DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:17 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:27 pm 

Looking at bathroom illuminated mirrors and it says Suitable for Bathroom Zones 1 (with a separate RCD), 2 and 3.

I would be fitting this above a sink so zone 2/3. Do i connect this to lighting circuit as live feed as its switched on the mirror itself? Also does the seperate rcd statement refer to only zone 1?

(this item is ip44 rated.)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:09 pm 

Hi Lagi

Yes, take a live feed from the lighting circuit but check to see if the manufacturer recommends any further fusing down of the circuit.

As for the RCD you will require one protecting the circuit- if you already have an RCD covering everything (including the bathroom lights) in your fusebox, you need not worry, this will suffice.

Joe.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:30 pm 

The lights are just on 2 circuits. upstairs and downstairs. But there will be bathrooms on each floor.

Is a lighting circuit normally on an rcd then? as i have a Wylex nhrs12sl consumer unit and if i am right i can only have 6 circuits on rcd.

this will have to be tested and certified. Are you sure i can connect to lights as have been doing some reading since posting and most say wire to mains circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:43 am 
Pro Tradesman

you are far better doing as Joe said. it keeps just one sourced circuit in the room. the mirror will be low Wattage anyway i would have thought. as for RCD, yes they are now meant to be on one. the easiest way to do it is to take out an existing MCB for the lights and put an RCBO in it's place.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:15 am 

Sorry, it keeps just one sourced circuit in the room!!!!!!!! Can you explain this.

I think i need to go through my consumer unit and see what needs upgrading but for the moment your agreeing put this on lighting circuit. If so there will already be a light in there so confused about first statement.

-- Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:26 pm --

I have been looking at several and some are saying wired to mains as they were led ones, but after looking into it i would require better light output. Most of these say can be wired to existing light circuit, so easier for me and more suited to what i need.