Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:59 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:26 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ok so not necessarily DIY but after some advice.

We’re looking at removing the wall between the kitchen and dinning room. While we will do most of the decorating etc ourselves we will need some help removing the wall. We think it’s load bearing and it does have the waste pipe from the upstairs bathroom boxed in within it which would need re routing. Just like looking for advice on where to start. We obviously need to engage a builder and structal engineer but who do we speak to first?

Probably too early but any idea of a ballpark price I should be having in my head?

Thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:27 pm 

:welcome: You should never ask for a "ball park price" on any forum. here is why.

I say you are looking at £10k
A.N. Other says £17K

You like mine because its lower, but what will you do when the builder who is going to do the job says its £21K ?

You then realise that I or any one on any forum only know a load bearing wall of unknown length that has a soil pipe boxed in that needs to be moved somewhere, so all anyone can do is make up a figure since we have never been to site, don't know what is involved, don't know how feasible it is but yet you believed it because it was a low price.

The only way you will ever get an idea is to get quotes by trades people visiting site and see what is actually involved.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:29 pm 

This needs a site visit & survey from prospective Builder to evaluate the situation and submit a quote.
Having said that, it would be good practice to put your inquiry out to say three local builders from your locality.
At least that way you will have a choice in the final decision.

As regards to ball-park price; without some relevant dimensions etc. it's simply a case of "how long is a piece of string!"
As stated above go out for some quotes.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

As I said I assumed an idea on price would be a long shot but I just had no idea and just having a £10-£20k kind of stab gave me ideas on what to expect. So totally appreciate what you’re saying

The real thing I was after understanding was who to speak to first so I can move things forward as didn’t know where to start and seems that speaking to a builder as opposed to a structural engineer seems the way to go so thank you for the advice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:36 pm 

Jo1234 wrote:
As I said I assumed an idea on price would be a long shot but I just had no idea and just having a £10-£20k kind of stab gave me ideas on what to expect. So totally appreciate what you’re saying

The real thing I was after understanding was who to speak to first so I can move things forward as didn’t know where to start and seems that speaking to a builder as opposed to a structural engineer seems the way to go so thank you for the advice

You are not wrong with either Builder or Structural Engineer to be honest!
Your proposed work is of a domestic nature and of a regular item to most small and medium builders. They are well versed in the principles of propping and securing a building prior to removing any existing masonry. In addition Lintels designed for various spans and wall thicknesses are readily stocked by Builders Merchants.
You could of course consult a Structural Engineer who would be happy to specify which lintel or size of RSJ to use. He could also probably recommend a Builder. But you will receive a bill for this service; while the majority of Builders will provide a free quote.

Should the work prove to be of a particularly complicated nature; your Builder would soon point this fact out and request an Engineers report.

Hope that clarifies, and good luck with the quotes and getting the work done.

Davyp1