DIY Forum


Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest


DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum




It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:42 pm

Time zone: Europe/London



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:58 pm
Posts: 2
Has thanked: 1 times
Been thanked: 0 times
My intentions are to affix a `Wickes Kingston Steel Up & Down Wall Light - 35W `to external brickwork near my backdoor & bore a hole directly through my kitchen UPVC window frame to allow a cable through, finally attaching a standard 3 pin plug - allowing myself to plug it directly into a kitchen socket! For ease of installation. Advice greatly appreciated from any electricians, thanks.

Confirm what voltage cable you would recommend.

WALL LIGHT 2.PNG [ 181.37 KiB | Viewed 651 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:52 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 8403
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 1429 times
First of all cable is not "measured" by its voltage, it is measured by its cross sectional area.
Second don't drill through a uPVC window frame.

A light next to a window can be more of a pain than you would think, since it will give unwanted glare from the glass, and may create shadows inside.
Why not move the light to one side of the window and drill through the wall? Yes you will need a long bit like This one (Drill at a slight angle down)

Then use 3 core flex and a 3A fuse in your plug.

Fret not, a forum is a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:57 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:27 pm
Posts: 647
Has thanked: 70 times
Been thanked: 143 times
someone-else wrote:
(Drill at a slight angle down)

Meaning, from the inside - outwards.

If drilling from outside, angle upwards. This is to alleviate the possibility of exterior precipitation (rain) tracking in to the building.

Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 



Similar topics

Time zone: Europe/London

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics




News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group