DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:36 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:23 pm 
Elephant Man

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd be testing some of the new generation of hybrid WB glosses and posting the results for the general information of those of you using this type of paint. All of which follows is my just opinion, and as such, shouldn't be read as Gospel Truth. In addition, the test was done simply on a sample board, not in a paying job situation, so findings aren't exhaustive.

The glosses on test are not the familiar Crown, Dulux etc WB paints you may be used to, but some of the less well known brands. Being tested are:

Alcro Servalac Exklusiv

Beckers Aqua Lackfärg

Bedec Aqua Enamel

Tikkurila Helmi

Dead image link removed by admin

Jotun Jotalak

As a baseline that most will be familiar with, Johnstones Aqua Gloss will also be included in the test. All will be painted onto boarding primed with Zinsser BIN, undercoated with Sikkens Rubbol BL primer and double-coated with the gloss in question. Though this is strictly breaking from using a manufacturer recommended system, it 'levels the playing field', so to speak, and eliminates the variable of proprietary undercoats. This is only being done for the purpose of this test, and individuals may prefer to use different base coat systems. Also, water and flow additives were not used, in order to gauge the performance characteristics of the paint in its raw state. Brush used was a Proform Contractor 2"

The paints will be measured on Ease of Application, Flow, Drying & Re-coat, and Gloss Level. Value for money/price is not the concern of this test, as individual job requirements/customer budget all change the perception of this aspect of material specification anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALCRO SERVELAC EXKLUSIV

The first of these new paints is Alcro Servelac Exclusiv, a hybrid high gloss enamel from Scandinavia.

Application
For those of you used to conventional acrylics and the way they apply, this is quite a shock actually. It's a non-drip paint, though not strictly a jelly (like the oil non-drips) but is still quite heavy bodied and will likely suit Chinex down to the ground. Not the easiest paint to apply with the softer Contractor, as it has the consistency of slightly relaxed PVA. An acquired taste I suspect. 6/10

Flow
Surprisingly, the non-drip nature of this paint translates into very good flow, with the initial brushmarks quickly lying down to a smooth level. You need to work at getting the coating even, and it needs careful laying off. 8/10

Drying & Re-coat
One of the more prolonged drying paints here. Touch dry in 6 hours and re-coatable in 16 hours. Not a lot of advantage over oil on this one. 5/10

Gloss Level
Rated 80-90 percent sheen, it was one of the shinier paints on test here, and over a smoother surface will be very impressive. 9/10

Conclusion: Not an unpleasant paint to use, but for all it's abilities has it's quirks. Going back to non-drip seems a bit DIY in one respect, but a very capable finish just the same. There seems quite a lot of 'build' to this paint, so may be one for new wood. The brushes need a hefty washing, as the paint really clings to the filaments, so I'd have brush cleaner ready for this one after use.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BECKERS AQUA LACKFARG

The second one we have is Beckers Aqua Lackfärg and is not surprisingly another Scandinavian coating.

Application
Of all the paints here, this is the one which 'feels' most like oil in application. It has a slightly thin consistency which gives the wrong impression that opacity will be poor, which is not the case. For all the world, you could be forgiven for thinking you're applying pre-2010 gloss as it goes on easily and smoothly. It sets quite fast, so one for additives, and mini-roller for the larger areas is a necessity. The viscosity lends itself to excellent cutting of fine edges. 8/10

Flow
Given the oil-like feel of this one, the flow is quite outstanding. It feels like Satura in some ways, so not one to load on and lay off. Best to check over mouldings after a 5 minutes to catch any tears that may form. Otherwise excellent. 9/10

Drying & Re-coat
Touch dry in 4 hours and re-coatable in 8 hours. Expected range for this sort of paint. 7/10

Gloss Level
Rated 70 per cent sheen, it appears higher that the figure would suggest. The texture of the surface plays a large part, so one for the flatter/pre-painted surfaces. 7/10

Conclusion:
A lovely paint, which has a nice feel and viscosity to it. Good opacity, good brush cleaning and very hard drying. It's rapid setting means you have to modify the recipe slightly and/or you need to work fast. It's only failing is the truly awful design of the lid, but otherwise excellent paint and one of the best I've used.

BEDEC AQUA ENAMEL

Third paint on test in Bedec Aqua Enamel, a high gloss polyurethane enamel.

Application
A paint that becoming more widespread and rightly so, as it has a lovely silky (though not really oily) feel to it. It spreads out well, especially over itself, has good opacity and a viscosity that feels about right. It doesn't set as rapidly as Beckers, but you still need to keep a health pace up or you'll get edges forming. Edge coverage is excellent and it rolls out without any stickiness, as some of these paints can have a gluey feel to them. None of that here. 9/10

Flow
Average may seem a little harsh, and only in the context of some of these other coatings; but brushmarks do settle out well and an even brushmark free finish is quite easy. Quite a forgiving paint, and is not prone to running, but again, best to treat like oil and be safe. Responds very well to additive and is extremely controllable. 9/10

Drying & Re-coat
Touch dry in 30 minutes and re-coatable in 4 hours. Bedec have got the productivity aspect of this one covered, and the ability to get 2 coats on in one day is very easy. In practice 2-3 hours is usually possible, and the bonus is that it's very workable before it starts to settle. Almost one for the DIY'er but not a criticism of the quality of this paint in any way. 10/10

Gloss Level
Rated at 80 per cent sheen, so not quite at the top of its class, but not far away, and over smooth surfaces it gives a very high gloss finish indeed. 8/10

Conclusion:
A paint that I suspect has had a fair bit of testing prior to its release. It's one of the best all-round coatings (of any kind) currently on the market IMO, and has all the requirements covered to a high standard. It's also very kind on your brushes, and washes out easily. An everyday paint, that can be used with confidence.

TIKKURILA HELMI

The fourth of these glosses is Tikkurila Helmi, a Finnish made, hard wearing high gloss.

Application
One that suits the softer brushes, it has a beautiful consistency, brushes out evenly with very little effort. It feels more like a traditional acrylic in this sense, and has very little of the stickiness associated with these sort of paints as it goes on so easily. One of the thinner paints here. I may have had an old tin, but watch out for congealed ropes of paint around the rim of the can when you open it. Slight gripe 8/10

Flow
I suspect top preparation and surface flatness will be critical with this one, as it didn't seem to level out as well as I had hoped. Additives will aid this, but in its raw state, I was a bit disappointed TBH. 4/10

Drying & Re-coat
Touch dry in 1 hour and re-coatable in 16 hours. The 16 hour re-coat time seems excessive in light of it's rapid setting, but it retains a certain softness/tack for quite a while, so best to observe these figures. 5/10

Gloss Level
I couldn't find a percentage in the literature, but 70 percent is nominal for this type of paint. In all honesty, I was disappointed in the sheen level of this coating, but more prolonged testing may prove otherwise. Not one I've used extensively, but rather semi-gloss I felt. 4/10

Conclusion:
A bit of a Curates Egg I think. It does get well reviewed elsewhere, and is recommended for kitchen cabinets and furniture, so is very hard wearing, and may explain the lack of outright brilliant shine. Not an everyday paint, and may excel in certain applications more than others. It also had a very slight yellowness to it, which on it's own would never be noticed, but side by side with these other paints it was very apparent.

JOTUN JOTALAK

The last of these paints is one I've been itching to try for a wee while now - Jotun Jotalak, a high gloss PU modified alkyd.

Application
Straight from the tin, this paint is very heavy, and has a viscosity similar, in fact thicker than the Alcro, which is non-drip. Even after a thorough stir from the bottom of the tin, it remained very gloopy. The Contractor is probably not the brush for this paint, but to keep things even it was used. This is a Chinex paint for sure. The paint feels incredibly sticky and oily, to the point that if it were a blind test, you could mistake it for an OB paint. It needed a good brushing out, and will suit a mini-roller better, but stays workable for a while so not a panic. Opacity is excellent however, probably on account of the thickness of the paint film. It seems almost thixotropic. 7/10

Flow
For all its jelly consistency and need to brush out, once an even coat has been achieved, it levels off nicely and doesn't seem too bad for brushmarks at all. 8/10

Drying & Re-coat
Hope you're sitting down for this. Touch dry in 3 hours and re-coatable in 16-24 hours! Far and away the longest re-coat interval I have encountered in any of these hybrid paints so far. You're almost into Rubbol XD territory with these numbers, so not one for multiple coats in the one day. 2/10

Gloss Level
Rated at 90+ per cent sheen. Given that I suspect there's a whole lot of oil in this one, the sheen level didn't disappoint, being near the top in this test. I'd say the Alcro and the Jotun are around level in terms of perceived gloss level. 9/10

Conclusion:
In its raw state, it's actually a bit of a wrist breaker. I'll do more testing with this one with additives as I think they'll help greatly. Use a chinex brush to shove it around and you'll be on a winner, but the mini-roller again will be an essential on the flats, just to spread an even coat. It appears to be another one for the brush cleaner, as it sticks to the filaments under the tap, and needs a bit of rubbing to clean well. Idiosyncrasies aside, it leaves a fine end result and looks good. 8/10

SUMMARY

As was said at the outset, any tests are just that......tests. They are only my opinion of a particular product at a given time, with a given set of circumstances and done in what spare time I have. The results are by no stretch of imagination conclusive or definitive, and many of you may have different findings on these paints over time, which in the fullest sense of things, is to be hoped for; as by that, we all gain a greater knowledge of what's out there, and how it's perceived by a wider section of this trade.

The purpose of this was simply to give a heads-up, so to speak, on some of the more recent paints to come onto the market, and demonstrate that we're not in a situation of having a couple of WB/hybrid glosses to choose from. Things have changed since the early days of WB paints, and with luck this will give those of you who haven't tried some of these paints, the jump-off to do so.

Further experimentation by others will level out or disprove my findings entirely, and such variables as brush selection, additive, lighting etc will paint a fuller picture. We are the unpaid testers of this industry, but hopefully with perseverance, we shall all benefit from each-others experiences as we move forward into this New & Improved area of our jobs.

And if you have read all my inane ramblings from the beginning - I salute and thank you for your efforts. :salute:

Attachments:
Main Board (Custom).JPG
Main Board (Custom).JPG [ 98.53 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
Alcro Servelac (Custom).JPG
Alcro Servelac (Custom).JPG [ 104.86 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
Beckers (Custom).JPG
Beckers (Custom).JPG [ 92.68 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
Bedec (Custom).JPG
Bedec (Custom).JPG [ 94.95 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
Helmi (Custom).JPG
Helmi (Custom).JPG [ 98.02 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
Jotalak (Custom).JPG
Jotalak (Custom).JPG [ 102.92 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]
Jonstones Aqua (Custom).JPG
Jonstones Aqua (Custom).JPG [ 98.42 KiB | Viewed 4288 times ]

For this message the author dynamod has received thanks - 11: B Richardson Decor, Colour Republic, getthewheelsinline, Jimmy_123, Lewis H, mattjk, OchAye, Puma, Steve68, transitboy, upagumtree
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:26 pm 

Well done that man :thumbright:
Right as you've obviously got time to kill.. :mrgreen: on with the satin test :-P :lol:

For this message the author B Richardson Decor has received thanks - 2: dynamod, Puma
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:43 pm 
Elephant Man

BRD - Watch this space................I just might :thumbup:

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : B Richardson Decor
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

And then the non-hybrids ;-)

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Cheers dynamod good stuff :thumbright:

For this message the author Jimmy_123 has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:14 pm 

Nice post mate :thumbright: The only thing missing was the prices. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
If I had to type that out mate ,I would not had finish to 2014 :-)
Looking at the individual photos, would you say jonnos aqua had the highest sheen ?.

For this message the author transitboy has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:47 pm 
Elephant Man

Transit, I left the prices out on purpose, as seeing the results without knowing what individual paints cost, would hopefully create a less tainted/biased perception of the end results. :thumbright:

There's a lot of 'diminishing returns' going on here though, as some of these coatings are around £80 for 3 litres, while others are around the £30 for 2.5 litres, and value is based, ultimately, on what a customers budget/expectations are. In the end it's the customer who pays, not us. The Beckers was on offer at £25/3 litres not long back, but has sold out. :cb

The highest sheen IMO will be a tie between Alcro and Jotun, with Aqua VERY close and Beckers and Bedec right behind. Helmi is a bit off the pace gloss-wise, but seeing them on a board, and seeing them in situ in a room will be different again. Jonnos still has a very good sheen level, but has a tendency to lose it's high gloss a bit too quickly for comfort.

Now all that's left is to stick the board into a nice dark corner of the workshop and see what dulls/yellows and what doesn't. But these paints may be replaced in turn by newer paints before long when VOC 2015 hits us. Time will tell for that one.

Combine the sheen of Alcro, the flow and oil-like nature of Beckers, and the practicality (and price) of Bedec, and you'd be on a winner.

OchAye.......I think that one may have to wait till another day :lol:

For this message the author dynamod has received thanks - 2: OchAye, transitboy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:58 pm 

dynamod wrote:
Now all that's left is to stick the board into a nice dark corner of the workshop and see what dulls/yellows and what doesn't. But these paints may be replaced in turn by newer paints before long when VOC 2015 hits us. Time will tell for that one.
What 2015, is this real or you just picked it up from the hat ... metaphorically speaking etc?
Quote:
OchAye.......I think that one may have to wait till another day :lol:
Do not worry ... I am not a gloss person :huray: I like matt (that is why I think Crown's satin have been good ... as matt as they come).

Shame you are not nearer, I would always try and scrounge something out from local Crown DC for you to test.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:14 pm 

VOC info here

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/air/pol ... report.pdf

Don't worry its only 550 odd pages long :lol: :lol:

But 2015 is a measuring point for VOC emissions and also 2020.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:19 pm 

Thank f*ck for that ,I will be retired by 2020 or dead :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:21 pm 

upagumtree wrote:
I will look at the PDF when I had some wine :mrgreen: As they say the writing is on the wall. Change now is the sort and long of it.

Can someone tell the Deccies at my work that oil gloss yellows (it was used last week in an area that has no natural light). Taking pride in your work 'n all that....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:27 pm 

OchAye wrote:
upagumtree wrote:
I will look at the PDF when I had some wine :mrgreen: As they say the writing is on the wall. Change now is the sort and long of it.

Can someone tell the Deccies at my work that oil gloss yellows (it was used last week in an area that has no natural light). Taking pride in your work 'n all that....

Sadly many deccies are sticking their heads in the sand regarding oil based issues.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Elephant Man

Not for long if the new round of VOC regs go the way some are speculating. No more oil in 18 months for insides, may happen.

The good thing is, I reckon the vast majority of us lot on here are already more than well prepared...............so long as they don't utterly b*llox the formulas of WB paints again; though I think they're below the proposed limits anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:58 pm 

Looks like the limits for water based will stay the same, but the limits for oil based will be halved. This means they will have to change. (pg 107 of the document.)

18 months?

http://www.bristoldecorator.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:08 pm 
Elephant Man

I thought I read it will be around June or July 2015 when the new regs will take effect. :scratch: Might have picked that one up wrong?

:dunno: