DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:34 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Mixing oils?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 pm 

My car uses 5W30 A1 (or A5 since A1 has been stopped)

I have a small bottle of 5W30 C3 I was thinking to put in the boot for emergency top-up if I developed a small leak while away, just something to stick in to get me home or to a garage safely. Will mixing the A1/5 with the C3 cause any troubles? Like I say the hope is that I never have to actually use it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Mixing oils?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:57 pm 

I would say any oil is better than none! If it is just for a get you home fix it's better than a seized engine, assuming you have to get the leak fixed you will have the oil changed afterwards anyway.
It used to be so simple you bought Castrol or Duckhams based on who had the best advert or some other random thing (I liked Duckhams 'cos it was a pretty colour when you poured it in just looked like it must be doing good!). Now there are endless special oils for each type of car, won't be long before they bring out oils for cars with metallic paint or solid colours and the gender of the driver (there seems to be a lot more choice there now too) I once read that in an emergency stuck miles from civilization you could top up with water, not sure the warranty would be worth much though! ::b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:04 pm 

I haven't got a clue, but I probably wouldn't risk it after the dire warnings of using the wrong type of oil in modern engines.
The guy at the local Peugeot dealer (I know they're a main dealer, but I do trust this one) told me it was a bad idea using the wrong oil, even to top up. Admittedly mine is the infamous 1.6 HDI engine.
Buy some "right" oil for top ups, and use the other oil in the oil can?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:01 pm 

My thought was that in an emergency, any oil is better than no oil and while It may not meet Ford specs, it will probably be just fine. Maybe I'll just use it up on the lathe and then keep the bottle and top it up with the correct oil later on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 pm 

I've also read that unless you have an exotic engine (on-the-edge performance type) then providing you have the right temperature range oil you can use 'anything'. I suspect, and have no reason to doubt, that the manufacturers are colluding to ensure higher prices for what is (was) ordinary oil, making you pay through the nose for something that could only be detected to be 'different' by clever technological testing.

Certainly for an emergency situation I'd chuck in 'anything' (I once filled the differential on my Jeep with 10W40 after a leak left it empty and it got me 300 miles home.... should have been 75W140 but... meh...)

There are loads of youtube videos extolling the virtues of the different kinds of oils but I've never, ever, heard of any issues caused by not using the 'exact' recommended type.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:28 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
I've also read that unless you have an exotic engine (on-the-edge performance type) then providing you have the right temperature range oil you can use 'anything'. I suspect, and have no reason to doubt, that the manufacturers are colluding to ensure higher prices for what is (was) ordinary oil, making you pay through the nose for something that could only be detected to be 'different' by clever technological testing.

Certainly for an emergency situation I'd chuck in 'anything' (I once filled the differential on my Jeep with 10W40 after a leak left it empty and it got me 300 miles home.... should have been 75W140 but... meh...)

There are loads of youtube videos extolling the virtues of the different kinds of oils but I've never, ever, heard of any issues caused by not using the 'exact' recommended type.

I suspect you are right. It doesn't bother me a great deal since there is very little price difference between most of them and if you shop around rather than just going straight to a rip off place like halfords you can get a good deal. I just changed the oil in the car, I was able to buy the Ford recommended oil for just a few £'s more than a generic cheap oil but doing a bit of online searching and being prepared to wait a bit for it to arrive. Had I bought from a high street shop it would have cost me almost twice the price for the same oil and still cost more than I paid to buy their generic oil.