DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:39 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm 

I need a memory stick to record programmes from my TV. I do have one but it is only 4GB and doesn't hold much. Can anyone suggest one that is fairly cheap but would do the job. I am a bit confused by the descriptions on the ones I have seen for sale. Would any of them record from TV or is it a special sort? As you have probably realised, my technical knowledge is very limited!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 pm 

Any memory stick should do the job, and this place is as good as any -

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/

As a starting point this is a good product -

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Dr ... s-Software

Memory prices are so much lower than they used to be, so it depends on your budget, but 64 or 128 gb hold a lot of stuff..!

but if you want bigger then go for it..

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Dr ... lash-Drive

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:32 pm 

:director:
I had a lot of problems with several "SanDisk" memory sticks. As far as I can figure its to do with the fact they have "in built encryption" seems not all devices can understand it and so will not read what is on the stick. I ended up using non branded memory sticks.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:49 pm 

Thanks for your replies ,I did borrow one off my daughter which is not being recognised, hence my confusion! The 4gb one I have I have had for years and can't remember what make it is.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:09 pm 

That really does make me feel better. When I had the problem I really was thinking it was just me. Was it a SanDisk one that your borrowed?

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 pm 

As I said, any memory stick should be fine - if you have a problem with it then it is likely to be your computer that needs setting up to be able to read or use any form of memory stick.
Sandisk are one of the big and reliable makes, so it could be that you bought a fake..
I am now slightly out of my depth, but it could also be that you need to format a stick before it is readable,, just like when fitting a new hard drive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:55 pm 

stevewestern wrote:
As I said, any memory stick should be fine - if you have a problem with it then it is likely to be your computer that needs setting up to be able to read or use any form of memory stick.
Sandisk are one of the big and reliable makes, so it could be that you bought a fake..
I am now slightly out of my depth, but it could also be that you need to format a stick before it is readable,, just like when fitting a new hard drive.

Sorry, not wishing to be argumentative, but I do not agree with all that you have said.

I agree that SanDisk are one of, if not the biggest memory stick makers out there, that is why I brought one in the first place, but sheilamary3 wants to use it on her TV (she can since the smaller memory stick does work, but has not enough capacity)
I doubt she has a fake memory stick (yes they do exist) but I would suggest that the "problem" is as I suggested earlier built in encryption on the memory stick.

SanDisk memory sticks have an option for you to be able to "lock" the memory stick. i.e need a password to be able to use the memory stick. Although this is just an option, its software on the stick that stops some devices from being able to use the memory stick. I even formatted one, computer could see it, nothing else could. I ended up using memory sticks from maplin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:26 pm 

The one I borrowed from my daughter is a Verbatim stick 32 GB. She told me to delete the stuff on it so that I could use it but my lap top isn't recognising it either. I just need to buy one a bit bigger than my old one with a readable format.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:45 am 

someone-else wrote:
stevewestern wrote:

Sorry, not wishing to be argumentative, but I do not agree with all that you have said.

I agree that SanDisk are one of, if not the biggest memory stick makers out there, that is why I brought one in the first place, but sheilamary3 wants to use it on her TV (she can since the smaller memory stick does work, but has not enough capacity)
I doubt she has a fake memory stick (yes they do exist) but I would suggest that the "problem" is as I suggested earlier built in encryption on the memory stick.

SanDisk memory sticks have an option for you to be able to "lock" the memory stick. i.e need a password to be able to use the memory stick. Although this is just an option, its software on the stick that stops some devices from being able to use the memory stick. I even formatted one, computer could see it, nothing else could. I ended up using memory sticks from maplin.

OK, then I apologise if I am wrong.
I am certainly no expert, and have never had or heard of problems like that, but as I too am about to buy a few sticks will steer clear of SanDisk.
Thanks for the advice !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:27 am 

stevewestern wrote:
OK, then I apologise if I am wrong.
I am certainly no expert, and have never had or heard of problems like that, but as I too am about to buy a few sticks will steer clear of SanDisk.
Thanks for the advice !

You mis-understand. I am not saying don't use SanDisk memory sticks for your computer, I am saying "They may not work on some devices"
They work for you, most of the time for me, and never for my "guinea pigs" so if they work you, no reason not to buy them. sheilamary3 has problems with Verbatim memory sticks, but they work fine for me. :scratch: (Just checked, I have 3 of those)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:19 pm 

I phoned a couple of teccy shops near me and was told that some TVs do not support all formats and to look in my manual to see what it suggested.Couldn't find the manual( TV 5 years old! ) Went shopping and managed to find an Integral stick in a bigger size. It works fine and was only £5 ! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:26 pm 

You say integral, was that the actual brand of stick?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm 

Yes, the old one I had was an Integral when I looked at it closely.It is a make that Wilko sell if you have one in your town.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:15 pm 

Many places sell Integral.

Why don't you check what (a) brand of memory sticks your TV supports (I gather you are trying to record from the TV to the stick). You may have to reformat the stick on a computer if it is not recognised by the TV;
(b) what is the maximum size of a stick the TV will recognise.

I never had a problem with Sandisk or Kingston (and I believe Integral would be just the same). Most memory sticks do not offer any option for encryption.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:54 pm 

I use Sandisk memory cards daily at work and they work fine. They do come with encrypted software but that's easily removed. Where did you buy your Sandisk stick from?

Time zone: Europe/London