DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:18 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Mirka ceros sander
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 am 

After reading a few of the posts in the decorator forum i looked into what this tool is about.I searched online for reviews ands couldnt find any bad ones so i got interested.

Basically this a dual action sander with built in dust extraction and seperate power box.the seperate power box means the unit is on par with an airtool equivelent in terms of weight.This is what appealled to me as im doing a lot of new ceilings in my house refurb.Secondly it uses mesh sanding disks which in turn means no clogging, another massive plus with dry lining.
Thirdly the mesh allows the dust to be sucked away through it meaning a massive reduction in dust when sanding when its hooked up to a hoover/extracter.

Ok lets get the price out of the way, its not a cheap sander at just under £300 for a sander with extracter hose and several boxes of sanding disks or £600-700 with the dedicated extractor available.

Is it worth the money, well if time is money then yes yes yes,this thing makes short work of anything you want to sand.Im plastering and refurbing my whole house,im not a decorator or plasterer just a compentent diyer in these areas.Before a drylined a ceiling and it took me a couple of days to sand it all up to a nice smooth finish and the dust created was ridiculous.
With the mirka i sanded up a whole ROOM i had plastered in a day !! a bit of easi fill and another sand up and it was ready to paint,i was totally gobsmacked at the result if im honest.I sanded my amatuer plastering efforts up to standard family members who visited thought was a standard of plastering they would pay for ! I had to confess im not that good and i had sanded it smooth and out came the mirka for all to see.Considering how much i have to do in the house and i reckon its paid for itself in 3 rooms on the plastering stuff alone.

Ive since used it on wood and its just as effective,the power is just brilliant.I had to rehang a sliding door to hinges after moving the light switch to another wall.As new doors are getting fitted later on i just needed it on hinges soon as.After hanging it stuck a bit and needed a bit planing off.This isnt a hard job i know but as m power plane was in the outbuilding and them irka was near by i tohught what the heck lets see what it can do,its only an old door anyway.On goes an 80 grit disk and away i go.It took about 4-5 mm of the sticking part of the door in no time,certainly far quicker than going to fetch the plane and whipping the door off ( admittedly the mrika does take a little settingup but i had it already set up ready to go).

I use my trusty old dewalt portable hoover, its not the most powerful thing but sucks up dust no problem and works well enough with the mirka.It needs emptying and the filter giving a good clean regularly but it only takes a few minutes to do and is no big deal with the cost saving over the dedicated unit.If you tilt the sander in use it will kick out dust,it isnt entirely dust free but you soon know it if the hoover hose becomes detatched and realise how effective it is as the room fills with dust with no extraction :-) .

I found turning the power down a little helped my hoover work more effectively and the sanding power was still there even not on full power.The power is controlled on the sander itself by pushing the + or - buttons,simples.

It took a lot of ummming and arrrhing before i took the plunge on spending this amount of money on a sander as i have several already but with hardly any ever coming up for sale second hand i figured resale values must be high.The intial intention was to do the house up then sell it on but i can see why none come up for sale 2nd hand as now im thinking of keeping it as i love it so much.

I brought mine from restexpress.co.uk and it came very quickly.

If you need to do a lot of sanding then this is THE tool for it,its worth the outlay.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author lockie has received thanks - 3: amarg, Job and Knock, ultimatehandyman
 Post subject: Re: Mirka ceros sander
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:15 am 

Thank you for such an in depth review. The Ceros is on my "one day it'd be nice" list at the moment - still got to kill a Metabo before I can have one!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:26 am 

Buy one....ASAP....I bought a package , cost me 400 quid, bought a cheap extractor for about 75 quid....doing the job great.....best investment and time saving. I used rest express.co.uk....package number 3 give them a call, talk through with them as you need other bits too..buy the tool box, strong and professional looking...will keep stuff safe.......e-mail me if you want more help....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

If you can't afford a proper dust extraction unit to ceros, you can link up with a Henry hoover as well.. just be careful, sometimes it's too powerful, and doesn't really meet with the new LEV regulations, but 'll work while you can get a proper one.

*Removed* we have warned you politely about the conduct expected on this forum. it is a 100% advise forum and nothing more. we do not allow posters to advertise themselves or try to sell anything even if they type "not for self advertising". we welcome you offering advise to those in need but this is the last time we will remove unwanted wordings in your posts. - Rich-Ando

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:51 pm 

My extractor was from Lidl, it's an auto start and was 45 quid.....does the job well.....look on machine mart, they have some good ones at a reasonable price......