DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:19 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, recently bought an LDV Convoy, 2001, with the 2.5 Di engine. I don't know much about mechanics but trying to learn as I go so any advice or ideas would be great thanks
Drove to the shop and when came back turned the ignition and the engine wouldn't start but heard a whirring sound.
Checked it out and the sound was coming from the starter motor but the whirring sound would continue even after switching off the ignition.

I have done the following tests and now am a little confused;
-charged up the battery as appeared to be dead
-checked voltage across it and was normal
-connected the battery back to starter motor which started whirring immediately before switched on the ignition. Disconnected battery
-disconnected ignition connection to connector on solenoid then re-connected the battery. The starter motor started up again. Checked voltage across battery to solenoid connection and correct voltage
-removed the starter motor
-hooked negative up to the back earth plate and then connected the positive to the battery connection. Fired up immediately and the pinion gear at the back was spinning rapidly

Had a read and I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the solenoid in that the iron rod isn't going back to its resting position so keeping the circuit from the battery to the starter motor connected. But not sure if this happens ever? This may explain why it drained the battery but I don't understand why if the pinion gear is spinning why this wouldn't start the engine.

I've also read about troubles with the dual mass flywheel in the 2.4 duratorq engine clogging up the starter motor but struggled to determine whether the flywheel in mine is likely to be a dual mass one. As the flywheel is now slightly visible is there an easy way to check?

Any advice would be sound thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:50 pm 

2.5 di engine sounds the same as what was in the old transits.

they arent dmf. solid flywheel.

they also benefit in winter from having the larger type of starter motor. theres a big one and a little skinny one. those engines also benefit from a twin battery set up.

other than that i cant help ya. but best of luck

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:15 pm 

Sounds to me like the starter solenoid is stuck?. if you have a dual mass flywheel fitted and it is starting to break up, you would normally find a lot of black rubber powder in the starter motor housing, and when running you can normally feel the clutch pedal pulsing when you rest your foot on it. not been on the tools for a while but back in the day you could give the solenoid a tap with a rubber or soft faced hammer a few times to release it, this was only a temporary fix though.

The starter when working properly moves forward/backwards from resting position to engage and spin the flywheel, the reason the starter is not starting the engine is probably because it is spinning in the rest position.