DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:41 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:23 am 

Hi,

I do our supermarket shop twice weekly; Morrison's; Aldi and Home Bargains. For many years I only ever visited Morrisons which is local to us and there was little price difference by shopping around. However a few years ago Aldi opened nearby and I found as I buy Fresh Soya I could save £6 per pack of 12ltrs buying at Aldi compared to Morrison's; I'm intolerant of dairy products so both Bron and I switched to Soya and we tend to use a lot of fresh soya. Buying one pack per week gives a yearly saving on this one product of around £300. Since then I've been buying more and more from Aldi. Home Bargains opened shortly after Aldi and I found more savings to be had there; both Aldi and Home Bargains are very near to Morrison's so it wasn't a problem in visiting both these.

This morning as usual I fuelled the car at Morrison's the nice young lady in the kiosk told me that my "points card" which I've used for many years is to be replaced by a new "Match & More" points loyalty card which would double up as a price matching card comparing with other supermarkets automatically deducting the difference in price in-store and she explained I could fill in the form she supplied with a temporary card or register online? I didn't have to register for my old card in any way which was for fuel only.

Back home I started to fill in the online details until I found I needed to add personal details like date of birth; telephone numbers; email address and gender at which point I simply logged off. Aldi and Home Bargains already have the lower prices without all this hassle so why should I give Morrison's my personal details?

http://www.morrisons.com/matchandmore/more-info.html

Rather than entice me back to Morison's this new card is driving me away; on top of this as I will no longer be able to use my original card at the pumps I might as well buy fuel elsewhere?

It must be costing Morrison's a great deal of money implementing and using these new "Match & More" cards and for what? I won't give my personal details to any supermarket; perhaps I'm being very over sensitive but can't help feeling Morrison's are treating me like an idiot? Why can't Morrison's simply bring their prices into line with the others then there would be no need to shop around but then I'm such a simple soul.

Any suggestions or ideas

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:11 pm 

My advice would be....

Don't buy petrol/diesel from a supermarket.. It may be cheaper than shell but could cost you in the long run..

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... ten_weeks/

As for the new Morrisons scheme I believe it will only price match against the likes of Aldi on a like for like basis..as Aldi don't stock brands as such then then only Morrisons own brand goods will be compared to Aldi.

As you are well aware, it pays to shop around.. :thumbleft:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:26 pm 

Hi,

Thanks wine~o. The Tesco link you added is very interesting and reminds me that years ago Mick a local driving instructor used to buy petrol from Morrison's until his car broke down with a ruined engine and it was found to be the fuel at fault so ever since he has been buying petrol from a local garage nearby. I think I'll try this garage out for petrol for our Fabia Monte Carlo; I've been buying fuel from Morrisons for years but this morning I actually checked the Monte's fuel consumption to find it was 42mpg. I'm not complaining about this because Bron and I love the Monte but Morrison's has now prodded me into trying another brand of petrol and I'll be interested to see if it makes any difference?

I fully agree with what you say about the price check being on supermarket own brands and I've no intention of giving up shopping around for best deals. I've been caught out a number of times with Morrison's "special deals" one was Terry's All Gold chocolates which looked like a genuine bargain being marked up at haf price so I bought two boxes thinking they would make nice gifts only to find at home I had been charged full price; it cost fuel but I returned them to get a refund; sure enough the shelf label clearly stated half price but was immediately removed; I've also been caught out with packets of ginger biscuits where these too were half price; four packets of biscuits at home all full price so these were returned. Four pack tins of baked beans on "Special offer" these were very special indeed because next to them four single tins of the same beans were cheaper. Kitchen washing up sponges at 19p for a pack of five was very fair indeed then these have been replaced by packs of 10 at 50p; Morrison's are making a lot of noise about cutting their prices when in fact the sponges have gone up in price; not by much but the principle is there.

I'm not trying to single Morrison's out by attacking them because I've shopped at our local morrison's for the last twenty years and am familiar with many staff members but why do supermarkets resort to such tactics whilst conning customers to shop with them?

This morning as I went through Morrison's checkout the assistant asked if Bron and I get into town (Huddersfield) I replied that we wouldn't go into town centre at gunpoint because we travel by car and the local council dislike car drivers; she replied why don't you make use of your free bus pass? Neither Bron or I have a bus pass; we have a brand new car so why can't we use it? The simple answer is that our local council employs an army of traffic wardens on speed rather than sort out decent parking attracting car drivers into town; I wonder why so many town centre stores are closed?

I hope this isn't coming over as a huge moan because its not meant to be it's just my take on what is happening locally and how it affects us. Sometimes it pays to get out of the rut and have a good look at what is happening rather than doing the same routine year in year out because its convenient?

I do the supermarket shopping because I can visit three stores and fill up with fuel and be back home in less than an hour; I don't impulse buy simply taking along a list in each store order. I'm happy to take Bron for some quality retail therapy to out of town places like The Owlcotes Centre in Pudsey; Meadowhall in Sheffield and Boundary Mills in Colne where parking is very near the stores and free without traffic warden hassle; close all the town centres; it won't bother us; I also browse the net for items which I can order in peace and have delivered to the door; this avoids many red traffic lights and all the speed cameras and road humps.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:37 pm 

Col, I do the cooking in our household and therefore the shopping list is in my head, we use Morrisons (1/4 mile away) Waitrose 6 ish miles away(Now there's posh) Sainsburys and we also have a home bargains at Christchurch..I have bought various bits and pieces from them, including 24 chip smd downlight bulbs @ £2.99..

I try to grow as much veg as possible...

And now can't remember the point of my reply.. :? :? :?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:02 pm 

Hi,

Nice one wine~o; too much wine? :dunno:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Nice one wine~o; too much wine? :dunno:

Kind regards, Col.

Naaaaah...too little.. :wink:

Verwood Handyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:40 pm 

Changing garages won't make the slightest bit of difference to your car or your fuel economy - the fuel ALL comes from the same refineries and is transported in the same trucks. You'll often see supermarket petrol stations taking deliveries from Shell, Texaco, Esso and BP tankers. Apart from a few additives in the premium stuff, fuel is identical everywhere.

The Tesco garage in the link obviously had a problem with its underground tanks which caused contamination of the fuel - that could just as easily have happened (and has) to a Shell/Esso/Texaco/BP or one of the few remaining independents.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:00 pm 

Apart from a few additives in the premium stuff...

Persactly..

The fuel at Morrisons/Tesco at al is not the same as at the likes of Shell, they might be delivered by the same tankers...but the octane rating isn't the same, the additives are not the same....etcetera etcetera...

Verwood Handyman

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:05 pm 

The standard fuel, Unleaded or Diesel, is identical.

The different additives only go in the likes of Shell's Premium Unleaded and Vpower Diesel - which you'll pay more for.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:08 pm 

They are guilty of using tricks to sell stuff that's how they work these days. They will artificially I inflate a price for a month then back to the old price and they tell you they're reduced for an amazing bargain.

I'm not convinced by the 'all comes from the same place" argument Inky Pete, there's an Arla dairy down the road and they do skimmed, full fat etc and that all comes out on the same wagons. Are you sure you're not topping up with semi- skimmed, so to speak?

As per wine-o's post..

The Barman says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve time travellers". This time traveller walks into a bar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:22 pm 

Well, the refineries all do diesel, unleaded, avgas, LPG, etc. and each has to conform to a British Standard octane rating (cetane, in the case of diesel).

They definitely DON'T do different "flavours" of each. And as I've said, a tanker that fills up at the refinery will spend its day delivering to forecourts belonging to any number of different brands - all from the same load. The tanker itself is divided into just 3 tanks - unleaded, premiuim unleaded, and diesel. To carry different fuels for each customer it would need to be divided into many more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:46 pm 

I'm getting more frustrated with our Tesco every day. They are now 'refurbishing' the store to give us a 'better shopping experience' FFS ::b

If people wanted a shopping 'experience' why would they go to Aldi/Lidl? I'd rather the £100,000's they're spending on reducing their damned prices..... on a product-for-product basis (not identical types as you well know) our Aldi shopping is around £65 compared to £110 at Tesco :?

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:24 am 

Hi,

It's interesting to read the replies about fuel suppliers. Years ago I despatched a load of explosion proof motors to a refinery which was going to close for a very brief window in order for the engineers to change all the motors. I worked link shift and was promised these motors in plenty of time for despatch and I had the special transport arranged. After the day shift had gone home the motors started to come through but on final inspection Ian the inspector found the cable gland openings to be the wrong size; a couple of urgent phone calls had the general manager and department manager back on site; labour was moved around to sort this major problem out; the motors were delivered just on time and the refinery was never aware of the previous mad panic. If ever I got another job in a big company I would never work in Despatch; goods inward was the place to be for less stress?

http://www.ukpia.com/industry_information/refining-and-uk-refineries/refineries.aspx

Regarding supermarket fuel being supplied by a single refinery this is unclear but please see the link above because there are a number of oil refineries around the UK; it's possible the nearest local refinery is chosen but each refinery is independant and there is bound to be slight differences in the product which could have a bigger impact on engine performance? I'll try the petrol station near Morrison's and see if I notice any difference in our Monte's performance or MPG?

Well said kellys_eye; yes posh stores equal posh prices. Years ago Bron and I used to visit the old Boundary Mills store in Colne and it was indeed an old mill complex looking rather run down. On one occasion Bron had selected a nice coat and was examining it when a store assistant came up to us and asked if she could please have a look at the coat; we were amazed as another £20 was taken from the already low price and Bron bought the coat. I wanted a leather bodywarmer and again at the old Boundary was looking at the few on display when the assistant asked if she could help; I explained what I was looking for and the assistant looked me up and down saying the body warmers in stock would be too short for my height but if we could return in a week she would have a better selection on hold for us to inspect. A week later we went back and waited until the assistant went into the warehouse returning with a lovely selection of longer body warmers. I chose one and it was brand new direct from the factory which should have cost £160 and I bought it for £120. The reason for this rambling story is that a few years ago the old Boundary Mill store closed to be replaced by a brand new huge store again in Colne but right at the very end of the M65.

This new store is wonderful; purpose built; top class facilities; excellent lighting; warm and spotlessly clean; the downside is that now their bragging of up to 75% off retail prices is in general a downright lie; it's just as cheap now to buy from M&S; the prices in the new Boundary Stores have rocketed; Bron buys lots of card making materials and we can buy these at the same price in our local stores. I bought a very nice Parka costing £72 marked down from £100 and was delighted with it until I checked online at the company website who made the Parka to see it was readily available for £78 so I did make a saving of £6 but not a saving of £28. Stores are all conning us. Good on Lidl and Aldi to bring a bit of common sense into buying. I don't shop at Lidl because our nearest is too near Huddersfield and a simple slip getting there could result in a speeding fine due to all the cameras en-route. Aldi are not cheapest on everything but with care big savings can be made shopping there. Aldi sell lots of decent tools at very cheap prices; ideal for the home workshop and all come with a good guarantee. I buy Aldi Cargo work trousers and these are the best and most comfortable trousers I've ever owned in fact I've now got five pair and wear them every day.

Out of interest we suffered our first power cut of the season at 8:55 pm last night lasting 25 minutes; a forerunner of things to come?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:26 am 
diesel demon

Inky Pete wrote:
Well, the refineries all do diesel, unleaded, avgas, LPG, etc. and each has to conform to a British Standard octane rating (cetane, in the case of diesel).

They definitely DON'T do different "flavours" of each. And as I've said, a tanker that fills up at the refinery will spend its day delivering to forecourts belonging to any number of different brands - all from the same load. The tanker itself is divided into just 3 tanks - unleaded, premiuim unleaded, and diesel. To carry different fuels for each customer it would need to be divided into many more.

Having worked on filling stations & road tankers for many years (I don't think things have changed too much in the last 7 years since I changed career path) I will throw my tuppence in the pot
road tankers usually have 6 compartments of around 4-5000 litres, sometimes 7 even the 6 wheel rigids have 4 compartments.
as has already been mentioned, many oil companies share the bulk storage facilities at the depot but add their own additives to the basic mix.
Sainsburys had a deal with BP at one time where it was BP fuel sold under the Sainsburys banner, even the tanker drivers were not allowed to turn up on site with any BP livery.
I also had to deal with diesel bug on many sites "polishing" the fuel, treating the fuel to kill off the bug & filtering & recirculating the fuel to remove it, trouble is the only way to get rid is to remove the tank lid & thoroughly clean the inside. I went to some Asda & Somerfield sites in the same area because they were supplied by the same depot & it was the depot that was contaminated
the diesel bug grows in the layer between the fuel & water getting it's hydrocarbons from the fuel & oxygen from the water & like anything that eats it excretes & this eats into the steel of the tank. many tanks have had to be grp relined due to corrosion

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:09 pm 

Hi,

Thanks vi for the information; bugs in diesel; something I would never have even thought about. Are standard underground tanks mild steel; I thought high grade stainless would be used?

A small mini market with petrol station opened a few months ago up the local village which I've not yet visited but a quick check reveals this to be a BP station so I think I'll try this out.

Kind regards, Col.

Time zone: Europe/London