DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:50 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:33 pm 

Not a DIY day as such but they have some air wedges for £7 for two
A universal socket with ratchet £8
and an injectable filler which goes off in a minute £2.50 to fill or repair holes

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Non-Food-Offers.htm?id=570

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:11 pm 

I needed an impact for the occasional use. Wishbone bolt was siezed shut and I couldn't take it off to gain access to the wishbone bush to replace, so ended up having to take it to a mechanic to fix. A bit annoying.

Cant decide whether the impact is worth buying or whether I should save up and buy a cordless. What's a typical price of a cordless impact driver in that sort of power range?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:03 pm 

ive used the dewalt impact wrench 18v xr model. used it to bolt together 2 fairly large rsj's that were holding the rear of a house up. the thing actually lifted them as it bolted them together. awesome bit of kit. i was well impressed with it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 pm 

ive got a couple of winbags like i could use a couple more so think ill swing by and pick some up

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:33 pm 

TigeruK
They do a parkside cordless impact driver but no knowing when it will be on offer last year it was about June cost about £40. Aldi do a workzone one too sometimes comes as a twin pack with drill though just a case of keeping your eyes open for when they come on offer

Then after that you are probably looking at double especially if you need battery and charger

For this message the author boxedin has received gratitude : TigerUK
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:06 pm 

boxedin wrote:
TigeruK
They do a parkside cordless impact driver but no knowing when it will be on offer last year it was about June cost about £40. Aldi do a workzone one too sometimes comes as a twin pack with drill though just a case of keeping your eyes open for when they come on offer

Then after that you are probably looking at double especially if you need battery and charger

Thanks. I will pass this one up then and wait for a cordless. The corded one is a good backup to have in a garage/workshop environment when you know you're going to have access to mains power. Unfortunately I don't have that sometimes I have to go drive to an industrial caul-de-sac so I can get the car on ramps to do oil change. because parking in front of my house is nigh on impossible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:17 pm 

i have a mac allister impact its ok for the money, but it strugles with wheel bolts, its a big time saver when it comes to smaller stuff - breaks etc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:06 pm 

think I am getting mixed up here:
An impact wrench with an 1/2" drive so you can fit sockets to it would be best for car work high torque min over 300nm
An impact driver would be good for long screws and light nuts and bolts but not have enough grunt for moving wheel nuts as often only 100nm and tends to have the 1/4" drive

Impact wrenches are made by Wolf, Clarke, Sealey, hilka, Snap on, as well as ryobi dewalt, makita milwaukee
eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolf-18V-Lit ... SwbP1aWdE2

This video shows limitations of the Parkside impact driver
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Agtt-9LdY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:52 pm 

I've got a pneumatic impact wrench that does ok, but mostly I use a breaker bar, good old physics rather than technology.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:12 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
I've got a pneumatic impact wrench that does ok, but mostly I use a breaker bar, good old physics rather than technology.

I bought a 900mm breaker bar to get a wishbone out. It seized. The breaker bar was flexing to a slight arc as I was try to remove the seized nut and it wont move. I ended up just taking it to a garage to get it off. I presume they just used an impact driver and took it off. There are some things that a good impact wrench can take off that a bar cant.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:42 am 

TigerUK wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

I bought a 900mm breaker bar to get a wishbone out. It seized. The breaker bar was flexing to a slight arc as I was try to remove the seized nut and it wont move. I ended up just taking it to a garage to get it off. I presume they just used an impact driver and took it off. There are some things that a good impact wrench can take off that a bar cant.

True, the impact part can be more beneficial than pure torque. The breaker bar flexing though is not a problem, it's designed to do that as it increases the torque. I like my breaker bar, it's quiet, cordless and cheap. They do have their downsides though, they can be awkward to get into places and you need to be able to brace yourself to get full power. Best thing is to have both lol.