DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:40 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: is it a scam?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:59 pm 

Often you may share information regarding a scam, with the intent that others don't fall for said scam.
You may like to know that often the scams are made up and have been going round for years.

You may like to check the following websites to find is what you have been told a scam or not.

Hoax slayer

Snopes

Other sites are available.

Just saying...........

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author someone-else has received thanks - 2: City Flooring, surrealdeal
 Post subject: Re: is it a scam?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:11 pm 

I had one recently where I got a reply to an ad I had on gumtree via text, within the text was an email link to message them back, it would have been quite easy to just tap the link but I tried to reply as a text but it didn't work, I imagine that link may have downloaded some hacking software to my phone that runs in the background. Pays to be vigilant. Having said that my card got cloned a few years back while on holiday, they waited a few weeks before starting to empty the account, £1800 I think it was but the bank gave it back within days as I did not authorize the payments.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:37 pm 

Paypal
I have had a couple of hoax paypal emails claiming that my paypal account has been suspended due to unusual activity and inviting me to click on the link and log in to view my account
HMRC
The last two years after I have done my yearly account I have received an email shortly after saying that there was an issue/private message log on to my account. I reported it to HMRC first year they knew about it. Worrying thing is that it was very shortly after me doing my online return
Banks Natwest/Santander etc
Same as paypal above most times they use an emal address which is very close to the correct one so its easy to be fooled if you're not concentrating.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:38 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
Often you may share information regarding a scam, with the intent that others don't fall for said scam.
You may like to know that often the scams are made up and have been going round for years.

You may like to check the following websites to find is what you have been told a scam or not.

Hoax slayer

Snopes

Other sites are available.

Just saying...........

Good to know thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:30 am 

I once kept a supposed future Russian bride on the end of my line for months. Undoubtedly it probably was a Nigerian scammer but it was fun at the time. I used to tell her/him stories I saw in the TV series prison Break and I used all the characters names as aliases for my mates. Inevitably the day came when she/him wanted to visit me but she/him needed a couple of grand for the flight. I told her/him I'd send over 10k for the flight and expenses. They must have been creaming in their pants but the money never arrived.....funny that.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : mezzygohil