DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:13 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Lost keys on Yale Lock
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:55 pm 

Hi folks.

We've lost a set of keys to our front door - possibly since Friday, and although they usually turn up, I've a feeling these ones are long gone.
We'll have another good look this evening, and overnight we can put the latch on (in case somebody had access to them and tried to enter).
At the moment, there's usually somebody in the house all day. Tad paranoid they're in the wrong hands so if they don't turn up I suspect I'll need to change the lock. This is the type of lock btw:

These cost around £32 (first price that came up to be fair) but there's a brass one (toostation - Yale btw) that's brass rather than grey.
A: would it make a difference if I fitted a brass one i.e. would it be shaped slightly differently (looks identical)?

B: I've also noticed you can purchase a Yale nightlatch cylinder (far cheaper at £8 - I'll need a few quid for extra keys) - would this suffice?

Many thanks.

EDIT - when I've looked at the two lock images side by side above, the brass one looks smaller...?
EDIT 2 (apologies!!) - there is a 89 and 85 model...I probably have the 89 model as it matches the 89 size. That might be irrelevant if I can get awya with just the new cylinder.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:05 pm 

You only need to change the Cylinder (Bit the key goes in) they are different because the one in the bottom picture has not got its "bezel" on. Its sitting next to the cylinder in the top picture.

Very easy to change.
Two screws at the side (door open of course) take the screws out (Don't drop them, put them in a dish)
Lift the main lock up and away from where it was held
Lock will come off
Behind lock is a plate with 2 funny looking bolts
undo bolts
Cylinder will now fall out
Measure / compare long flat silver bit on old cylinder to new cylinder (You may have to cut new one down)
Reverse process.
Should take no more than 10 minutes.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : somapop
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:05 pm 

Yes, it is easy to swap the cylinder over on that lock. As long as you get the appropriate cylinder it is a five minute job (well you know it is really going to be much longer :lol: )

Good luck

DWD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:06 pm 

Beat me to it SE :lol:

DWD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:11 pm 

^^ Thanks guys. Not at all as pricey as I thought...and I can probably guarantee that once I alter it, I'll find the damned keys!
In all honesty...I do think these are long gone so it's probably best I do change (only trouble is, the cost for the extra keys (four of us have keys plus a neighbour) will far exceed the cylinder!
I didn't fit the door (five years old...the door not me) but I've noticed the screws (hex?) are a little worn/moulded - I bet that will be the toighest element to this job.
BTW - I've noticed a few 'generic' night latch cylinders on the likes of screwfix/toolstation - are these ok, or would spending a little more on Yale make any sense?

Many thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:25 pm 

You might need to reduce the length of the silver bar coming out the back of the cylinder, (depends on each lock style). A junior hacksaw will work, or two pairs of pliers will also do the job, one pair to hold it at the lock and the other to bend and snap the bar at one of the grooves.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 pm 

Thanks ayjay - is that in reference to the brand of lock or just in general? I have a hacksaw and pliers.
Screwfix sell a brand called Smith & Locke for a few quid cheaper - any good?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:42 pm 

ayjay wrote:
You might need to reduce the length of the silver bar coming out the back of the cylinder, (depends on each lock style). A junior hacksaw will work, or two pairs of pliers will also do the job, one pair to hold it at the lock and the other to bend and snap the bar at one of the grooves.

I already said that :lol:

someone-else wrote:
Measure / compare long flat silver bit on old cylinder to new cylinder (You may have to cut new one down)

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:49 pm 

somapop wrote:
Screwfix sell a brand called Smith & Locke for a few quid cheaper - any good?

Would you buy cheap tools knowing you want them to last and be reliable?

Spend the money on a decent lock (The Yale one)

Its a pity you don't live near me.............

Attachment:
lock.jpg
lock.jpg [ 288.92 KiB | Viewed 633 times ]

I don't need it (Too big) but the cylinder would be ok for yours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:17 pm 

As an aside. I wouldn’t rely solely on one of these nightlatches to secure you property,they are ridiculously easy to break into and your home insurance probably asks for at a minimum,a 5 lever mortice lock to go alongside your nightlatch.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:47 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
As an aside. I wouldn’t rely solely on one of these nightlatches to secure you property,they are ridiculously easy to break into and your home insurance probably asks for at a minimum,a 5 lever mortice lock to go alongside your nightlatch.

Agreed. Mate locked himself out one night, and he was horrified when I gave the door a fairly light shove with my shoulder, which bent the catch back on it's plate without breaking the door. Can't remember the make of the lock, but I've done that a couple of times.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Fancy_Dan
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:51 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

Agreed. Mate locked himself out one night, and he was horrified when I gave the door a fairly light shove with my shoulder, which bent the catch back on it's plate without breaking the door. Can't remember the make of the lock, but I've done that a couple of times.

Yeah the shoulder nudge is a favourite and I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve just used a claw hammer to pull the front ring clean off and you’ve got easy entry when someone’s lost the keys.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:54 pm 

A mate did the same, I slipped the door with a library card and in, within 15 seconds, for some reason he become a bit more security savvy after that

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:14 pm 

I developed my own method for getting through a nightlatch, (I'll not describe it here), one old girl who was a customer of the builder I often worked for at the time used to lock herself out on a regular basis, it used to take me all of a few seconds to get back in, with no damage done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 pm 

Probably said this before, but when we first got married in the 70s we had a 30s house with probably still the original nightlatch. I didn't automatically change the cylinder as I would now, but I went round with a mate to do something, and had forgotten the keys. Mate tried his key, and it worked. turned out the lock was gummed up and you could turn it with a screwdriver!
It must have been like that for years.
Nightlatches are too easy to open in many ways for my peace of mind, I certainly wouldn't have one on a door that opened onto the street. Too easy for a drunk to fall into it etc. At the end of the day, if somebody is going to break in they will. Don't want to make it easy though!