DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yeah, kinda agree about the plastic grass... Although surely it's designed to let moisture out? An open woven base fabric?

And, apart from rain, the neighbouring slabs are going green - is there possibly excess water hitting the yard? A dodgy drainpipe emptying into the yard or overflowing gutter?

Have you checked your gutters too? And where rainwater runs to in the yard ?
May give a clue to dampness.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:14 pm 
Newly registered Member

Dont suppose anyone knows any inspectors that come round and give a free inspection/quote do they?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

Why would someone do it for free? In any case your garden wall has a cosmetic problem more than a structural one ... I would worry more about the kitchen.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : tomtom1983
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:41 am 
Newly registered Member

I actually fond someone who does it for free, but they are a company based down south unfortunately! :-(

Well the kitchen is currently being left to dry out for while now and then I suppose ill just have to wait and see. Do know someone who has a bit of knowledge when it comes to problems like this so going to try and get in touch with him! :-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:04 pm 
Pro Carpenter

tomtom1983 wrote:
Dont suppose anyone knows any inspectors that come round and give a free inspection/quote do they?

you will have a salesman with a fancy official sounding name just to get a foot in the door
ask him if you can record his observations and comments to put on line for others to watch and see what happens :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ha ha! Im not bothered about a salesman, believe me i can stop any salesman, i just pretend to be a bit nuts and it scares them off! This is the website I found...

http://www.kenwoodplc.co.uk/fast-free-surveys/

Just had someone tell me they could sort the kitchen for £280. Said he would add an 'A Brick' to the outside wall with some damp course!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Barry_Convex wrote:
Yeah, kinda agree about the plastic grass... Although surely it's designed to let moisture out? An open woven base fabric?

And, apart from rain, the neighbouring slabs are going green - is there possibly excess water hitting the yard? A dodgy drainpipe emptying into the yard or overflowing gutter?

Have you checked your gutters too? And where rainwater runs to in the yard ?
May give a clue to dampness.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Well funnily enough you should mention that, just seen that the neighbour two doors down seems to be having some undeground leak coming from his property. It must be somthing serious because it comes out and makes a rather large muddy puddle/mess in the entry. But would that effect my house from two doors/houses away? Its not spurting water (the leak) but it is obviously a large trickle!
All my gutters are fine though, made sure everything was clear and in working order when i painted the house last week! :-)

The grass is designed to let water out so thats all cool, and as for the rainwater the yard is actually on an angle so any water goes straight down to the bottom to a drain. :-)

I can try and get picks of our neighbours leak if thats any help?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 pm 

tomtom1983 wrote:
Well funnily enough you should mention that, just seen that the neighbour two doors down seems to be having some undeground leak coming from his property. It must be somthing serious because it comes out and makes a rather large muddy puddle/mess in the entry. But would that effect my house from two doors/houses away? Its not spurting water (the leak) but it is obviously a large trickle!
All my gutters are fine though, made sure everything was clear and in working order when i painted the house last week! :-)

The grass is designed to let water out so thats all cool, and as for the rainwater the yard is actually on an angle so any water goes straight down to the bottom to a drain. :-)

I can try and get picks of our neighbours leak if thats any help?

The grass may be designed to let water out .. I take it is also designed to let the sun in to dry the concrete yard. And then we got the neighbours' smelly puddle and still looking for a free surveyor.

Are you having us on ... I don't mind carrying on if it entertains you? :hello2:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Well I wish I was having you on! But no.

There is obviously a problem there that I can sort - if only I could identify it.

But Im also trying to do it without having to sell a kidney.

Thats all im doing really, just looking for some advice and trying to present as much info as possible to everyone so then we can hopfully work out what the problem is.

Didnt mean to waste peoples time. People asked questions/raised comments so I answered them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:35 pm 

As I said to you earlier, concentrate on your kitchen. It the kitchen in an extension of the building or is the original build?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes you are right there, I'll defo concentrate on the kitchen first. :thumbleft:

Although it looks like an extension it's actually part of the original build.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:14 am 

Is it a single brick wall? Does it have a flat roof with bitumen paper on it? Could you post a photo of the back of the building?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 am 
Newly registered Member

It is indeed a single brick wall, the roof is not flat and is about 15 years old. (Not the original roof from the build) Not too sure if it has bitumen paper on it though! :-(

Here is some pics, apologies they look abit awful, was taken at 6:30 this morning whilst a three year old was attacking me!

(Not sure but some pics seem to upload the wrong way up - is there a way tovsolve this to make it easier for you?)

Attachments:
File comment: Example of the slant of the roof. (That is the house opposite as I couldnt get our roof in the shot sorry)!
IMG_7837.JPG
IMG_7837.JPG [ 20.53 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
IMG_7838.JPG
IMG_7838.JPG [ 18.54 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
IMG_7835.JPG
IMG_7835.JPG [ 22.53 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
IMG_7836.JPG
IMG_7836.JPG [ 45.12 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
IMG_7834.JPG
IMG_7834.JPG [ 24.52 KiB | Viewed 125 times ]
IMG_7833.JPG
IMG_7833.JPG [ 20.01 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:47 pm 

the wall is shot, paintin an foolin around here an there wont help. someone tried repointing on the other side . its not done properly . go 50/50 with the neighbor an rebuild.
the photo of te house kitchenoutside wall shows DPC injection holes.looks like then the wall is solid. remove all that paint, rakeout to 25mm and point withlimeandsand mortar.
inside you have sometimes to go back to brick and render with sandandlime but you would have a job doing that in a full kitchen.
does the kit have a extractor?

edit. thats a nine inch wall not a single skin wall.
btw the bathroom wastes need joining and clipping

Last edited by wes56 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:55 pm 

Looking again in your kitchen photos you have a problem which seems a bit more than a joke. Where the paint was off the plaster looked rather wet. I am not an engineer of any kind but here are a few random suggestions.

- are the kitchen walls single brick? If yes they will be too cold and any steam will condense on them?
- if the cooker hood vented outside or recirculating air and do use use the hood?
- Was the kitchen as bad before you started painting the outside? I am just thinking if the pointing was a bit passed its sell by date and you covered it with paint you may be trapping more instead of less moisture.

At a minimum I would say you need to be venting warm/moist air out of the kitchen, more than that I don't have the knowledge. Ask your neighbours if they are having similar problems and if not try to figure out the differences in use.

=================
Coincidence :-) Wes is after the wall too.