DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:39 pm
Visit Thermo worx


Time zone: Europe/London




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:02 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 4 times
I need a memory stick to record programmes from my TV. I do have one but it is only 4GB and doesn't hold much. Can anyone suggest one that is fairly cheap but would do the job. I am a bit confused by the descriptions on the ones I have seen for sale. Would any of them record from TV or is it a special sort? As you have probably realised, my technical knowledge is very limited!


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:17 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:20 pm
Posts: 700
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 88 times
Any memory stick should do the job, and this place is as good as any -

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/

As a starting point this is a good product -

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Dr ... s-Software

Memory prices are so much lower than they used to be, so it depends on your budget, but 64 or 128 gb hold a lot of stuff..!

but if you want bigger then go for it..

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/USB-Flash-Dr ... lash-Drive


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:32 pm 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 6672
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 1125 times
:director:
I had a lot of problems with several "SanDisk" memory sticks. As far as I can figure its to do with the fact they have "in built encryption" seems not all devices can understand it and so will not read what is on the stick. I ended up using non branded memory sticks.

_________________
Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:49 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Thanks for your replies ,I did borrow one off my daughter which is not being recognised, hence my confusion! The 4gb one I have I have had for years and can't remember what make it is.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:09 pm 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 6672
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 1125 times
That really does make me feel better. When I had the problem I really was thinking it was just me. Was it a SanDisk one that your borrowed?

_________________
Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:20 pm
Posts: 700
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 88 times
As I said, any memory stick should be fine - if you have a problem with it then it is likely to be your computer that needs setting up to be able to read or use any form of memory stick.
Sandisk are one of the big and reliable makes, so it could be that you bought a fake..
I am now slightly out of my depth, but it could also be that you need to format a stick before it is readable,, just like when fitting a new hard drive.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:55 pm 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 6672
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 1125 times
stevewestern wrote:
As I said, any memory stick should be fine - if you have a problem with it then it is likely to be your computer that needs setting up to be able to read or use any form of memory stick.
Sandisk are one of the big and reliable makes, so it could be that you bought a fake..
I am now slightly out of my depth, but it could also be that you need to format a stick before it is readable,, just like when fitting a new hard drive.


Sorry, not wishing to be argumentative, but I do not agree with all that you have said.

I agree that SanDisk are one of, if not the biggest memory stick makers out there, that is why I brought one in the first place, but sheilamary3 wants to use it on her TV (she can since the smaller memory stick does work, but has not enough capacity)
I doubt she has a fake memory stick (yes they do exist) but I would suggest that the "problem" is as I suggested earlier built in encryption on the memory stick.

SanDisk memory sticks have an option for you to be able to "lock" the memory stick. i.e need a password to be able to use the memory stick. Although this is just an option, its software on the stick that stops some devices from being able to use the memory stick. I even formatted one, computer could see it, nothing else could. I ended up using memory sticks from maplin.

_________________
Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:26 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 4 times
The one I borrowed from my daughter is a Verbatim stick 32 GB. She told me to delete the stuff on it so that I could use it but my lap top isn't recognising it either. I just need to buy one a bit bigger than my old one with a readable format.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:45 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:20 pm
Posts: 700
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 88 times
someone-else wrote:
stevewestern wrote:
As I said, any memory stick should be fine - if you have a problem with it then it is likely to be your computer that needs setting up to be able to read or use any form of memory stick.
Sandisk are one of the big and reliable makes, so it could be that you bought a fake..
I am now slightly out of my depth, but it could also be that you need to format a stick before it is readable,, just like when fitting a new hard drive.


Sorry, not wishing to be argumentative, but I do not agree with all that you have said.

I agree that SanDisk are one of, if not the biggest memory stick makers out there, that is why I brought one in the first place, but sheilamary3 wants to use it on her TV (she can since the smaller memory stick does work, but has not enough capacity)
I doubt she has a fake memory stick (yes they do exist) but I would suggest that the "problem" is as I suggested earlier built in encryption on the memory stick.

SanDisk memory sticks have an option for you to be able to "lock" the memory stick. i.e need a password to be able to use the memory stick. Although this is just an option, its software on the stick that stops some devices from being able to use the memory stick. I even formatted one, computer could see it, nothing else could. I ended up using memory sticks from maplin.


OK, then I apologise if I am wrong.
I am certainly no expert, and have never had or heard of problems like that, but as I too am about to buy a few sticks will steer clear of SanDisk.
Thanks for the advice !


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:27 am 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 6672
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 1125 times
stevewestern wrote:
OK, then I apologise if I am wrong.
I am certainly no expert, and have never had or heard of problems like that, but as I too am about to buy a few sticks will steer clear of SanDisk.
Thanks for the advice !


You mis-understand. I am not saying don't use SanDisk memory sticks for your computer, I am saying "They may not work on some devices"
They work for you, most of the time for me, and never for my "guinea pigs" so if they work you, no reason not to buy them. sheilamary3 has problems with Verbatim memory sticks, but they work fine for me. :scratch: (Just checked, I have 3 of those)

_________________
Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:19 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 4 times
I phoned a couple of teccy shops near me and was told that some TVs do not support all formats and to look in my manual to see what it suggested.Couldn't find the manual( TV 5 years old! ) Went shopping and managed to find an Integral stick in a bigger size. It works fine and was only £5 ! :-)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:26 pm 
Online
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 6672
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 1125 times
You say integral, was that the actual brand of stick?

_________________
Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:01 pm
Posts: 140
Has thanked: 154 times
Been thanked: 4 times
Yes, the old one I had was an Integral when I looked at it closely.It is a make that Wilko sell if you have one in your town.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:15 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 pm
Posts: 3249
Location: Dundee, Scotland.
Has thanked: 572 times
Been thanked: 669 times
Many places sell Integral.

Why don't you check what (a) brand of memory sticks your TV supports (I gather you are trying to record from the TV to the stick). You may have to reformat the stick on a computer if it is not recognised by the TV;
(b) what is the maximum size of a stick the TV will recognise.

I never had a problem with Sandisk or Kingston (and I believe Integral would be just the same). Most memory sticks do not offer any option for encryption.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Memory sticks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:54 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:58 pm
Posts: 2902
Has thanked: 751 times
Been thanked: 337 times
I use Sandisk memory cards daily at work and they work fine. They do come with encrypted software but that's easily removed. Where did you buy your Sandisk stick from?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Time zone: Europe/London


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO