DIY Forum


Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest


DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum




It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 8:41 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Isolation Valve Adapter
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:39 am 
Senior Member

Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:01 pm
Posts: 268
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times
Morning All,

I've been wanting an outside tap in my garage since we moved into the house a 3 years ago but never got round to it. Well i'm getting round to it now.

As the boiler is in the garage, i've got easy access to the relevant pipes however i don't want to cut into a pipe. At the moment there is a section that's been t'd off with an isolation valve ... AtCh8P8HAQ

which feeds the water dispenser to the frige freezer. My initial thought would be to buy one of these ... ap+adaptor

however, as you may have noticed straight away (which i didn't), it doesn't fit into the Isolation valve. Is there an adapter i can get that will make this worth or am i just making things harder for myself with not wanting to cut into the pipes?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:02 am 
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 7370
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 1249 times
The more "bits" you have the more chance there is to leak.
I would cut the pipe, fit a yorkshire T piece (you solder them) then an isolation valve, then pipework to your tap. (all soldered)

Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 am
Posts: 87
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 36 times
That adaptor (from Amazon) you have listed is designed to screw onto an outside tap and provide two further outlets. Its no use for what you want to do. An easier approach would be as follows:

1. Get a small length of 15mm copper tube, two 15mm compression tee's, a non-return (check) valve and a 15mm compression drain off.
2. Turn of isolation valve, cut pipe on fridge side of valve, insert compression tee (with unused opening facing down).
3. Cut a short length of tube, insert into unused part of tee, and attach non return valve (arrow facing direction of flow).
4. Further short piece of tube to other side of check valve.
5. Attach second tee to tube, and via another short piece of tube, attach drain off. Leave unused opening right or left, or pointing through wall if tap going outside,
6. Connect tap to unused opening via further length of tubing.

If you can solder, all compression items except check valve and tap could be replaced with soldered equivalents.
You could also use push fit fittings and plastic or copper pipe (remembering the inserts if using plastic pipe).

The isolation valve will limit the flow, but to replace it with a full bore one you'd have to turn the water off at the mains.

Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 

Similar topics

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group