Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:32 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all. Got a new garage/outhouse built a couple of years ago, concrete floor - which was allowed to properly dry out before painting. Put on a couple of coats of floor paint. After a few months I noticed that I had a problem with water ingress near the door and, where this had happened, the paint had started to blister and break up. I duly stripped it back and repainted. I had some further issues with water ingress near the door and again had to re-do the paint in that area.

More recently though, like over the past year, the paint has started to flake and break up in areas that were never damp. Then I happened to leave the door open one drizzly and windy day and I noticed that where the drizzle had blown badly, the paint was blistering badly. I then experimented by spraying water onto parts of the floor that I hadn't already scraped away lookse paint from - and the wet paint blisters within seconds - it's as if I'm spraying paint stripper onto it instead of water! See the YouTube video here:https://youtu.be/JOEUWkSmLpU which shows how quickly this happens.

Is this just a case of poor quality paint or is there something else going on? I'm going to scrape the floor right back all over to re-treat it. To be honest this blistering thing will actually make it easier to clean it back, but I 'm wary about putting something else down if it's going to go the same way. Anyone seen this issue before? The paint used was 'No Nonsense Trade Floor paint' from Screwfix.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm 
Newly registered Member

It could be that the floor was still damp, when you apply a coating over a damp surface, or it is subject to high humidity it can attack the binder and make it forever susceptible to moisture.

For this message the author jmt has received gratitude : psybear