DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:05 am

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Lead can I glue it
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:15 pm 

I have removed a rotted wooden exterior window sill and before I replace it, it would be a good idea and a neater job if I also replace the old lead trim beneath.

The problem is that there is another window close up and that wooden sill is sound.

The lead beneath both sills runs in one continuous length.

It is easy enough to remove the lead but to fix it securely under the sill that I am not removing will be difficult or impossible.

I could leave the old lead where it is and then fix new lead over the top.

So leaving the old lead there, can I fix the new lead in the proper manor before replacing the new sill then glue the rest of the run of lead under the sound sill which remains in situ?

Hope this makes sense. Thank you.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Lead can I glue it
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:58 pm 
Old School Chippie

Trying to get the lead out in a single piece may well prove to be impossible. Difficult to say without actually seeing how good or bad the old lead work is, but I'd possibly consider cutting the lead into 2 pieces, pulling the rotted timberwork out, replacing the window frame then re-leading. If the existing lead is any good it should be possible to do a wiped joint between the two pieces of lead, or alternatively go for an overlap with LeadMate to seal the joint. TBH most of the lead guys I've worked with are inclined to replace rather than patch on smaller areas simply because old lead work can be thin and even porous - a repair, even a good one, will only last as long as the oldest/worst piece of lead.

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:31 pm 

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:44 pm 

In response to your original question as regarrds gluing lead is that while is is just about possible it is very rarely done as the joint is likely to fail more so than other methods of jointing. The lead would need to be scrapped back until it shines silver as the grey colour is the oxidised surface and a because lead tends to move a fair bit a very flexible glue would need to be used.
Generally lead is joined by "burning" . In efffect it's welding and requires a small very hot flame to do , usually an acetelyne torch is used. An alternative would be to form a welted joint between the new and old lead. This folds made in a way as to stay waterproof without need for recourse to mastics or glues.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:01 pm 

I will try to explain a little better.
There are two dormer windows side by side with about 20cm gap between the two. The lead runs in one continuous length under both windows and disappears under the roof tiles at either end. The lead looks old and is not level but works fine.

One of the dormer window sills has rotted. I have removed it. The other window sill is good.

Now that I have the rotted sill off, I thought I would replace the lead but as I say the lead is held firm at each end of the windows by roof tiles.

What I thought to do is lay another continuous length of new lead straight over the top of the old lead.

I can fix the lead easily with a couple of nails under the window with no sill, but I will have a problem fixing the lead under the window with the sill so I was thinking maybe I could glue that end.

Can I glue one layer of lead to another? I would run some glue on the old lead under the sound window sill and press the new lead on.

I am not trying to join two lengths together. To leave half the old lead there and just replace the other half would not look very good.

Hope this is clearer.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:13 am 

Laying one piece on top of another is usually done to act as a sacrafical cloak , it wears away while protecting the under piece. In that situation it is not normally fixed at all , no nails and certainly no glue. The top edge is held by being dressed over the baton and the bottom may have clips. Clips being a strip of lead or sometimes copper nailed at the top edge and extending past te cloak by a coupe of inches and then turn back up onto the face of the cloak. Hope that makes sense. Sacrificial lead is normally not fixed so that it can be moved a bit once it starts to wear.
You could very easily do something similar but nail the top edge of the lead using copper nails. This would entail lifting a few tiles but tat would need doing anyway. Nail all along the top edge and replace tiles and window. If you wanted it would be easy to remove the old lead while you are at it which is what most plumbers would most likely do . Really no need for glues.