DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:23 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Installing a chandelier
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello
Does anyone know at what us the maximum a light fitting can weigh before you would need to install additional support for the light fitting?
Thank you

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:55 pm 

AFAIK there is no figure given. It's going to depend on how things are fixed and what the surface is.
Personally, with any sort of fitting weighing more than a standard ceiling rose set up I'd want a better fixing. Wooden noggin above the PB between joists, or firmly fixed to one if the cable comes out right next to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:15 pm 

As Dave54 said there is no specific weight as it depends on what the light fitting is fixed to, I would say its down to common sense.

My OH got this hideous lamp shade (Big and bulky) I put a large hook in the joist and put chains from the hook to the light fitting, it made it look more hideous than it was already but the OH was happy the new lamp shade was up.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:24 pm 
Approved Electrician

someone-else wrote:
As Dave54 said there is no specific weight as it depends on what the light fitting is fixed to, I would say its down to common sense.

My OH got this hideous lamp shade (Big and bulky) I put a large hook in the joist and put chains from the hook to the light fitting, it made it look more hideous than it was already but the OH was happy the new lamp shade was up.

You should have "droppped" when fitting it :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 pm 
Approved Electrician

Dave54 wrote:
AFAIK there is no figure given. It's going to depend on how things are fixed and what the surface is.
Personally, with any sort of fitting weighing more than a standard ceiling rose set up I'd want a better fixing. Wooden noggin above the PB between joists, or firmly fixed to one if the cable comes out right next to it.

Agreed, but I wonder if the OP is actually asking about the maximum weight that the flex on a pendant can take when adding a heavy chandelier style light shade.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:49 pm 

OnlyMe wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

Agreed, but I wonder if the OP is actually asking about the maximum weight that the flex on a pendant can take when adding a heavy chandelier style light shade.

Yes, but I'd always assumed that the weights given (and I've forgotten what they actually are) were for a properly clamped outer, and not the usual "wires around hooks" setup in normal ceiling rose and pendant fittings. I've never been that keen on any weight on flexes TBH. They always seem to creep in the clamp over time.
It also comes back again to how well the ceiling rose is attached to the ceiling.
It's a good point though.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:36 pm 
Approved Electrician

Dave54 wrote:
Yes, but I'd always assumed that the weights given (and I've forgotten what they actually are) were for a properly clamped outer, and not the usual "wires around hooks" setup in normal ceiling rose and pendant fittings. I've never been that keen on any weight on flexes TBH. They always seem to creep in the clamp over time.
It also comes back again to how well the ceiling rose is attached to the ceiling.

The Klik style fitting do usually have a maximum weight given in the blurb. I am not sure that I have seen a maximum weight given for a standard pendant (probably sod all as it's wires around hooks).

And of course, as you say, neither matter if it's a screw straight into plasterboard that's holding it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:55 pm 

OnlyMe wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

The Klik style fitting do usually have a maximum weight given in the blurb. I am not sure that I have seen a maximum weight given for a standard pendant (probably sod all as it's wires around hooks).

And of course, as you say, neither matter if it's a screw straight into plasterboard that's holding it up.

I was thinking the other day that I don't think I've ever seen a max weight given for standard pendants.
They have to keep something back to put in the next edition. :-)
Really though most of the "mechanical" stuff comes under "good workmanship" or whatever they call it I suppose

That's the trouble with giving maximum weights for anything. Somebody inevitably comes along and assumes that because part of the system is rated for a certain weight "Then that's OK then"
Goes for most things though really.