DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:06 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Libraries
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am 

In Essex, there is a big push to close many branch libraries. There are the usual consultations going on, where the outcome is already determined I reckon, and as you would expect a lot of local uproar by folk that have never had their arse in a library.

Closing our local library will not affect us as we generally go to the main library in Chelmsford. The local library never seems to be open and there is not a tremendous choice of books. Mrs D is a prolific reader and she moans that she can never find anything on the rare occasions we find the branch open.

They are trying to sell the idea of passing the running of it over to community groups, a disaster in the making, and I have mixed feelings on it. When you go into the main library there are clearly a lot of people sitting about for long periods keeping warm, others are using the free internet terminals and you think why? A lot of students are in there getting a bit of peace no doubt as they update their Facebook pages. Even the main library is not that busy so I can understand the County Council looking to close a number of branches where the computer systems have detected the lending numbers are very low.

On the other hand I get a bit miffed as Council's charge for everything these days and all I want is my bin emptied, the potholes filled and errr...that is about it for my £2500 a year Council Tax. So leave the effing library open, I might want to go.

w*nkers.

DWD

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
 Post subject: Re: Libraries
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:56 am 

Your last line made me smile.

There is a scheme/app called Libby, which is a free ebook/audiobook loan service - I say free, but it's actually funded through libraries. In London you can log into Libby using your library card. Maybe it's the same in Essex...

Well worth a try - it's 'free'.

Maybe this is where the physical library funds need to be diverted.

If they close more libraries, i hope its replaced with useful services for the modern world. I'd love to have access to 3D printers for a modest cost, for example.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:08 pm 

I actually used a library on Thursday - mid morning it was deserted - like most councils there selling off buildings and land as they say there skint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:35 pm 

Our local library has just been knocked down so they can rebuild it and increase facilities available as well as adding housing above. They did the same with the next nearest library a few year ago, put in a flats above, community services and a shop. Seems to be working out well.
Central library has also moved into a new building with extra facilities including a roof deck seating area.

My mother was in there last week and saw a teenager reading while having a picnic lunch and charging his phone. She mentioned it to a member of staff thinking it wasn't allowed to be told that they are happy for people to come in and use the facilities, internet, power etc, and have no problem with people eating and drinking as long as they don't leave a mess. Same goes for the homeless who are welcomed in to get advice, use the internet, charge their phones if they have them etc.
It made a nice change to actually see my council tax being used in a good way and almost made me forget about the shit-show the rest of the services are at the moment :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:48 pm 

Even though I have a Kindle, I still like a book. Although I do read a fair bit on the internet as I am interested in history and I get focused on areas, currently the East India Company. I think that the idea of making the libraries more useful as R describes above is something that should be tried. If you have a load of homeless in there though no one else will want to come in so there has to be a balance.

It is all about money though, the Council still has to pay the rates, light, heating, staff (qualified so expensive) computer systems etc. and a small branch just cannot justify its existence with poor use. A lot of local libraries were established when transport was not easy and we even had a mobile library up until recently.

I do not like to see any services go but we must move with the times. The BBC have not seen this sea change yet but they will end up a dodo in due course.

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 pm 

Our nearest library has just been computerised to self service, as said before selection of books is not great. The library at Stubbington often has classes of some sort during the day and nights, knitting computer literacy, photography etc. these are well attended. The main one in Fareham is similar with a small cafe also. I read quite a lot of WW2 naval history and like to hold a book.
I have a Kindle mainly for travelling with access to Libby it also gives you access to monthly magazines.

It’s the old saying ‘use it or lose it’

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm 

EJJ150847 wrote:
Our nearest library has just been computerised to self service, as said before selection of books is not great. The library at Stubbington often has classes of some sort during the day and nights, knitting computer literacy, photography etc. these are well attended. The main one in Fareham is similar with a small cafe also. I read quite a lot of WW2 naval history and like to hold a book.
I have a Kindle mainly for travelling with access to Libby it also gives you access to monthly magazines.

It’s the old saying ‘use it or lose it’

Can you access Libby books through a kindle device?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:21 pm 

Don’t think you can in the UK, however if anybody knows how to?
I download mostly free books via Bookbub or Endeavour media which you have to sign up to, a cousin in the USA got us into them.
Google either of the above, the books are delivered via Amazon.
Hope this helps.

For this message the author EJJ150847 has received gratitude : sammy.se
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:54 am 

There is a new one being built very near us, it only small but will be very accessible :-) on the new house plans I have designed a large alcove, this is where the Tv, speakers, projector screen etc will all be, the architect has it down on the plans as a "Bibliotheque which in French is a Library :lol: so I will have to be very quiet in that part of the house.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:32 am 
Old School Chippie

EJJ150847 wrote:
I read quite a lot of WW2 naval history and like to hold a book.

That makes two of us then (both on tactile and content grounds). Whilst I don't use the main lirary much I do use the reference library and county archives (both Lancashire and West Yorkshire+ quite a bit. I agree that there is far less of a need for branch libraries than there was due to travel, not everyone has that option - especially the young (who obviously should be encouraged to read) and the elderly (who often can't or shouldn't drive), As I'm turning into one of the elderly the loss of local library services, in a period in mu life when I may no longer be a physically active or able, is a matter for concern

What did always surprised me over the years when doing private work was how few books many customers had in their houses. We have always been the other way with (always) insufficient shelf space and regular trips to the charity shop required with books for disposal ('er indoors and myself are both avid readers). With the advent of the Internet and Kindle we have noticed a marked decline in the number of secondhand and antique book shop. Fortunately within 10 miles we still have 5 or 6, so I should count myself lucky, I suppose

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda

Time zone: Europe/London