DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:35 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:29 am 

Hi. I want to install an oak beam in my ceiling for decorative effect.

I don't want it to take any load and the extension shell is already built. I thought that I would fix a couple of bearers, say 8 x 2's to each wall running from floor to ceiling and sit my beam on that. For a bit of added support I thought I'd screw 2 or 3 lengths of wall plate strap into the top of the beam and then screw these to the joists prior to plastering, just for good measure.

Does this sound like a sensible approach?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:44 pm 
Pro Carpenter

don't know if it will look right with supports either end as they would normaly be tied into framework that forms the walls
unless its a big room of say 18ft i think verticle lines will make it look small

whatever you do make shure it looks like any joints are held together by oak dowels :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:56 pm 

That's a good point. I think it should look OK as the room is 11ft wide and 17ft long. It's a kitchen and I'm spanning the 11ft but one upstand will be hidden by kitchen units and the other will be next to an inglenook thingy that I will build for my Rayburn.

My biggest concern is the concept and as to whether floor, breeze block walls, and straps to the joists can share the weight of the load OK.

I didn't realise how b****y heavy the beam was till I carried out of the garage with the Mrs at the weekend! It's 7 x 7 in section but oak is pretty dense stuff - as I found out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:22 pm 

Inclined to agree with big-all, it might look a little strange with timber supports either end.
I would have thought that it would look better if you made it look like a knock through, i.e. vertical supports boarded and skimmed with beam left exposed.
Floor & walls will support no problem, as long as joists are not overspanned they would support your beam even without verticals (worst case they will sag a little over a long time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:26 am 

Terrific! Thanks for the info Marksson. That is what I had in mind, I probably didn't make myself that clear.

As it happens, when I came to measure up for where my inglenook is going to go for my Rayburn, it turns out that the beam is in the exact same place as one of the walls! So, I thought I'd get my two support posts in, lift in the beam (with a few mates as I have discovered that oak is very heavy), then screw some firm fix to the support and build my wall up to it thereby giving it extra support and also tying it in.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 am 
Newly registered Member

Installing oak beam isn't easy feat. You have to make sure that the flooring is ideal for the project. The best solution is to ask for an expert's help to have a look first so they can also advise you with the type of hardwood you can use and the sizes or thickness recommendable for your home.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:40 am 

If you have to use timber uprights to take some weight then make a feature of the them, make them as you would a set of gallows, there are commercial brackets available called "Gallow brackets" to give you an idea, your beams sit on top of the "Gallows" and rest on your wall, this is what I did here in France but on a larger scale, the beam was 240x240 by 7.2 Mts, 300yr old oak, the "Gallows" were made of the same except the angle which was 180x180, and I fitted them by myself which was a challenge, using, ropes and winches :huray: Nos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:02 am 
UHM Super Moderator

borderhardwood wrote:
Installing oak beam isn't easy feat. You have to make sure that the flooring is ideal for the project. The best solution is to ask for an expert's help to have a look first so they can also advise you with the type of hardwood you can use and the sizes or thickness recommendable for your home.

Please don't dig up 10 year old posts.