DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:32 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Lazy People
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:00 am 
Troll Headbutter

People drive me mad sometimes who just can't think for themselves. This applies to any industry I'd well imagine, but what is happening to common sense and people actually THINKING for themselves?

Had TWO emails already this morning about accounts that have expired and can I help them sort them out (3rd parties who we work alongside).

They managed to ignore 2 weeks worth of automated emails telling them it expires. Plus, IF they log into the account (which they should), it asks them each time to change the password.

It takes 10 seconds + thinking time for a password.

Once the accounts are locked, they then go into a 2 week warning period where they are told that they will be removed from the system. They also ignore them (now unable to access what they should be using).

THEN and ONLY THEN, the system deletes the account (it's a secure one, which is why it happens) and THEN they mail me in a panic asking if I can help. ::b ::b ::b ::b ::b

These idiots though......accounts that have nothing to do with us and the description was poor, at best.

Asked for a screenshot of the issue and what they needed (account needed membership renewal for something). Got a screenshot and it was there, clear as day "CLICK HERE TO RENEW YOUR ACCOUNT". How do they even not read that far??????????????? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Ahh, just pissed off today. Properly pissed off. Might have something to do with never letting people sort my hotels and travel out and actually making the mistake of handing over the reigns.

Now I've got to go to Germany next week and have a hotel that is 1* and about 40km from where I needed to be - but it saved them 40 quid or so booking a real hotel. Now I've got to get a car, drive all over the place and generally f*ck around. Never again. Who Fuc$ing stays in a 1* hotel in the middle of nowhere???? In fact, balls to it - I'm not.

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author BillyGoat has received gratitude : gas4you
 Post subject: Re: Lazy People
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:01 pm 

BillyGoat wrote:
Now I've got to go to Germany next week and have a hotel that is 1* and about 40km from where I needed to be - but it saved them 40 quid or so booking a real hotel. Now I've got to get a car, drive all over the place and generally f*ck around. Never again. Who Fuc$ing stays in a 1* hotel in the middle of nowhere???? In fact, balls to it - I'm not.

You tell 'em Billy, sometimes you just have to make them have it. (Just don't say I said so). :mrgreen:

I hate all corporations/companies/ or just about any organisation - e.g. my nipper declined to go on a course for his company in his own time - (he's been on roughly two per year in the last three years, all at the company's expense) so they then passed him over for promotion when his immediate boss left and replaced his boss with an outsider - who nipper then had to train!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:26 pm 
Troll Headbutter

ayjay wrote:
BillyGoat wrote:

You tell 'em Billy, sometimes you just have to make them have it. (Just don't say I said so). :mrgreen:

I hate all corporations/companies/ or just about any organisation - e.g. my nipper declined to go on a course for his company in his own time - (he's been on roughly two per year in the last three years, all at the company's expense) so they then passed him over for promotion when his immediate boss left and replaced his boss with an outsider - who nipper then had to train!

That gets my goat - similar story for my mate!

He had a job and could do it really well.
New boss came in and said he CAN'T do the job, as he's not got a degree.
Took on a degree graduate who HE then had to train up. Said graduate was on MUCH more money than my mate.
Mate trained grad up (who was useless) and was made redundant.
Graduate made a total f*ck up, so new boss had to outsource to another company.
Mate applied for job and got job as had experience in role.
Company payed 3x the cost of mate's old role to outsource to guy who done it - company now happy.
Company realised it was costing too much and brought job back in house.
Mate applied for job and got it, providing he done a part time degree (stupid boss's rules)
Mate has old job back, 2x the money and is having a degree paid for "to do the job".

You couldn't make it up.

BG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:12 pm 

I was going to say in the thread about City and Guilds, how the best bosses used to be the ones who'd done an apprenticeship, and had got any further qualifications at night school or whatever.
Seen it happen quite a few times (and I'm going back a while) where someone would get a management job because they had a degree, and they would be totally clueless about any "real world" stuff, and would be relying on picking the brains of the blokes at the sharp end actually doing the work, while they sat in the office filling in forms in triplicate, having daily meetings for several hours, and counting how many blue paperclips they had.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm 

Yep, some people are just either lazy, or don't listen to the people they employ. One company I worked for told us there were going to be redundancies. The MD asked me for advice on employee selection (I was a project coordinator) Told him to keep the 2 apprentices as these actually cost the company less in wages and they were very good workers. When the redundancies were announced, Yep, the two apprentices were both let go. Also got rid of their machine shop foreman and asked a chap off the shop floor if he could take over. Machine shop foreman would work as many hours as was needed to complete projects, and mucked in. Chap he got to take over, didn't /wouldn't do any overtime. Sat in his office all day, only coming out to moan at the workers. Even moaning to my manager, "Why does John work in an office all day when he could help out on the shop floor?" When my manager told me I went and saw the chap and asked him "Why don't you get up off your lazy arse and help out?" His reply,,, "I'm not paid to work on the shop floor." On one occasion I was helping out on the shop floor, to get an order finished. In the morning I set about the task of applying transfers to some display units. In the afternoon I had to assemble some metalwork on to other display units. The metalwork took all of about 5 minutes to fix, whereas the lads assembling the units took about twenty minutes. I decided that for 15 minutes I'd drop back on the transfer applying, then go back and fix the metalwork (ad infinitum) The foreman came out and asked me why I was applying transfers to the display units when he'd told me to just do the metalwork. Told him it makes sense for me to do both jobs instead of wasting 1/4 hr waiting on the other units being assembled... He just couldn't see it. :sad: :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:41 pm 
BANNED

Unfortunately I was sacked once for hitting an a'hole like that when I was rather young. It was a nasty job in a bakery, shift work and I had to paint all the pie crusts and buns with egg. I threw it out as it had three inches of mould on it and went for more eggs. The Foreman told me the mould didn't matter as it cooked off and they would take the four dozen eggs from my wages. We had a bit of argy bargy and he knocked the bowl from my hands for not listening so I dumped him on his arse, then all the foremen chased me round the plant with brooms and the like trying to club me down until I picked up a nearby knife used for cutting dough and warned them off. I was sixteen! These days I would be jailed for that probably; luckily then I just got my wages and 'out the door lad'. I went builder's labouring after that, much more fun, still the odd fight but much less bullshit!

Young lass I know is all excited for getting the odd trip abroad, to take minutes and sign off on documents when her line Boss is away or busy. They are using her but she can't see it, thinks she is an 'executive' because she gets to sit in an aeroplane or taxi or hotel room when she should be at home - but in fact she is on pretty poor wages and a dogsbody. No overtime for all the time away but at least she gets a decent Hotel. She thinks she is being groomed for stardom when the boss retires soon bless her. I hope she can stand the disappointment when she has to train her next boss ... but she has to learn for herself.

Why the hell do so many w*nkers get into top positions? Companies too big or what? I've seen a lot of corporate stuff from outside but via my ex-wife. Still a glass ceiling too from what I can tell and any shiela gets high has to be a pretend male and a ballbreaker. i know it's just human nature and has always existed but seems to be getting worse, laziness, ignorane, incompetence and lack of reliability and responsibility. Decent workers are abused, not rewarded, I hear it most days over dinner.

Maybe I have caught terminal old man's grumpy disease but if were you BIllyGoat I would be telling someone where to go. You can't stay in a fleapit and perform well next day!

For this message the author jape has received gratitude : BillyGoat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 pm 

jape wrote:
She thinks she is being groomed for stardom when the boss retires soon bless her.

I worked for one joinery company, who'd won a contract replacing council house windows and doors. The owner of the company drafted his daughter in to oversee the whole project. When we were going out to fit the windows and doors , she'd count screws into envelopes. She even calculated how many sprigs it took to hold the wooden beads in place and counted those out too. Fitting a door? No probs. here's three hinges (24 screws), two handles ( 8 screws), one lock ( two screws), one letterbox (four screws), one threshold strip (6 screws, 6 brown plugs) If I'd been in charge of this project I'd have given the joiners whole boxes of screws, plugs etc (as would any company) She actually thought she was saving her dad thousands of ££££'s :cb :cb

For this message the author joinerjohn has received gratitude : BillyGoat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:42 pm 

joinerjohn wrote:
jape wrote:
She thinks she is being groomed for stardom when the boss retires soon bless her.

I worked for one joinery company, who'd won a contract replacing council house windows and doors. The owner of the company drafted his daughter in to oversee the whole project. When we were going out to fit the windows and doors , she'd count screws into envelopes. She even calculated how many sprigs it took to hold the wooden beads in place and counted those out too. Fitting a door? No probs. here's three hinges (24 screws), two handles ( 8 screws), one lock ( two screws), one letterbox (four screws), one threshold strip (6 screws, 6 brown plugs) If I'd been in charge of this project I'd have given the joiners whole boxes of screws, plugs etc (as would any company) She actually thought she was saving her dad thousands of ££££'s :cb :cb

Surprised she didn't make you weigh the shavings back in every night! :lol:

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : BillyGoat
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:51 pm 

joinerjohn wrote:

I worked for a builder like that once, (he was known as "pigface" to all his men cos of his fat face and little piggy nose, also known as"The Red Flash" cos his van was always red and he was always in a hurry), when I started he sent me out jobbing and gave me what he called a starter box - it was a standard cardboard box that would originally have held 28lb. of wire nails. In this box were loads of little boxes, an assortment of screws nails and pins and he fully expected me to keep a written record of what I'd used and then he could replace them later. :roll:

Got lot's of tales about him in the locker. :shock:

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : BillyGoat
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:23 pm 
Troll Headbutter

There are always people who count the pennies and throw the pounds!

We are always being asked to cut costs, save cash, etc, etc. So we do, as we are supposed too. Then the boss books first class/business flights (at 7x the cost of cattle), pays for the lounges to "work" and always uses meet n greet parking, taxi everywhere and 5* hotels.

Makes you wonder why the money is being saved.......to balance their spend, I'd hazard a guess.

BG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:35 pm 

"The Boss" could buy the hotel so you stay for free

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:08 pm 
BANNED

It's amazing how their egos need so much support. Hotel beds costing hundreds a night, it's all the same when you are asleep given relative cleanliness and quiet. First class mind you is always tempting but never affordable, I hate cattle class flights.

Mind you there is some truth in penny pinching, we save all our 'change' by habit. Used to be a grand a year for a surprise but nowdays because of plastic touch cards it is just a hundred or so and we give any copper and small silver to a charity, not worth counting.

When we decided to seriously 'save' we budgeted and checked on everything and just by not impulse-buying and watching not to waste food etc. we saved 8 grand in six months which shocked us. Thriftiness was once a virtue but so much is packaged so you have waste, bringing back the old greengrocers and butchers would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:58 am 
Old School Chippie

Isn't the old saw "Penny wise, pound foolish"? I've worked for quite a few firms where managers attempt to micro manage trained and experience staff who know far more than they do. It always ends in tears before tea time..... It's a classic sign of management incompetence and inexperience. But then isn't there another saying about most managers being promoted to one level above their level of ability? Again a classic way for those further up the greasy pole to keep their positions..... I can well remember an interview some years back where I realised easy on the that the two guys I'd have to work for were complete muppets and that I could never work for them. At the end they asked me where I intended to be in 5 years. I told them that In 5 years I'd be their boss. I didn't get the job but 5 years later they came to work for a firm where I was their boss..... Seems they'd been got rid of by new senior management who thought they hadn't got enough drive

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:02 pm 

They always used to say that if you were any good at the job you were doing, you wouldn't get promoted. There was, I think, a grain of truth in that. On the other hand if it was completely true some of the ones saying it would have held directorships.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:08 pm 
BANNED

When I was building I took the same wages as all my crew. I also paid labourers the same which caused a fuss until I told the brickies to mix their own mud. I know they worked hard to get skills but some people don't have the brains but will work all day non-stop at the hard tasks like cleaning bricks. We started a 'mate' system where even without certificates if someone worked well together they could teach a labourer their handy skills. One woman for example learned joinery and went on to make and sell reproduction Elizabethan tables with carving and all. I later saw one sold as the real thing by a top dealer.

I also employed women labourers. Not as strong but full of stamina and made things more, not less relaxed. Swearing dropped a bit, not the words but the comments. Anyone recalcitrant just didn't get on the next job.

I made a rule of cleanup every day. No-one ever stepped on a board with a nail in it.

We all went cash in to a job, put in equal percentages and took equal shares of profits. I took an extra share for making the calls and organising, doing the plans and schedules, which was usually in my own time anyway. Anyone slacking soon got sorted out and after a while top brickies would for example make the tea if they had spare time or even enjoyed cooking! They would even work on a roof if weather put us behind or anything unusual. If a truck arrived loaded with timber/tiles/cement, then anyone handy unloaded it. Still got the shoulder scars from blisters from hot bags from the day I forgot my leather jerkin!

Did half-a-dozen renovations and re-builds like that before I decided to go back to school and do electronics. If I were to work again I would try the same methods, a fine bunch of people made daily work fun.