DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:51 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 am 

Our silly kitchen fitter (and general builder) has tiled the walls and floor prematurely. Now we have to make a hood extraction hole which will inevitable crack the tiles in it's path.

I'm just curious as to whether it's possible to spot replace tiles. I generally don't see it done.

The builder chipped a tile after it was laid, so he just took out the chip and filled in the area with grout. We asked him why he didn't replace the tile - there's plenty spare and he said it's not possible to replace the single tile as it wont look good and will be misaligned.

:roll:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:39 am 

You can do it but it needs bit of care. You drill a few holes in the tile and carefully break it out. the old adhesive needs to be chiselled out to allow for sticking the new tile and levelling it properly. The grout is the hardest to match but after a few floor washes it all goes grey anyway.

DWD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 am 

Thanks. I have to try, it's a brand new kitchen and looks amateurish with the botch filling jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 pm 

I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnIcMJlr73o&t=303s. Says it all really

DWD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Your builder was giving you the run around. Sounds like he couldn't be bothered. I've done it several times over the years.

You need to be careful not to prise up adjacent tiles. I did it DWDs way just slowly tapping out old adhesive and grout.
Other way I did it was first remove the grout with a tool like the Pme 180 then the tile. That way you can not worry about the tile grout and tile damaging adjacent tiles. Floor tiles are tougher though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:20 pm 

That's a cop out, tiles can be replaced, it does require care though to do a good job, probably why he didn't bother. Even a poorly installed replacement tile though looks better than a grouted up broken tile.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:10 am 

TigerUK wrote:
Our silly kitchen fitter (and general builder) has tiled the walls and floor prematurely. Now we have to make a hood extraction hole which will inevitable crack the tiles in it's path.

I'm just curious as to whether it's possible to spot replace tiles. I generally don't see it done.

The builder chipped a tile after it was laid, so he just took out the chip and filled in the area with grout. We asked him why he didn't replace the tile - there's plenty spare and he said it's not possible to replace the single tile as it wont look good and will be misaligned.

:roll:

Get a new builder.

There's every chance a diamond core drill won't crack the tile, provided it's properly stuck to the substrate. (which might be a foolish assumption given what you've told us). :sad:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:26 pm 

I am a novice and I managed when we cracked a tile.

I cut out the grout and then as others said I drilled the tiled and chiselled it out. I am not saying that it will work due to not knowing your wall etc. but for us it did.

If someone helps then thank the helper and also check out UHM's Nominated charity - http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/