DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:55 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 pm 
Bristle Buff

Superb test and info DM. The Bedec (on my screen at least) is so white!!! Looks very nice indeed, really crisp.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Steve68 has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:02 pm 

Thanks Dynamod, superb analysis. I had never even heard of a couple of these, but will certainly keep them in mind from now on.

For this message the author Bikergirl has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:48 am 

dynamod wrote:
I thought I read it will be around June or July 2015 when the new regs will take effect. :scratch: Might have picked that one up wrong?

:dunno:
That is 18 months from now give or take a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:21 am 
Elephant Man

Not sure if Puma was thinking start of 2015 or mid-2015 when new regs take effect OchAye. 12-18 months either way, so let's get practising our dry cutting now before OB leaves the room. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:25 am 

Well done on that analysis Dyno, very informative. I must say that I have become accustomed to Johnstones water based and although it takes a bit of time to get used to I have been very pleased with the undercoat, gloss and satin I have used. It seems a bit hard on brushes and I have been using white spirit and then washing out in soapy water to get the brush, and my hands, clean.

I have also just re-emulsioned my sitting room and, after using some Dulux rubbish recently (four coats) on the ma in law's lounge, it has excellent covering power by comparison. The only thing I have noticed is that it is taking a while for the fumes to go which seem a bit pungent. This might be due to the fact that it is difficult to vent the room as it is too cold to have windows open and the heating on.

I also ditched my last old lambswool roller and used a new Harris synthetic which I found very good as I had read somewhere that the synthetics were better with Johnno's emulsion.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:36 am 
Elephant Man

Microfibre sleeves are very nice, but you should have a go with the Axus Merino sleeves. They're not the cheapest around, but leave a lovely finish. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:47 am 

Sorry to question the dates Dynamod. Just checking really - there will be plenty of people who want to stock up with the current oil based products, given the problems they had with the first round of changes. I think we might see drying times go up again and severe yellowing problems - they might sort it out in time though we'll have to wait and see. Generally I think they'll have to up the yellowing resin level to compensate for the reduction in solvents (as they did last time) and just like a thick layer of varnish this will extend the drying times unless they can find a work around. The work around might mean hybridization of oils or putting up with failing products and the subsequent complaints in the worst case scenario. There was some mention of the cost of installing drying machinery in furniture manufacturers in the Regs Doc - so it looks like this could well be an issue ( I certainly did not read the whole thing!)

http://www.bristoldecorator.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:05 pm 
Elephant Man

Not at all mate. :thumbright:

Starting to sound like Armageddon Part 2 might be around the corner.

I suspect that getting the solvent content down is going to be the only item on the agenda. Consequences and knock-on effects to end users will just be a Buyer Beware scenario.......or possibly residual paranoia from the last round of changes is tainting my feelings somewhat. Dunno.

Given how little apparent R&D seems to be going on with OB these days, the changeover to hybrid coatings makes more sense than ever, and getting caught with our trousers and trolleys down round our ankled like last time, is a situation we all (manufacturers too) want to avoid at all costs. I suspect that compensation won't be on the table this time around. Disclaimers to use WB products are already in place and will only become more prevalent for manufacturers.

Going back the the test. We actually need more of us on places like this, trialling new products and their long-term performance, so as the Trade doesn't get caught flat with each subsequent change in the law. The down side inevitably means the unaware public get caught in the middle of an issue, directly affecting them, but which they have no real interest in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 pm 

Dyna mate. Should it be us really trialling these new water base paints ,isn't it the manufactures job to get it right :dunno: :dunno: .
Lets face it we give Dulux a hard time, so maybe if we gave some of these other manufactures (water base trim paints) a hard time they might sort it out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm 

dynamod wrote:
Not at all mate. :thumbright:

Starting to sound like Armageddon .

As in I'm aregedding out of this trade as its getting far too complicated :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:20 pm 
Elephant Man

transitboy wrote:
Should it be us really trialling these new water base paints ,isn't it the manufactures job to get it right

Yes and no. It's a tricky one, as yes, a manufacturer should have paints 'field tested' to prove their worth, but by the same token, the feedback they get (and hopefully listen to) from us lot will help a particular coating evolve throughout it's working life cycle. Inevitably, no paint will receive universal praise, and personal/collective opinion will play a large part in how these paints are seen to perform.

Dulux Trade Diamond Satin, for example, is a much improved paint, hopefully from the input/criticism given by pro deccies using it in the real world. The real trick is if manufacturers listen and take on board what we say. There are a great many variables that affect paint performance, and I honestly believe that us forum sorts are at the front of what's current in this trade.

It's more useful to think of what we're doing, as discovering the little wrinkles that can make these particular paints work better. Only by numerous professionals, using different techniques, different brushes, different base coats etc, will we come to have a fuller understanding of how to get the best from new paints. There will always be the ones we all struggle to make anything of, but as you correctly say, its then we should get straight onto the manufacturers and tell them 'Product X is crap - Get it sorted or we go elsewhere'.

Part of the issue I suspect, is how you work these new paints into a work environment where you want something with a proven track record and not be sticking your neck out with something new. But it's fun, and a little bit exciting working on the edge though I reckon. :wink:

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : transitboy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:33 am 

Personally, I wish they would come up with an oil based paint with less voc's and did not yellow.... You just can't beat an oil finish imo.... Is it possible?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:43 pm 

Joeprodecor wrote:
Personally, I wish they would come up with an oil based paint with less voc's and did not yellow.... You just can't beat an oil finish imo.... Is it possible?

But this is the point really, if oil based was staying they would have got oil based right now, instead the money is going into better water based products.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:13 am 

Personally I hope the paints and application tools get a lot more difficult. This will hope fully weed out the Bob a job, Darwin awards f***wits that assume if you can p*ss you can paint. Leaving it to professional people who actually do their homework, learn and take the trade seriously and take pride in their work. Waterbased gloss's etc' are still such an enigma up here to most folk, they just won't go near it, even after I advise them about it. I practice at home or on the random " love " job I do for family.

Big thanks to DM on this. I cannot tell you how much I have learnt off this forum. :thumbleft:

For this message the author Mikeybonsai has received gratitude : dynamod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:52 pm 

Most only use it so they have a excuse to buy new brushes mate.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-) :-)

For this message the author transitboy has received gratitude : OchAye
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next