DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:28 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:25 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I am converting my interior garage on a 2015 UK Persimmon new build house into a workshop. I have already replaced the garage door with French doors allowing natural light in, but I now want to upgrade my interior lighting.

At present I have two pendant light fittings which I believe run to their own circuit braker in the fuse box. I would like to replace one of the pendant lights with four LED ceiling panels, possible one of these types: https://www.lightrabbit.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=cool+white+595*595mm+Panel+light

I would like to recess these lights into my ceiling so they are flush and I have a couple of questions regarding this:

1. Is the single pendant light wiring strong enough and safe enough to run four of these LED panels?

2. As I mentioned I would light to recess these lights into the plasterboard ceiling and I am wondering if this would be ok? My main concern is that if heat builds up in the lights and drivers they could start a fire, especially if in near proximity to any insulation?

I would appreciate any help with this and please feel free to let me know if I have missed anything obvious that could be a hazard!

Many thanks,

Stophen.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 pm 

1) Very probably. (Depends what they existing lamps are supplied by)

2) Is there a bedroom above the garage? if there is the plasterboard ceiling will be acting as a fire barrier and if you cut a hole in it heaven forbid there is a fire in the garage, but if there is a fire there is "nothing" to stop the fire going into the bedroom.

If there is no bedroom above the garage then you should always remove insulation around any light fitting as it can do its job too well (Insulate) and make the light fitting overheat.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Stophen
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:05 pm 

A properly installed lighting circuit will be protected by a 6A circuit breaker and wiring to match (1mm or 1.5mm) and should also be part of an RCD protected circuit.

If this is the case then the lighting circuit can support a maximum of 1.5kW (or thereabouts) of lighting. Note that the 'circuit' may be an extension from the house lighting OR a separately wired one from a supply dedicated to the garage. Check.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Stophen
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies.

I do have a bedroom above the garage so will surface mount the LED panels to the ceiling without removing any of the plaster board (according to the manufactures instructions).

Cheers, Stophen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:00 pm 

I would not want to drill holes is a garage ceiling as it can effect the fire resistance, your link has many lights and seems faulty so no idea what you were looking at. My garage has fluorescent lamps one where original lamp was, then simple link cables to the next one using stuffing glands in the end of lights, not too good to look at, but loads of light, and cheap, since mine are old there is likely a stroboscopic problem with rotating parts, however LED can have same problem.

The maximum supply for lighting is 16A however many lighting parts are rated 6A for example a ceiling rose, so normally there is a 6 amp fuse/MCB/RCBO on lighting circuits. There is only a requirement for RCD protection in the bathroom, and for buried cables of certain types, however it would be unusual not to have RCD protection.

The standard design is to allow for every lamp to be 60W, I know that is not longer required with LED lighting but it would be very unusual to find any problems with supplying any lamp under 60W.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : Stophen
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:34 pm 
Approved Electrician

ericmark wrote:
There is only a requirement for RCD protection in the bathroom, and for buried cables of certain types, however it would be unusual not to have RCD protection.

That will change on the 1st Jan