Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:14 am

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:33 am 
Old School Chippie

....until this Ozzie educated me:

But my problem is that I'm over 30, I suppose. But I do know that not all people of that age are like her. Yesterday I was on a customer site where a lot of the staff are under 25. It's a business in the hospitality sector (a large restaurant) and the staff couldn't be more different to this young woman.

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"Success is 99% failure" - Soichiro Honda

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 am 

She is pathetic but hey ho, nothing is her fault. I liked the hand movements, they must have been intended to express openness and honesty :? Mind you, in true miserable git fashion, I would not subscribe to his channel either :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:33 am 
Old School Chippie

Then you won't like the follow up, either:

TBH I wouldn't subscribe, but it's nice to see a little bit of a sarcastic push back from time to time. Oh, and could someone explain micro aggression to me, please?

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 am 

If you get no answers on "micro aggression" I will have to ask a friend who is into all the stuff. Sure it is "micro" and not "passive aggressive" or something like that? If the Ozzie guy mentioned it, sorry I missed it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:47 am 

Snowflake - usually self important, offend by anything that isn't in there own agenda - Nothing is there fault, money is usually like water, but have £10000's of debt

oh and everything should be handed to them on a silver platter

UD's definition -

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... =Snowflake

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... ggressions

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:59 pm 

We get lots of requests in a similar fashion - Mrs k_e sells candles and receives loads of emails from those wanting to 'feature our products' at their (personal) wedding events in return for photo coverage in magazines etc.

Yes, they always want the candles for free - and we're not talking a couple of quid, we're talking £100's worth.

Our response is ALWAYS, "yes, sure, we'll be happy to invoice you for the goods and if we consider the subsequent advertising to be to our standards we might consider a discount on the final bill".

Not ONE has come back and accepted it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:33 pm 

I showed Mrs D this and she told me to turn it off before she had a raging fury at the stupid blogger. The Aussie guy is very funny.

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:14 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
We get lots of requests in a similar fashion - Mrs k_e sells candles and receives loads of emails from those wanting to 'feature our products' at their (personal) wedding events in return for photo coverage in magazines etc.

Yes, they always want the candles for free - and we're not talking a couple of quid, we're talking £100's worth.

Our response is ALWAYS, "yes, sure, we'll be happy to invoice you for the goods and if we consider the subsequent advertising to be to our standards we might consider a discount on the final bill".

Not ONE has come back and accepted it!

Have you offered to loan them out for these kinds of things?

I have done that before, a lot of companies are not really interested in keeping the item, they just want to dress their set or model as cheaply as possible but using nice items. If you responded and said you were happy to loan out the candles for X number of days and negotiate on shipping costs etc then you get great advertising at little to no cost to yourselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:58 pm 

The last time we loaned stuff out it was for an article in the Times Supplement - it was a set of giant wax garden vases (like large Greek urns) and we thought "yeah.... national coverage.... bring on the orders!" and got eff all response!

We've been asked to 'donate' to the Oscars and once made some giant candles with playing card motifs on them and large 'dice-shaped' candles on the top for some gambling event (I can't recall the name). The hassle of even delivering them cost us a fortune and, once again, the promised coverage/potential sales never came about.

We're 'done' with lending stuff out for publicity sake but people asking for 'freebies' is nothing new - but in the case of the snowflake as above, no-one (that we know of) took umbrage at our refusal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:13 pm 

Fair enough :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 pm 
Old School Chippie

Rorschach wrote:
Have you offered to loan them out for these kinds of things?

I have done that before, a lot of companies are not really interested in keeping the item, they just want to dress their set or model as cheaply as possible but using nice items. If you responded and said you were happy to loan out the candles for X number of days and negotiate on shipping costs etc then you get great advertising at little to no cost to yourselves.

Turning it on it's head - I like it!

Gerald Pauschman (the Ozzie) also did a web cast about racism where he systematically pulled apart the misconceptions of a group of young people who seemed to think that many things said to them were overtly racist. I'm male, white, middle-aged (elderly) and British - so I've obviously never been on the receiving end of any form of "ism", I'm just someone who gives it out. Yeah, right. :roll: On the other hand the sh*t I've had heaped on my head on quite a few occasions over Brexit (always without anyone asking my views - I'm pidgeon-holed simply because I'm old) is perfectly OK because at my age I deserve it....... I've only watched a few of the Ozzie's podcasts but I find the guy to be hilarious - by just putting up a contra argument. Some of the responses he gets to his podcasts are unbelieveable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:37 pm 

Bob225 wrote:
Snowflake - usually self important, offend by anything that isn't in there own agenda - Nothing is there fault, money is usually like water, but have £10000's of debt

oh and everything should be handed to them on a silver platter

UD's definition -

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... =Snowflake

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... ggressions

I'd go further than the "Urban dictionary" definition. I see some of these "snowflakes" waiting at bus stops, always sitting and on their phones checking out how many "likes" they have received on twit face...

They are sitting waiting for the bus because if they stood for more than 10 minutes they would melt...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:33 pm 

one of my mates is a bit mad. insists on not carrying cash anywhere. pays for everything with his apple watch. consequently if we go to a bar that is cash only he storms off in a huff :lol: :lol:

hes gonna be f*cked when he wants building work or whatever done cheap isnt he

Time zone: Europe/London