DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 pm 

I'm overseeing (not doing any labour myself) the total refurb of a 3 bed bungalow, knocking the garage into the living room. Wall taken out & into a skip; doors skirtings etc. in another skip. Electrician total rewire last week, chases filled, plasterers in as we speak skimming everything. Windows ordered, central heating engineer in hand, garden landscaper......... I'm just paying the bills.

Seeing the skips outside we've had numerous callers stopping by, scrap dealers, builders merchant reps. & Howdens rep. who has given me an account & a massive catalogue.

Visiting their branch today it seems a right pain this evening, as they don't have a pricelist or website login, having to go through the book selecting alternative types of internal door x 9 + 1 smaller, different packs of door furniture x 8 + bathroom + a one way cupboard, quickfit + jig kit, all separate components, etc., etc. to ask for pricing. £7.02 plus VAT for a HKB1574 38mm chrome cupboard doorknob? At least they're free planning the kitchen themselves on Thursday.

So what do the professionals & semi-pro handymen on this forum do? Do you trust H implicitly, tell them basically what you want then accept what they deliver? Do you specify precisely? Do you analyse the catalogue? Do you agonise over the detailed costings?

It strikes me that it's just as easy, as it's what I've been doing for years, to browse the internet over a glass of wine & order the stuff online at 11pm for delivery to site.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm 

They've given me a printed quote, based on what I could remember on the spot, for the doors and furniture - that they wanted to sell me. Apart from the fact that I don't like some of the items, the quote shows Disc% of 86.74, 48.93, 75.00, 57.17, etc., etc.and its all separate bits. Like the door handle doesn't come in a bathroom version so it needs a separate lock.

Do they have different discount bands for different accounts? Am I supposed to keep tweaking the list and looking at the bottom line?

I'm thinking that if I want 20 door hinges, I prefer ebay......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:29 pm 

You need an 80% discount at howdens for them to even be competitive. It’s a right pain tbh as it’s a constant haggle with them which is time consuming and frustrating. If you are ordering a kitchen do not pay a penny up front until the lot is delivered as they ain’t interested if the inevitable parts are missing or damaged and you’ve coughed up the money up front.
You should’ve got a nice freebie for opening an account tho,cordless drill or radio.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : arco_iris
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:39 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
You should’ve got a nice freebie for opening an account tho,cordless drill or radio.

HHuummpphh. Wouldn't have had any use for either of those, anyway. As a long-time DIYer I have four servicable cordless drills and use them all side by side, drill with one/screw with another, and an old dust-covered cassette ghetto blaster that still gets Radio 2 on a stick aerial.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:47 pm 
Pro Carpenter

as an aside
do not buy the funky square edge laminate worktop with the glued on thick front edge it trouble and blows :lol:

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : arco_iris
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:10 pm 

Howdens are really desperate atm. They send me sh*t in the post nearly every week and they only gave up ringing every other week recently. However they might as well not bother as until they sack the useless rude fat sack of sh*t that resides behind the counter at my local depot I won't be darkening their door again. Cheap or otherwise.

You'd be better off finding trade suppliers online me thinks, timber merchants, ironmongers, independent kitchen suppliers etc.

And as you say, discount is utterly irrelevant; if the price was stupid to begin with it's meaningless. It's what's left to pay that counts. As my friend says to me about trying to get a sensible price from Travis Perkins... "Roll a 6 to begin". :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:27 pm 

I understand the comments about the kitchen, are they any good for the doord? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:53 pm 

Cantseeitfrommyhouse wrote:
Howdens are really desperate atm. They send me sh*t in the post nearly every week and they only gave up ringing every other week recently.

Well, well, well - had a call this afternoon to see if they could help with anything.

I said, your kitchen planner was here an hour ago, but haven't had the quote yet. Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:58 am 

For ironmongery stuff you get what you pay for from this company http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:39 pm 

i find them absolutely fine. just send people to see em and they usually get a kitchen from them. they can be a bit expensive but if ya hagggle they seem to be ok. my local benchmarx keep telling me that their 32 inch doors are actually 32 1/4 and ya have to plane em to suit. ive pointed out to all of them each time that they are metric doors and they actually sell propper imperial 32 inch doors also. even the manager tried this with me.