DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:34 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

This is my first post with a specific question, although I have lurked for a few years now and taken loads of useful information which really helped me with refitting my bathroom! It's time to move on to the kitchen now, and this is where I'd value any ideas/suggestions you may have....

I went to Magnet yesterday with my squared paper sketch and the guy was able to bring it to life for me in terms of producing a 3D image (although I did notice when I got home that something rather obvious is missing from worktop on the right hand side under the window :wink: ), but he didn't really offer any design suggestions as such - just plotted what I had already drawn. I'm ok with that for the main kitchen as there isn't a lot of scope to swap things round - sink position is fixed due to this being an extension and the location of the existing drainage.

Attachment:
File comment: Magnet drawing incl dimensions
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG [ 25.97 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Magnet 3D drawing
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG [ 34.59 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

What I'm struggling with is the island. On my squared paper, I had allowed 1.2m clearance the whole way around and also plotted a 1.2m squared island - it had so much space around it, it really was a desert island! The guy at Magnet said I don't need that much clearance so could have a much bigger island (as you'll see from the picture).

I think some kind island with an off-set breakfast bar would be the best use of the space - maybe at different heights and definitely with different texture worktops but I'm struggling to get anyone to understand what I mean, and make suggestions. The 3D drawing from Magnet gives one idea, however, I'm not sure it's the best? :dunno: This is the kind of thing, but with a bigger breakfast bar area to utilise more of the empty space.

Attachment:
File comment: Idea 1
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 15.38.21.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 15.38.21.png [ 209.5 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Idea 2
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 15.38.37.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 15.38.37.png [ 386.09 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Attachment:
File comment: Idea 3
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 15.43.32.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-12 at 15.43.32.png [ 271.78 KiB | Viewed 514 times ]

Perhaps I can't find many images of what I have in my head on google as there's a reason why people don't have this kind of set up?!

In summary, my questions are:

* Does anyone have experience of working with this kind of island/breakfast bar set-up and if so, can you point me in the right direction of useful resources please? I'm in SE England if there are any kitchen designers/showrooms you can recommend for ideas
* Is there any kind of cheap (maybe even free) CAD software that I can use myself to play with ideas and make my own drawings? Although I can see this meaning me not leaving the house for days on end!!

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ikea has a kitchen planner which I used. Give that a look. My brother does kitchen design, hes in Arundel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion Christian. I did try the IKEA kitchen planner when I started out - it was ok for the basics but doesn't allow a u-shaped kitchen with island as one of its design options so I don't think I'll be going back :scratch: