DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:57 am
Drainage online 

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:45 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Just moved into new house and the previous owner has lost the keys for the back door which is locked - its has a euro style cylinder but I cannot take it out without the key to replace - anyone have any ideas on how I can change the cylinder without calling a locksmith?

I've taken the handles off the door etc but cannot pull it out as it has a screw from the front edge of the door holding the cylinder...I have checked to see if the lock has any numbers for keys etc but nothing - seems a cheap double glazing job!

thanks, ash

Attachments:
31-12-2009 15.36.47.jpg
31-12-2009 15.36.47.jpg [ 136.01 KiB | Viewed 7551 times ]

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:39 am 
Newly registered Member

Anyone please ? I realise its the holiday season!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:49 am 

I have had the same problem but on a garage door. You can drill them out or pick them. I have made some lock picks our of hacksaw blades on my bench grinder so I am going to have a go at picking it today. There are lots of vids on Youtube that show you how to do it. Euro locks will snap if you can get the handles off to give you a grip but I do not think I would try this.

I will let you know how I get on.

DWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:03 pm 

had the same problem, drilled the lock. it took me about 20mins and 4 or 5 drill bits.

patients is needed, and good drill bits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:34 am 

Buy some cobalt drill bits they are tough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:54 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

prem wrote:
had the same problem, drilled the lock. it took me about 20mins and 4 or 5 drill bits.

patients is needed, and good drill bits.

My dad did same thing many years ago, took a while and couple of bits as you say. Still had trouble opening the door, perhaps the bits were too small :scratch: Cheaper than a lock smith though.

Probably want to make sure you can get a new lock straight away or have one ready if you know type/size. You don't want to be doing it on a Sunday and all stores are closed!

Leave a door open for one minute in my place and they would nick the door :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm 

A locksmith would make short work of this job as they have the right tools to the job easily.As a locksmith i would pick the lock and put in the new cylinder.You need the right sized cylinder,if its sticking out after fitting you have left your home very vunerable to a burglar.
Not all locks are the same either some are far better than others hence why one of the posts above mentioned needing 4 drill bits.Not all locks have hardened pins to protect against drilling. Go for one of the cisa astral locks from screwfix,a very good lock for the money.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

mchu6am4 wrote:
Hi,

Just moved into new house and the previous owner has lost the keys for the back door which is locked - its has a euro style cylinder but I cannot take it out without the key to replace - anyone have any ideas on how I can change the cylinder without calling a locksmith?

I've taken the handles off the door etc but cannot pull it out as it has a screw from the front edge of the door holding the cylinder...I have checked to see if the lock has any numbers for keys etc but nothing - seems a cheap double glazing job!

thanks, ash

Hi the only way you can get lock out is to drill through use a hss bit about 4mm you need to be drilling at the top of the lock i,e thats were if you were putting key into lock the top of key what your trying to achieve is to get all the pins to drop out then you need a big flat headed screwdriver place it at lock and hit hard with hammer until maybe about a 1/4" is inside lock then turn until lock opens then measure length of lock looking at pictures poss 100mm 50/50 when door is open you will see a screw that holds lock in place undo this then turn lock until 1 o clock position is achieved hey presto barrel will come out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

take both handles off and remove spindle between handles.
now only thing left sticking out will be the euro cylinder.
give both side s of cylinder a really good whack striking from the top down over alternating from outside to inside whilst doing so . barrel should snap at its weakest point and both broken parts should pull out .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

clamp with mole grips and pull up and down till lock snaps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 pm 

mikethebrush wrote:
clamp with mole grips and pull up and down till lock snaps

Thank you Mike, that also damages the door ::b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:14 am 

People trying to save money on these types of jobs gets me loads of work because of advice like the molegrips post.

What is that sir ,the lock doesnt now work because you did what ? Oh you need a new gearbox or multipoint locking strip sir. Yes thats right minimum of £100 plus vat sir.

Sometimes its worth paying for someones skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:35 am 

lockie wrote:
People trying to save money on these types of jobs gets me loads of work because of advice like the molegrips post.

What is that sir ,the lock doesnt now work because you did what ? Oh you need a new gearbox or multipoint locking strip sir. Yes thats right minimum of £100 plus vat sir.

Sometimes its worth paying for someones skills.

And that doesn't include a possible new door lockie ::b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

i subbied to the M.O.D. for a few years working on married quarters , and the houses were had new occupants in nearly every 2 years and sometimes keys would be lost (sometimes on purpose) so the method i tried at first was drilling it out using lots of drill bits and flat batteries so since then if it was possible to get inside of the property i would crack the barrel with heavy strikes from my claw hammer with no other damage. i was talking to a pvc door and window manufacturer wanting a new barrel to fit one of his doors and his was the method he advised . I suppose if you are not confident in using a hammer and having to give it lots of blows and miss hits you will cause probs but giving it a few heavy strikes will work in my experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:15 pm 

Ive read these posts and as someone who has to get into void props fast drillng is a option their are faster ways as lockie knows but I dont think it would be wise to post info in case it gets in the wrong hands :roll:

dECK