DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:40 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm 

Hmm. My Makita 459, which is not too long out of warranty is dying, and I need to replace it, as a repair will take too long - I'm halfway through a job right now and have another started Monday.

I need to stick with Makita, have had a quick look at J&K's resume of the various models and all I know is I don't want one of the big butch trade models as I rarely need the extra muscle or weight.

Any one had a 459 and replaced it , or got any thoughts ?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm 
Old School Chippie

The "big butch trade one" (DHP481) really is the one to go for if you have deep pockets (now running at £150 or so, bare) but if you have slightly lesser needs the brushed motor DHP458, effectively a DHP481 all-metal gearbox and the same high quality all-metal keyless chuck might well fit the bill. Similar weight, 88Nm torque (as opposed to 115/125Nm) but still a highly capable drill. I know a couple of trade joiners who had the DHP459, drove it into the ground and then bought a DHP481 to replace it - but that doesn't really help, does it? I did work with one guy late last year who had the DHP458 and in general it seems very like the 481 in terms of weight and size. The slightly lower power wasn't really noticeable on what we were working on (interior fit-out) as e weren't drilling heavy steels or the like

The brushless model below the top-of-the-line DHP481 is now the DHP484 (replacing the earlier DHP482 last year) and whilst it is a lighter drill it has a reasonable amount of torque (54Nm) for drilling wood, composites and light metals but it wouldn't be my choice for doing masses of masonry or heavy steel drilling. For joinery I think you'd still need an SDS drill with that to do any volume of work.

As it happens I did a quick scout around the net agfter reading your post and whilst the DHP481 comes in at circa £140 to £150on many sites, the brushed equivalent is being sold at £80 to £90 or so, although one dealer is still showing some stock at the bargain price of £67. Worth a punt?

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:10 am 

Thanks J&K !

Sadly, my pockets are not as deep as I'd like so the DHP481 is out - I've had a good look at both the DHP458 and the lighter DHP484 which is more expensive, but not by a massive amount - £99 delivered. http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita- ... -body-only
For me the lighter weight is a big issue and both read as being better than my current 459 so it makes sense, at least to me !