A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:48 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Load-bearing wall query
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:00 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I’m trying to determine the likelihood of whether a particular wall which has been removed was (or wasn’t) load-bearing. I have had a chartered surveyor look inside the house and originally he informed us when inspecting the house that he didn’t think it was load-bearing, but later he phoned us and said he had reviewed the floor plans further and thinks it may actually have been load-bearing. The removal of the wall didn’t go through building regulations which is affecting our decision on whether to buy the house. I know it’s impossible to determine over the internet, but any advice would be appreciated. I have attached the floor plan layouts of the house before and after the wall was removed between the kitchen and dining room.

Many thanks,

FTB

Attachments:
File comment: After
FAD0D0E4-77EE-4ED1-9974-54B4009DE1F8.jpeg
FAD0D0E4-77EE-4ED1-9974-54B4009DE1F8.jpeg [ 68.32 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]
File comment: Before
FC69BA3A-0426-42C7-880F-E733B06240EA.jpeg
FC69BA3A-0426-42C7-880F-E733B06240EA.jpeg [ 75.15 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:09 am 

It does not look like a supporting wall to me as it is not apparently under an upstairs dividing wall. Quite frankly if it was a load bearing wall I am sure there would have been issues by now with the ceiling showing signs of movement. If the original wall was taking a load it would be obvious if a steel had gone in. Are the dividing walls solid or stud?

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:29 am 
Newly registered Member

dewaltdisney wrote:
It does not look like a supporting wall to me as it is not apparently under an upstairs dividing wall. Quite frankly if it was a load bearing wall I am sure there would have been issues by now with the ceiling showing signs of movement. If the original wall was taking a load it would be obvious if a steel had gone in. Are the dividing walls solid or stud?

DWD

Thanks for your helpful reply. The section of wall with the opening between the hall and kitchen/diner is of solid construction, not entirely sure about the wall between the kitchen/diner and lounge. Upstairs walls are all stud.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:43 am 

It would suggest that the joists are running to rest on this solid wall across the kitchen and old dining room and also for the opposite living room. With the upstairs dividing walls being studs the downstairs layout does not need to give major support for the upper floor walls. I would think it is sound but this is my opinion on what you have shown in your diagrams.

Good luck if you proceed.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : FTB
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:00 am 
Newly registered Member

dewaltdisney wrote:
It would suggest that the joists are running to rest on this solid wall across the kitchen and old dining room and also for the opposite living room. With the upstairs dividing walls being studs the downstairs layout does not need to give major support for the upper floor walls. I would think it is sound but this is my opinion on what you have shown in your diagrams.

Good luck if you proceed.

DWD

Thank you for your help. I will update what happens.