DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:44 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:41 am 

My mother has finally decided to re-paint the kitchen, both a blessing a curse, the current colour is awful (as I said it would be), but it also means I have to sort it out :lol:

Anyway we have agreed that white is the better choice, the current is duck egg blue and doesn't work with the floor or units at all. It was some awful wilko kitchen paint that feels very plasticky, I am worried we might have trouble painting over it, I will wash it down with sugar soap first, do I need to use some sort of primer too?

For the new finish I was thinking silk for easy cleaning so need a recommendation for a good silk paint. Can you still get white, as opposed to PBW? PBW might be a touch too cold looking so a standard white would be best if possible. I know a trade paint will be recommended and that's fine.

Fire away :)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:16 am 

I did a similar job some time back, probably 1980's. It was a glossy type paint and had that shiny finish. I recall I went over the walls with my palm sander and took the gloss off that way. I used Dulux Vinyl Matt, which was good paint back then, and it turned out well. I don't know if this will help in this instance R but you might want to experiment. :thumbright:

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:19 am 

personally i'd use an Acrylic eggshell in stead of silk as it's not as shiny & it's more tougher..Wash down then give it sand so the paint will key on the the surface.
I'd also use a good quality trade paint..Armstead trade durable eggshell is good for large areas although you may need to 3 coats to cover the blue as that can be a tricky colour to cover.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:41 am 

Will the eggshell work on the ceiling too? I am wanting to do both at the same time since the ceiling will need a bit of a freshen up and I don't want to be faffing around cutting in with 2 different white paints.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:40 am 

Rorschach wrote:
Will the eggshell work on the ceiling too? I am wanting to do both at the same time since the ceiling will need a bit of a freshen up and I don't want to be faffing around cutting in with 2 different white paints.

Yes..It will even do the woodwork as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 am 

Rorschach wrote:
If you are using the same colour for walls and ceiling use the same paint. It is a different matter though if you think the ceiling will need a freshen up and the walls won't, you either don't cook or your mother has some huge kitchen (meaning if/when the ceiling needs painting so will the walls).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:26 pm 

The ceiling was painted when the walls were done in the duck egg, about 3 years ago maybe. It looks in good condition but certainly wouldn't hurt to have a fresh coat and if I can do it in the same paint as the walls it seems a no brainer.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:59 am 

Have you considered a vinyl wrap for the doors/drawers ?

vinyl-wrapping-t78705.html

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:15 am 

The doors and drawer fronts were replaced only a few years ago, they are in perfect condition. Same goes for worktops and flooring. It's only the colour on the walls that is the problem.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:22 pm 

Any other makers of Acrylic Eggshell recommended or any in particular to avoid? Just think about what I will be able to get easily in my area.