DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:17 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:27 pm 
diesel demon

6mm mild steel, newer tanks have a second skin of 4mm with the interstitial space filled with a glycol mix, the level of this mix is monitored & if the level drops will sound an alarm. There was a spell of grp tanks but these would fail by ripping as opposed to corrosion creating a slowly enlarging hole. another problem occurs when the installer leaves the dipstick in the offset fill pipe, as the tank is filled the dipstick spins slowly but surely drilling a hole in the bottom of the tank, also stopping the overfill prevention device from working ::b

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author village idiot has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:16 pm 

Hi,

Thanks again vi. Double skinned tanks sounds like a good idea. Is it possible for a tanker driver to cross fill a tank with the wrong product or are the hose couplings different for say petrol and diesel? We had a loan car it being a Skoda Roomster whilst awaiting for the Monte to arrive and I had to be very careful not to fill the Roomster with petrol because it was a diesel model then when the petrol Monte arrived I had to revert back to petrol; sounds simple enough but so easy to slip up.

Kind regards; Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:38 pm 
diesel demon

modern filling stations use 4" camlock couplings on the fill pipes though Tesco used to reduce the diesel ones to 3" the diesels also vent to atmosphere while the petrols are all vent manifolded to allow for vapour recovery.
at the nozzle end the spout sizes differ between petrol & diesel, diesel being the same size as the old 4* spout but with the introduction of catalytic converters the spout size on unleaded nozzles were reduced & had to push open a flap, 4* nozzles would not fit
I was under the impression that all modern petrol cars still had this flap but the Citroen C1 I have the use of doesn't :scratch:

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

For this message the author village idiot has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:46 am 

Hi,

Thanks vi. It's amazing the information which surfaces once a thread is started.

I've now had time to think a bit more about Morrison's new store card. What's in it for Morrisons; well if I was silly enough Morrison's would gather lots of personal information about me; date of birth; gender; full postal address and email together with phone number/s. Using the card would give Morrison's details of my shopping habits; what type of fuel I buy for our car and when I buy it; instore they would know exactly what I had purchased and at what time I purchased it? All excellent for Morrison's collecting all this data?

What's in it for me? I divulge my personal details to obtain a plastic card which I can be identified to whenever I use the card. As to price checking and refunding at the checkout any price difference between Morrison's and other supermarkets (on own brands?) I need to present the card in order to obtain this slowing my shopping down and needing me to have a card on my person which I do not want. There would be zero saving for me because I've been enjoying the lower prices for a number of years by visiting Aldi and Home Bargains very near Morrison's but now I'm expected by Morrison's to carry a card so that I can obtain these lower prices in Morrisons stores? On top of this if I do not divulge my personal details my old petrol points card is rendered invalid even though there is outstanding points on this card and I cannot then gain the points I've been gaining anonymously for many years whilst purchasing my petrol?

Fortunately for Morrison's people tend to follow each other like sheep so if one signs up for the new card others will automatically follow without giving it the slightest thought? I'm an individual quite capable of making up my own mind and in the case of this new Morrison's card NO THANK YOU.

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : village idiot
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:50 am 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

I've now had time to think a bit more about Morrison's new store card. What's in it for Morrisons; well if I was silly enough Morrison's would gather lots of personal information about me; date of birth; gender; full postal address and email together with phone number/s. Using the card would give Morrison's details of my shopping habits; what type of fuel I buy for our car and when I buy it; instore they would know exactly what I had purchased and at what time I purchased it? All excellent for Morrison's collecting all this data?

Kind regards, Col.

This all sounds very similar to the Tesco Clubcard scheme: they do indeed store details of what you buy, and periodically you will receive (on Tesco's system anyway) coupons for further savings on some of those products. So, it could be beneficial to you.

Presenting a card takes only seconds, and if you pay by debit/credit card you'll probably have it with you anyway.

I only know all this because the wife told me. :mrgreen:

I would prefer it every shop just priced things as cheaply as they could all the time, no cards, no offers, no gimmicks, no bogoffs, just honest prices.

I never give my home phone number when asked on websites - I usually just put 01234567890 - so long as the correct number of digits are there the computer is happy.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:01 pm 

Similarly when they ask for my email address I use noone@home.co.uk.......

Since we're very limited in supermarket choice here in Oban we've used Tesco more than anyone else up to now but the points sytem has enabled us to purchase both a Hudl and a Kindle both free of charge.

Mind you, given the expensive prices Tesco make us pay I'm quite sure we paid for these 'freebies' in full one way or another.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:56 pm 

ayjay wrote:
I never give my home phone number when asked on websites - I usually just put 01234567890 - so long as the correct number of digits are there the computer is happy.

Hey, we have the same phone number! lol

Don't shop at Morrisons but do use tesco and have a clubcard. We shop there anyway and get their petrol as it's cheapest locally. Having the card is no hassle and we have benefited from the vouchers, cheap travel, cheap/free meals, saving on electricals etc. Sure we pay for it in the long run with our shopping but I would be doing that shopping anyway and I don't buy anything extra, just the usual stuff so anything we get back is a bonus.

As to tracking what I buy, well they could do that using my credit/debit card, so not much difference.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:24 pm 

Hi,

Very interesting replies; thank you.

I'm very much a dinosaur and happy in my own little world. Bron and I don't have credit cards and I only pay cash at supermarkets so tracking cannot be done this way for me; if we collected all the points cards from each store we would need a bag just to carry them around in. We've not had an holiday away from home for the last 37 years and don't miss such holidays because we are happy in our home and can go out for days whenever we please both being retired. We've never been on a plane and between us have one £5 mobile phone which I use once a month to let Bron know I'm on my way home from Rufforth Auto Jumble. School vouchers we never collect. Savings stamps we never collect. Morrison's keep giving me a voucher for if I spend over £40 in store I get a discount of some kind? I now spend less than £20 each time I visit Morrison's because I buy more and more of our weekly shop where its cheaper so get direct savings.

Buying online is usually through PayPal so that our information is in one place and it's as secure as it can be these days.

I understand loyalty cards from stores and obviously this is the store enticing customers back. I can even see what Morrison's are trying to do with their new card but for me it completely misses its intention. I already get best prices by shopping around and if Morrison's brought their prices down to something near the other stores I visit I would most likely remain with Morrison's because it is a bit more convenient. I've not fallen out in any way with Morrison's because for me life will go on as before apart from now I won't be tied in to Morrison's petrol station any longer.

Not using a credit/debit card for shopping I hadn't even considered how stores can track through such cards so an excellent point Rorschach and of course you are correct but as I only ever pay by cash I don't leave a trail of personal information. Also excellent ideas regarding email addresses and phone numbers; I've tried using fictitious details ages ago but these were then rejected but I'll try once again next time I think I'm being snooped on. I'm very keen when it comes to handing out personal details of any kind and I do not trust supermarkets at all.

Stores could save a fortune in supplying all these individual cards simply by bringing their prices to a similar level like they did in the good old days when everyone was skint? All I want to do is to visit any store and buy the goods I went for without becoming part of the store family; if the price is too high I don't go back.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:22 am 

Hi,

I've just done the usual supermarket shopping visiting three supermarkets finishing at Morrison's. It's becoming a real pain getting through Morrison's checkouts because I don't have and don't want a Morrison's loyalty card. NO THANK YOU at least five times just to pay for my shopping. I can do without all this hassle which I never endure at Aldi or Home Bargains. For the last 20 years I've been filling the car with fuel at Morrison's but this morning I filled at the new mini store/petrol station up the village and was surprised to find they sell high octane petrol so I thought I'll give it a try; our Fabia Monte Carlo is petrol but with a turbo fitted; it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference? ::b

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:18 pm 

I get better MPG from Esso to be honest, I tracked it and it genuinely gives me more miles per tank.

I reckon the quality varies even if it comes from the same place, like the supermarket fuel is the crap from the bottom of the barrel no one else wants or something.

I'd not bother with the card nonsense, they want to send you a load of advertising crap and track your spending habits. I don't shop at supermarkets very often mind, only when there is a good deal on booze or something like that

Except Waitrose I have a card because it gets me a free coffee and newspaper on a Sunday if I pop in for a few bits.

Prefer to do all the independent stores, and Lidl is the port of call for bits and pieces. Suprisingly good quality in Lidl, better fruit and veg than the big supermarkets AND cheaper. The tomatoes actually smell and taste like tomatoes.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:06 pm 

Hi,

Thanks Megaross; our local petrol is Morrison's; Texaco or BP; I think the nearest Shell station is the other side of town so for me its now either Texaco or BP and for convenience I'm using BP high octane.

The new loyalty card being issued by Morrison's is an insult to our intelligence. This morning for the first time in twenty years I've avoided shopping at Morrison's. I visited Aldi; Home Bargains and M&S all in the same retail park within easy walking distance of Morrison's. What a laugh at the checkout in Aldi as we discussed Morrison's latest gimmick; it reminds me of the old Cadbury's Smash advert; seen here?

I feel sorry for the Morrisons employees after all it's their jobs at risk if anything untoward happens unlike the top end who usually get handsomely rewarded for failure with a huge golden handshake? I'm not out to make trouble either for Morrison's because up to this silly loyalty card being introduced I've been happy to shop at Morrison's but now their loyalty card has made me see where my loyalties really do belong; these being Aldi and Home Bargains who over the last few years have been affording me lower prices on many goods and they don't even know my name; now Morrison's are realizing shoppers are deserting them Morrison's want to be my pal wanting to know my email address; home address; gender; name; phone numbers etc for which I get rewarded with nothing in fact I've now lost out because I'm no longer able to use my anonymous petrol points card? On top of this for the new card to be effective I've got to spend a minimum £15 in store at each visit. Morrison's aren't bringing prices down because their washing up sponges used to cost 19p per pack of five now they cost 50p per pack of ten?

Both Aldi and Home Bargains sell goods which are more expensive than Morrison's but shoppers simply find out where the bargains are; I certainly do. I buy boxes of Go Cat biscuits and at Morrison's these per box are something like £2.28 but at Home bargains exactly the same cost £1.49 and lo and behold even if I was silly enough to want a Morrison's loyalty card the biscuits would still cost £2.28 to me at Morrison's because their card doesn't price check against Home Bargains?

I find it hard to believe the CEO of Morrison's could let Morrison's go ahead with this loyalty card in its present form; my old Morrison's petrol points card was given to me not needing any personal details and I've happily used it over the years; I've got outstanding points on my old card; I wonder if I can trade it in or will I need to do a minimum spend in-store first? It was sad to laugh so much about Morrison's new loyalty card this morning whilst at the Aldi checkout but under the circumstances I reckon Morrison's deserve it after all they have been ripping me off with their high prices for years; I'll now visit Morrison's just to buy a few items I'm unable to buy at the other stores like Surecare washing powder which is expensive at £2.60 per small box. This morning I bought a 3kg box of non biological powder at Aldi for Bron to try out and it was considerably cheaper.

Good point Megaross regarding Waitrose and the free paper and coffee; we don't have a Waitrose but my chum David told me ages ago of this perk and I believe David takes along his laptop because Waitrose supply free wi-fi connection if my memory is correct?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 pm 

Hi,

Just a quickie. I was in Morrisons again this morning and below is a picture of their latest gimmick which doesn't apply to me; I got our shopping bill at Morrisons down to £12.38. I almost wet myself as I dashed to sign up for a Match & More loyalty card (NOT). I had already done most of my shopping round at Aldi and Home Bargains.

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
Morrisons latest.jpg
Morrisons latest.jpg [ 769.01 KiB | Viewed 363 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:51 am 

Well, I've signed up as Morrisons are the only supermarket in town..

There is a tick-box to say you don't want any marketing info from them.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:52 pm 

Hi,

Thanks wine~o. Bron and I are spoilt for choice when it comes to supermarkets and mini markets. Morrisons; Aldi; Asda; Tesco; Sainsburys' Lidl and a number of mini markets such as the expensive M&S and a new Spar with petrol pumps up the village all fighting for customers.

Thanks also for pointing out there is a tick box to decline marketing information from Morrison's; I didn't get that far because I won't give Morrison's any personal details just to obtain one of their new loyalty (?) cards.

When our local Aldi opened 2 or 3 years ago Bron and I popped in but were unimpressed so continued shopping at Morrison's however once the initial panic was over at Aldi and the tyre kickers like us had departed we decided to pop in again and we were amazed to find fresh Soya on sale at 59p per litre; we were paying £1.09 at Morrisons for the same product with just a different supermarket name on it?

I do our supermarket shopping because I can fly around the store just as it opens at 8am. I used to visit Morrison's for the bulk of our shopping twice weekly on Monday and Friday with a petrol fill up on Friday's; then I would pop round to close by Aldi and into Home Bargains for odds and ends which I knew were much cheaper than Morrison's. Now I visit Aldi first then Home Bargains finishing off at Morrisons; this morning I spent around £11 in Morrisons and I no longer buy petrol there because of this new Morrison's loyalty card.

As we filled the car with petrol this afternoon at the new Spar mini market I was paying for the petrol and noticed this store sells Thornton's boxes of chocolates at half price so perhaps I need to have a better look around?

All the stores Morrisons; Aldi; Home Bargains and M&S are quite near each other apart from the Spar store which is up the village so it costs very little in fuel to visit them in fact they are within easy walking distance of each other; we don't even go out of our way to visit the Spar for petrol because we pass the store many times.

This morning at Morrison's checkout I stood and waited whilst an elderly couple were handing in lots of money saving coupons which of course they are entitled to do but at Aldi and Home Bargains there was no such hold up.

I've not fallen out with Morrison's but I shop there a great deal less these days; I simply do not trust them with their silly gimmicks.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:21 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Well, I've signed up as Morrisons are the only supermarket in town..

There is a tick-box to say you don't want any marketing info from them.

Right so I posted that on October the 30th...(the date I signed up) and as of today 25/11 I've got my first £5 voucher..
Now there were introductory bonuses in terms of points, but I was shopping in exactly the same way..

So if I can get an extra £5 off my shopping say every 6 weeks or so then that is a bonus...

Let's say £40 a year, which I wasn't getting before and some of their produce is noticeably cheaper (Red and green peppers as one example) as they complete with Aldi/Lidl...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]