DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:16 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

First, apologies if this topic has already been covered by another post. I’m new to this forum and can’t find anything that seems to apply.

I have a 8 year old Intergas HRE 28/24. A few months ago a loud vibrating noise started that appeared to be coming from the boiler. The frequency of the noise seems to have increased to the point that it’s now happening on and off all day.

The noise can only be described as a loud humming/vibrating sound (it’s definitely not the fan on the front of the heat exchanger (as I know what that sounds like when that fires up). The noise lasts for anything from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes in length, and can occur from anything like a few times in a five minute period to isolated instances in the day. To be clear, it occurs pretty much every day now.

The display mostly shows ‘5’ whilst the noise is occurring, but also ‘7’. Although, does not always occur when the display shows ‘5’. Also, there is occasionally a whiff of flue fumes around the boiler, but I’m not sure if that’s connected.

The noise / vibration is definately coming from the boiler and appears to be centred on the middle of heat exchanger (I know this as I took the boiler cover off and held the tip of screw driver against the heat exchanger casing in different spots). I’ve a video of the noise if there is anyway posting it on the forum. Incidentally, I also videoed the burner flame in the inspection mirror; it went from a steady blue gas jet to a yellowy disrupted jet when the vibration occurs.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m going to get a heating engineer out, but wondered if I need to get someone specifically with Intergas knowledge or if it’s a typical problem.

Thanks in advance.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:49 pm 

No idea what so ever, but why don't you video it, post it on youtube, then post the link here?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:10 pm 

It's definitely the fan :wink:

The only other possibility would be an incorrect mixture which would make more of a mooing noise

Roughly whereabouts are you?

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:24 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Razor,

I’m in south Cheshire.

Video clip of the noise below:
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0c-ZL0qOgdPCFPXIPufQc7DyA

Video clip of the boiler flame
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0ZfO1IWO5pG9i6XHu6yevP2ww

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:48 am 

That's combustion it probably needs a proper service including being opened up and cleaning out.

I'd advise you call Intergas for that one it's £90 for a full service including a full strip, new front seal, fan flap upgrade and greasing the bolts to get rid of that annoying clicking noise that you will have by now!

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:01 am 
Newly registered Member

Great, many thanks Razor!

I’ll get straight onto Intergas in the morning to book a service.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:56 am 

Hopefully you will get Colin, he's a really nice guy - for a scouser :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell him Ray said hi and he will look after you :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Update.

Had Intergas (Mark) out for a service today and turns out the boiler is, well, right royally buggered!! Seems a combination of a lack of regular servicing (which I won’t be repeating) and a poor install by someone who (I only discovered recently) didn’t register the install with Intergas or let alone with Gas Safe!

The bad news was it’d be an £800 repair bill, so have decided to bite the bullet and get on the hunt for someone who can put a new one in. Been really pleased with the boiler, so see no reason to go for another make (in spite of one guy on the Intergas intallers list trying to sell me a Baxi).

One of the other reasons for sticking with same boiler is it’s in a fairly slim cupboard and these Intergas boilers are only about 240 deep (if expansion vessel separately located).

Anyway, the decision now is whether to stick to the same HRE 28/24 on the hope it’s a straight swap and keeps the install simple, or (as I’m leaning towards) go for a slightly taller HRE 36/30, as in my three bed Victorian semi, the 28/24 seems to be a little lacking (rads never seem to get that hot even through boiler was set to max, new TRVs / rads and system was flushed when it was installed). The latter will mean pipe work needs a bit of adjusting, but hopefully won’t add too much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:05 pm 

Buggered in what way? Unless the heat exchanger has been damaged everything should be covered under a fixed price repair. Have you got a copy of the report?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Report says a new heat exchanger (due to a sheared/broken bolt), bottom tray, burner and new set of bolts is required.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:37 am 

That sounds like an awful lot of damage for a boiler that's never been touched, I've only ever seen two with damage to the hex bolts, on one they had been done up with an 18v impact driver and on the other rain ingress had rusted the bolt at the top left and 'welded' it into place :shock:

The boiler should have a life of 20 years.

As far as replacement have a look at the ECO RF. It's an identical size and a straight swap but has a ten year warranty as opposed to the 7 years you get with an HRE for almost the same price. Plus if you bind it to a Honeywell room thermostat it becomes boiler plus compliant right out of the box!

Is the boiler on the rear jig? If so changing it will only take a couple of hours. If you go for the bigger one you will need the bigger jig as well and you may need to double check the gas pipe size as it will have a higher output to hot water.

Size wise if you have heating problems just fitting the bigger boiler won't help - even the 28kW version will do over 20 average rads it's more likely to be a balancing issue on the system or similar.

If you can post a couple of pics of the install I will ask if any of your local guys are interested in quoting. I can probably find you a good installer :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi Razor

Firstly, thank you so much for your speedy and detailed response. It really above and beyond, and is very much appreciated! I sense you have a real pride in Intergas and are a credit to them.

I wasn’t around when the service engineer (M.Turner) came (although spoke with him briefly on the phone). He said it was bad and as you’ll see from the photo, he had to condemn it. He, said the neat pipe work was about all the install had going for it, and there were a few other bits that had not been done right?! He took some photos, presumably when he took it apart, but I wasn’t around to see.

I’ll look at the ECO RF, thank you. I’ve not long bought a Nest thermostat (after the old Honeywell one pack in), so I’d like to keep it. Do you know if that can be used for Boiler Plus also?

I believe the boiler is on a kit hanging frame. It’s not the one with the combined expansion vessel. Instead we have a robokit, that is in the roof space directly above the boiler. New 22mm gas supply pipe was installed from the meter to boiler when the original work was done.

I’ll post a photo when I get to a PC (phone pics are too big to upload).

Thanks again for all of the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 am 
Newly registered Member

Update.

Intergas are sorting us out. They have kindly offered to do the install and I can buy the replacement boiler direct (ECO RF was a little too much more).

Seriously. What a helpful and friendly company. To say I am properly impressed is an understatement. I know some organisations’ customer service has become a low bar over the years, but I am pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:43 pm 

That's great news! It's almost like someone had a word with head office :wink:

Assuming you have a V3 Nest ask them to wire it to use Opentherm and enjoy at least 15% lower heating bills plus a much easier life for the boiler

For this message the author Razor has received thanks - 2: Dave54, wine~o
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:08 pm 

Razor wrote:
It's almost like someone had a word with head office :wink:

Pffft... who would do a thing like that...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Razor