DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:29 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have a Sky Q hub, and it has two ethernet ports. I have the need for three ports and bought a splitter but it does not work.

I don't think the splitter is faulty, it might just be the wrong one I need. It is from Maplin and is called a CAT 6 Network Splitter. It states that one splitter must be used at each end. I asked them in the branch what that meant, but the staff member could not answer that. I think it is this that is the issue. I only purchased one. Was I meant to have purchased two and put one into each of the ethernet ports?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:34 pm 

No, you need a SWITCH not a splitter.

A switch collects a set of signals through an incoming port & duplicates them to its remaining ports, they usually come 5-port (giving you 4 more from one) or 8-port (giving you 7) and they are not expensive.

End of reply, question answered.

I do know what a splitter does, I've typed it out over the last half-hour at length, but in short, I've realised that you don't need to know, take it back for a refund.

They should not be sold singly as they only do their job in pairs. The spotty oik in the store you bought it from ought to know, must have been a Saturday kid, just can't get knowledgeable trained staff these days. Even in McDonalds.

They are for taking TWO ports of the router, combining them, and sending the data down ONE cable (because a port uses four terminals but a cable has eight wires) then at the other end the opposite splitter picks up from one cable x8 and directs the data back to two (x4) ports. This saves cable, 4 twice = 8. Though simple in practice, the wiring diagram isn't, because ethernet only uses cores 1, 2, 3, & 6 and the unused cores are 4, 5, 7 & 8 and they must be in the right order. The splitter you bought probably has a wiring diagram printed on it am I right?

Meerkat simples peoples.

For this message the author arco_iris has received thanks - 2: multiman, Timllfixit