher voltage. But in doing so the inverter uses power to do it, so an inverter on its own is no use, you would need big solar panels* which would make any one curios as to why they are there.

* You need big solar panels so that when its not sunny they can still produce the required power. Big solar panels are not cheap.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:10 pm 

You can charge a 12 volt battery from a 12 volt battery, there are DC to DC inverters around, however in the main they are designed to do the transfer only while a vehicle engine is running, they auto switch on at around 13.4 volt and off at 12.6 volt so only work when engine is running. They are used to charge bow thruster batteries in narrow boats, and charge batteries in caravans while towing.

There are some small ones the linked one is just 15W.

The PDF gives details it can draw up to 1.9 amp and as with so many although it seems OK what it does not state is how much power it takes with no output, so a 90 Ah battery will last 5 hours, and to take it to recharge the bike battery once a month yes it would work. However to connect it up and leave it running you have no idea if the leisure battery will reach 9.2 volts in a day, a week or a month.

So much depends on the quality of the two batteries, all batteries have some self discharge and so they will require charging even if there was no tracker built in. So I did a quick look at the price of a motor cycle battery, around £20 and a battery charger from Lidi at around £14 so simple method is simply get a second battery for the bike and swap it with each visit then put it on charge at home.