DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:51 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi there,
I’ve a garden about 19m long and 6m wide that I want to cover with floodlight as burglaries have been on the rise around my area.
I was looking at LED floodlights with PIR sensors and now came across some models with microwave sensors with may be a bit better. I was thinking first to install 2 or 3 floodlights and connect them to 2 or 3 different PIR sensors around the garden to ensure any movement at odd parts would be detected but it ended up looking overcomplicated and I’m back to 2 or 3 floodlights working standalone and perhaps with microwave sensor.

I’m just worried about a couple of cats that can activate it, but so far, I’ve heard the sensitivity of microwave can also be adjusted. The model I’m thinking is this http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/pel00418/30w-led-floodlight-with-microwave/dp/SR09946

Ideally, I would like to also have manual control of the lights from inside with a switch, but it seems PIR lights can do this as they have only 3 wires (earth, live and neutral) and the microwave has a remote control, but I believe it must be IR sensor so only when facing the light I can control it. I’m thinking about a smart home automation system like Samsung SmartThings with Z-Wave protocol, so if anyone knows a way of integrating floodlights and smart home systems that would be a bonus

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: arrows are planned floodlights
2018-01-28_20-49-12.jpg
2018-01-28_20-49-12.jpg [ 68.52 KiB | Viewed 721 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 am 

When they first came out pir / floodlight combo was great, its dark, burglar comes into garden, flood light comes on, burglar sets new 100m hurdle record. (Jumps over fences) Now they are so common the burglar will stay because he now now see what he is doing thanks to you. I would not bother with them. Go for good locks, an alarm and maybe CCTV. The other thing you have to consider is your neighbours, its all very well having flood lights come on, but if you do have them and they light your neighbours place they can take you to court and win. Some one near us had one (floodlight / pir) we could see it at night quite easily, it never lit our garden, but it must have annoyed some one, it was only there for a few months.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:18 pm 

Regarding having flood lights remote controlled, for the cost of flood lights why not install a couple of additional ones? then you could bring the feed indoors and put a plug on it and plug in as and when required, or if you want to be able to control them from your phone why not get a sonoff unit? (It switches on / off and can be controlled by your phone / Alexa and they don't need a hub and cost less than £8)

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 pm 

bleicker wrote:
Ideally, I would like to also have manual control of the lights from inside with a switch.

Some PIR controllers (I have only every looked at the independent controllers as opposed to those that are part of the lights) can switch on the light with an on/off on/off of the switch within a set amount of time (e.g. within 5 seconds flick the switch twice). Check out the models you are looking at.

You need to think what you are trying to achieve with the lights. Sounds like a lot of lights for a narrow garden and as someone else said, they may end up helping the burglars. I fitted lights but they are/were for my benefit, e.g. finding the right key and the keyhole etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm coming to terms that is better to have a manually operated flood light from inside the house with a regular switch or perhaps a switch which is connected to zwave so I can control remotely and then I'll put a camera with IR like the Ubiquiti unifi G3 https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-video/unifi-video-camera-g3/ with an IR extender that then can detect movements on a specific area and send alerts. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
Regarding having flood lights remote controlled, for the cost of flood lights why not install a couple of additional ones? then you could bring the feed indoors and put a plug on it and plug in as and when required, or if you want to be able to control them from your phone why not get a sonoff unit? (It switches on / off and can be controlled by your phone / Alexa and they don't need a hub and cost less than £8)

Can you control sonoff unit from outside the network? It says compatible with Nest, but it would be temperature and other things that would trigger it. Not sure I would be able to operate it from Nest remote app or something like that?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:43 pm 

The sonoff unit must be able to connect to your wifi network, but there is nothing stopping you having the sonoff unit indoors and the floodlight where ever you like.

You can change the state of the sonoff unit from anywhere in the world, via your smart phone. (Not that i see why you would want to do it, but you can.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 am 

I also have a garden at rear of house, in the garden is a pond, kids swings, etc, I do not mind that much if the intruder finds the pond the hard way, and see no reason why I should fit flood lights to help him avoid it.

Next door has fitted flood lights, which were switching on/off at all times of night, we would to start with look out of window every time they went off, but now we have heavy curtains so they do not disturb us, and that is what happens, one starts to ignore the lights so all they do is help the intruder. Unless it also starts a camera recording they are useless at stopping intruders.

Yes I have PIR lights, but not for intruders, they are to help me when I arrive home, or go out to garage, not to help intruders.