DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Insulating Mancave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Hoping people could offer some advice PLEASE ::b

Started to convert a Single Skin (Concrete Block) Garage / Workshop in to a Mancave :-)

I have searched many a website trying to find the 'Best Method' and have eventually decided to purchase 25mm Celotex for the Walls along with 50mm Rockwool Soundslab.

I made my mind up and was going for Option 1 below but have had some conflicting advice regarding installation and would appreciate it if any Builders out there could give me their professional opinion on the proposed options below:

Option 1) Install the 25mm Celotex to the Block Wall with 3x2 battens holding in place spaced at 600mm Centres with the 50mm Rockwool in between then Plasterboard over battens.

Option 2) Install Battens 3x2 against Block Wall again spaced at 600mm Centres with Rockwool in between. 25mm Celotex over battens and then Plasterboard over Celotex.

Option 3) Any ideas welcome..

In both cases the Celotex will be taped with the appropriate Foil Tape and the Celotex will be used at the VCL.

My Concerns / questions are :

1) The Block work is porous and with the heavy rain the Water penetrates the brick work - With option 2 the Wool will become damp which will be a problem. I will eventually Render the Block Work so should that prevent the Water entering the inside of the building? I'm thinking I could seal the brickwork for the time being until such a time as I get the Rendering done?

2) When the Block Wall is eventually Rendered will that cause any issues with moisture not being able to escape through the brickwork naturally if I went for Option 2? Moisture shouldn't get past the Celotex VCL so am I worrying too much about this?

3) Should I use Tanalized Timber in the Wall?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Insulating Mancave
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:57 pm 

Your option 1) - This would work, but I would suggest the fitting of a vertical DPM between the Blockwork & the Celotex

Your option 2) - Again this would also work, but I would fit vertical DPM to the whole of the blockwork and under the timber grounds. You could fit Plaster-board that has been pre-bonded with 25mm Celotex.

My opinion) - I would be tempted to start with 1x2" Tanalised Tile laths fitted @ say 600mm centres with a vertical DPM under each of them. Also leave gaps in these vertical grounds (say 50mm gap every 600mm) to allow cross ventilation the full length of the wall. Fix Plaster-board prebacked with 100mm Celotex direct to the grounds.
Fix four 'Hit & miss vents (2 at the top & 2 at the bottom) to allow cross ventilation of the internal air.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Plastic- ... Y25T3D7MH7

Your Questions -
Q 1) Vertical DPM would sort this problem.

Q 2) External render with a waterproof additive would only improve the integrity of the walls.

Q 3) Yes.

Davyp1

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : mpb10
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the advice Davyp1

Just to confirm I have already purchased the 25mm Celotex and the 50mm Sound Slab insulation with a view to doing Option 1 or 2. Is there any other options using the materials I already have?

With Option 1) Maybe a Silly question but would the Foil back Celotex not act as the DPM for the walls as it is impermeable?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:40 pm 

No the foil of 'Foil backed Celotex' would not act as a DPM.
The foil would react in time with any moisture and oxidise.

To use those materials, I would still be tempted to go for an 'air-gap' solution.
Fix 1x2" Tanalised roofing laths gapped for air passage & fixed vertically over a DPM to suit the Plasterboard size.
Fix the celotex first with the foil side 'in' and the Sound slab stuff over that. Lastly the Plaster-board, but dont forget to cut the Hit n' miss air vents in.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi still pondering what to do regarding this..

Fix 1x2" Tanalised roofing laths gapped for air passage & fixed vertically over a DPM to suit the Plasterboard size
Would 1x2 be 'man enough' to fix the celotex and the plasterboard to?

Fix the celotex first with the foil side 'in' and the Sound slab stuff over that. Lastly the Plaster-board, but dont forget to cut the Hit n' miss air vents in.
With the use of hit n miss airvents would this eliminate any possible condensation?

Thanks

M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:10 pm 

Fix the Celotex using a 38mm long Clout nail.

Fix the 50mmm Insulation using an 80mm long screw + a washer (you may have to drive the screw & washer into the insulation a litle)

Fix the plasterboard using a 90mm screw.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws ... ews/sd2716

And yes, the 2x1 will be man enough.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 pm 

With the use of hit n miss airvents would this eliminate any possible condensation?

Thanks

M[/quote]

Sorry, I forgot to respond to this point!
The main purpose of the vents is the prevention of dry-rot developing in the 2x1 timber grounds.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks davyp